Crane Flipped- outriggers sank-PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanarbor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Crane Flipped- outriggers sank

On the street right by one of our client's properties, another tree company rolled their crane over. The outrigger was set on soft ground with no cribbing or pads, and when they swung the boom over center (unloaded) the crane fell over. One of our guys was on an adjacent property and got pictures, which I will post when available.

Update w/ Pics!

Apparently, it wasn't that they didn't use pads, but they set up on the drainfield.

The first picture is at 10am

The second picture is around midday. The plan was this: The silver tahoe at the front of the truck has a rope tied off to the bumper, run through a block at the base of the highlighted tree, up to a block at the top, and then to the boom of the crane. This, along with tow trucks winching the undercarriage of the crane was going to stand it up.

the third pic is from around 3 when it was decided that the best thing to upright a fallen crane with is another crane. The best part was that the owner figured. that once their crane was uprighted, they could just fire it up and continue to finish the job. On a side note I had observed this same company doing a removal a couple days before with the crane, and they were butt hitching tops into the boom like it was a lowering line.

I find it disturbing that so many people have to watch the action right up close while doing a dangerous pick with another crane to fix the first mistake. Hopefully no one was injured and they learned a lesson in preparation for the future.

Also, what size or model is the crane picking the one that tipped?
Has got to be a 100+ ton.

They had the luck of the devil, nobody got hurt. The crane in the street was probably a 36 ton, I'm familiar with the company, and recognized the equipment. I think the crane that flipped was a 12 or 17, not sure.

According to our guy that took the pics, it wasn't damaged all that badly, definately needs repair, but the ground was so soft that it mostly just got piledrove into the mud. The ground being that soft should have maybe clued them into the fact that setting up a crane there wasn't so smart?

Looks like a good possibilty of clashing the booms together when the tipsy one falls back on its feet if they dont crib it and let it down easy. Looks more like get rid of the evidence quick instead of an engineered recovery. A lot of small companies work right up to tipping capacity and the hell with the rated load at that reach (which would include a safety factor) Once it gets to be established practice in the area, anyone who tries to stay within the rated loads gets shunned in favour of the risk takers. I have a friend I do some work for that is caught in this position with his boom truck. He is worried sick every time it leaves the yard. It is an 8 tonner doing 15 ton work!

Just to clarify... They weren't even taking a pick at that point when the crane went over. There was no load on the boom. I looked at the site today with all the equip. out, and it was a mud pit. They just picked a really lousy set up.

Yeah, our guy with the camera! Notice....not 1 hard hat in all those pitchers. I'm willing to bet our guy was wearing his though

Heard of a similar accident in a yard... no load... just setting up to move some wood and over goes the crane... And the moral of the story is....?????

CYA

Set it up right... every time

Latest posts

Back