Cranes and OSHA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ritchie

Reaction score
OK guys, the crane company that I use got in some trouble last week with OSHA. Now they are saying that we can not use the crane to place our climbers in a tree. I think you can use the crane but the climber can not be tied into the hook. He has to be tied into the cable itself.

Any thoughts?

Did you try searching the site using your subject line? Although you may be looking for the most up to date info, I think several of these threads are recent.
Happy reading.

Did you try searching the site using your subject line? Although you may be looking for the most up to date info, I think several of these threads are recent.
Happy reading.

What he said, but the ANSI Z-133 addresses tieing in over the ball.

If you are a TCIA member, they may help you and your contractor with OSHA

Ritchie try this web site.

www.********/pdf/mar07-cb.pdf

Print a copy for your crane co., good info and pic.s.

And if all else fails, like John Paul said the ANSI Z-133.1. However if you follow this to the letter you will never get anything done without proper paper work and the tree is stone dead.

Good luck and good reading.

Last edited:
This is the very issue I mentioned after watching that Nosak guy and his crew up and down on the hook into the trees. I know in MA nobody is allowed on the hook.

We have a sling that a local Crane Supply company sewed together for us. It's essentially a 2ft strap with a locked clevis up top that goes around the cable above the ball and a caribiner with a pulley on the bottom. The pulley ends up at the same height as the hook and your rope never gets hung under the slings. Costs about $50 all together. It's been approved by all the OSHA folks in our area so far and it works very well.

TT

Back