crank bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

325ed

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
are after market crank bearings any good and if i took my old bearing to pats store can they match it up

are after market crank bearings any good and if i took my old bearing to pats store can they match it up

Well I'm no expert on the quality of aftermarket bearings but I will say if you are talking about going to an auto parts store make sure it's not something like an Autozone or Advance. If you have a "real" parts house near you then they might be able to help.

Well I'm no expert on the quality of aftermarket bearings but I will say if you are talking about going to an auto parts store make sure it's not something like an Autozone or Advance. If you have a "real" parts house near you then they might be able to help.

we have carquest he told me there are several bearing manufactors they go through

Play it safe and buy OEM. They will fit and you wont have to worry about them.

You'll be fine. The odd time you have to get certain bearings from the OEM, but most OEM don't make their own bearings, so don't sweat it. I always use "aftermarket" if that's what you want to call it. Just get C3 rated bearings if you can.

we have carquest he told me there are several bearing manufactors they go through

That's funny because I work for Carquest. However we are a independent store not company owned. That's kinda what I was suggesting since we are an independent we have a lot of access to different things the company owned stores do not. I know we have a couple of bearing suppliers we use that have a lot of odd size bearings.

just make sure they are from a good company like skf, nsk , fafnir etc. my old skf 3203 c3 bearings were from italy and the new skfs were from poland. sources change even witin companies.

A lot of chainsaw manufacturers don't make their own bearings, many are a commonly used and mass produced size/type. There are a few that have odd ones so make sure it's not, if you go 'aftermarket' make sure it's a well known reputable bearing manufacturer.

A lot of chainsaw manufacturers don't make their own bearings, many are a commonly used and mass produced size/type. There are a few that have odd ones so make sure it's not, if you go 'aftermarket' make sure it's a well known reputable bearing manufacturer.

That was my original point, there isn't really any aftermarket bearings?? Some people just like to waste money and feel better about it. Some Stihl's use proprietary bearings, and they still don't make them.

stihl 064 clutch side

The 064/066 uses a "special" bearing that the seal drives into. On that saw you are stuck with using a Stihl bearing. On most everything else except Stihl PTO side I use Nachi Bearings.

I think one would be safe to say that none of the saw manufacturers make their own bearings...... Who would wast their R&D time and effort in designing and producing an item that is currently sitting on a shelf?

Important items.....clearance of the balls to the race...... ( C3? ) any others?

One design rule.....always use off of the shelf when possible to save $$$$.

That was my original point, there isn't really any aftermarket bearings?? Some people just like to waste money and feel better about it. Some Stihl's use proprietary bearings, and they still don't make them.

They supplied the manufacture with the specifications to produce the bearing to contain the seal.

The 064/066 uses a "special" bearing that the seal drives into. On that saw you are stuck with using a Stihl bearing. On most everything else except Stihl PTO side I use Nachi Bearings.

Wasn't this designed to save horizontal space? I believe this was a conclusion of a previous thread.

I'll have to check out the Nachi brand bearings.

I wouldn't put anything aftermarket on the bottom end unless I had to.

That's exactly it. Stihl's current bearing suppliers are SKF, SNR, and Timken. In the past, they've used Fafnir and and NSK as well. So it's pretty
silly to say "Well, I won't put aftermarket bearings in my saw" when in fact, your saw came with "aftermarket bearings" when it was brand new
from the factory. That's like saying you won't buy a Mahle brand cylinder for your Stihl because it's aftermarket.

Unfortunately though, the clutch side bearing on an 064 is proprietary. They're made by Fafnir/SNR for Stihl, so you have to get one through a dealer.

That's exactly it. Stihl's current bearing suppliers are SKF, SNR, and Timken. In the past, they've used Fafnir and and NSK as well. So it's pretty
silly to say "Well, I won't put aftermarket bearings in my saw" when in fact, your saw came with "aftermarket bearings" when it was brand new
from the factory. That's like saying you won't buy a Mahle brand cylinder for your Stihl because it's aftermarket.

Unfortunately though, the clutch side bearing on an 064 is proprietary. They're made by Fafnir/SNR for Stihl, so you have to get one through a dealer.

What I was saying is I would go with OEM on anything on the bottom end. I wouldnt chance some "other" bearings unless they proved to be faulty. Stihl uses the bearings they have for a reason. Yes Husky, Stihl, ect dont make everything on their saws, but I wouldnt stray from the OEM/ manufactures they use IMO.

Back