Crapford Pears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietreedude1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Some time ago there was a discussion on the dislike of the bradford pear.

I remember someone asking why they were so disliked. Well, here ya go man!

So many of those danged things here, you would think they were native. After much trial and error have developed a pruning program to make them completely wind proof.;)

I've got two of those things in my front yard. I'd say that they are at least as old as the house (11 years) which means they are getting close to that age where they are prone to splitting. :eek:

I noticed a bunch of tiny holes all over the trunk, in a very uniform grid-like pattern. The bradfords at my old apartment had the same holes, and I just don't know what from. I don't think it is insects, because of the uniformity and the fact that the trees are very vibrant. With the number of holes there are, if it were insects, the tree would surely have to be dead. Perhaps woodpeckers? I've been meaning to take a picture. Figured I'd bring it up here, seeing as how Dave brought up the trees and all.

Dan, do Sapsuckers actually suck?

Sean, If you like the tree, you should go up about two thirds the height of the tree and run a small strong rope around the crown to hold it together. Don't wait until it falls apart like the one pictured, they really are nice trees.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Sean, If you like the tree, you should go up about two thirds the height of the tree and run a small strong rope around the crown to hold it together. Don't wait until it falls apart like the one pictured, they really are nice trees.

Thnaks for the advice, Mike. I will probably have something installed when they're pruned. I've seen so many of these trees do the splits during the winter, especially with the ice storms we've had these past two years.

run a small strong rope around the crown to hold it together.
What's that they say about great minds? This is what I do after some LIGHT reduction pruning. Why charge for cable when you can acheieve a better effect with 20' of rope?

treebender, we'd like to hear about your pruning system. I've seen Bradfords that were pruned correctly all their lives and they have great structure. It ain't the species that's so bad, it's the (lack of) maintenance.

Dan, do Sapsuckers actually suck?
I think they actually lick, but isn't that question for the Semantics thread?

these trees are absolute crap. i used to purchase from this tree farm in SC. they quit growing them and were just trying to work out the stock because they were tired of polluting landscapes with them.
i have placed cables in various locations in these trees and still seen them fail. cables did a great job of holding half the tree in the air though

I too have done cable/bracing on B.Pears only to see them split out. Usually at the brace place. Ive also done maintenence pruning on them only to have them fail later. Once talked a lady out of removing one, pruned it, it failed and we then took it out. I felt sorry for her that she paid twice.

As for the birds, I was told they pecked the holes and then came back to eat theinsects that collected to drink/eat the sap. Im no bird expert though.

As for the rest of the tree, its now gone. Sure it would grow back but it would look stupid. We have others in town done that way after our ice storm of '02.

There are bradfords that are cared for their whole lives that pruning, cabling, bolting, the shelter of community, luck and prayers have protected from their inherently terrible structure.

Just today I cleaned up yet another of the 12-15 year old "specimens" bordering one of our customers property.
Windstorms have been breaking these things for a few years now. and we clean them up one at a time. These trees matured without any care and are well, typical in structure.

My recommendation for those mature bradfords not coddled since establishment? 100% canopy reduction, chunk the stem, grind the stump and replace with a real tree.

Originally posted by treebender
My recommendation for those mature bradfords not coddled since establishment? 100% canopy reduction, chunk the stem, grind the stump and replace with a real tree.

Can we give the man an "AMEN!"

Originally posted by TreeCo

I'm sure we've all heard of the better cultivars of pears with better structure and the same flowers.

Dan

and fire blight

some arborists here call the rope laced in the canopy a "circular cable". 1/4" cable with a plastic sleeve is less visible in winter than 20' of worn out true blue, but has obvious physiological drawbacks. Be sure to trim the plastic off for your saddle clips and leave a loop of slack so it can be adjusted later. I have used cobra mini for the same application. (hey, cobra mini IS good for something!!) Sure they are a cash cow. Plant, prune, prune, prune, cable, bark trace the split off lead, bolt, apologize, clean up the rest.
We just have so many of them here. Miles upon miles of roadways lined with them. A subdivision named after them. Bradford Hills, how prestigious. Even a guy who is trying to base his business on the things!

http://gentlearborist.com/bpear.asp

I have tried everything on mature bradfords, even the T word. At this point i just don't have any recommendation i can stand behind other than removal.

Back