creasote build up on inside of stove..is it normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned my chimney today. The cap did have some creasote on it. the chimney was clear other than a thin layer of black shinny creasote, looked like someone painted it was gloss black paint. I cleaned the firebox good and think I found my problem. I have just been shoveling the ashes out, and under the door there is an area a can't get with the shovel and it was caked hard with ashes. I used a scraper to clean it good and it's operating like it used to. I'm going to try to keep the fire to the rear of the stove more and clean that area regularly.

Glad you got that taken care of.
Good to know we could help.
Visual inspections go a long way. Now you also know your setup better.
Now when you get that liner you will have an even more efficient wood burning machine, and safer:).

Good to see you got it straightened out. Few things in my life can be as frustrating as an ornery wood stove, except my wife maybe, but thats another topic for another thread.

I take back all the bad things I said about hickory. It burns hottt!

Its my favorite..... Id rather have hick than oak. i like the smell from outside better.

Was there an air inlet behind your pile of ash or was it just messing up the air from the wash on the way in?

Its my favorite..... Id rather have hick than oak. i like the smell from outside better.

Was there an air inlet behind your pile of ash or was it just messing up the air from the wash on the way in?
Must be where the air enters the stove. Probable 4 inches of ash covering it. I do love the smell. It makes me want to put some kind of a grate in there and grill some brats.

I here that it has been a windy fall.
I bet we would have lost more limbs when we got that snow if it wasn't for all the high wind. Tarps in the wind can be down right dangerous. I've had some wild rides on them, kinda like the genie on the carpet sort of thing except it didn't stay airborne. Gravity hurts!

Latest posts

Back