creasote build up on inside of stove..is it normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno, I don't really give a rat's ass what the inside of my stove looks like as long as it keeps my house warm and isn't dangerous! :p My chimney stays clean.

We use firewood in the stoves, duh. :omg::lol:
Good deal on the chimney staying clean, I agree with that.
All I burn is hard wood so that definitely helps.
Plus 4 or 5 for the liner.
A liner makes a huge difference especially in the shoulder when your trying to run the stove cooler.
This is part of owning a stove, the learning that goes along with it. Once you get it set up properly it will be a joy to run. There's nothing like waving to the propane guy.Screenshot_2015-11-25-14-55-59.png

I think it is just the hickory I have. I put some oak and silver maple in a it burned good. The hickory just doesn't burn for ****.

I think it is just the hickory I have. I put some oak and silver maple in a it burned good. The hickory just doesn't burn for ****.

I have bitternut Hickory here, ive found that for larger splits it burns as you experience unless its seasoned for 3 years, it will burn at 2yrs but not well with the tell tale hissing boiling and popping. The othere thing i found with hick is that if it isnt top covered it re-absorbs moisture very quickly. If its not top covered that could be part of the issue.

Maybe these should be on the list of don't buy stoves.
The only place on my stove or stove pipe that has any creosote is the top of the cap and the front inside the stove (the air supplies for the secondary burn).
I have not cleaned the pipe in 2yrs, just the cap.
I guess you could count the small amount I clean of the glass build up as well. A piece of steel wool, a little effort, and 2min every 2-3 weeks is all thats needed to clean it off.

My chimney and cap stay clean as a whistle, just the inside of the stove, the BK stoves run with no flame alot of the time, the cat glows bright red while it gobbles up the smoke. The very top stays reallllly hot but the back corners tend to be cooler spots and the smoke condenses in the areas to make sote, not a big deal, i scrape it down when i clean the chimney and all is like new.

OP What's the outside temps been in your area? If it's 40-50 you probably aren't getting enough draft for a clean burn. Big flues are hard to keep hot in warmer temps. I won't attempt to burn my wood stove until it drops to 20- 30 degrees during the day for the same reason. The hickory might not work for you now but in January you will love it. I can agree that a stainless liner will solve your problem. I switched from a triple wall stainless chimney to a masonry chimney with a 8x16 flue and the masonry chimney just plain sucks this time of year. It looks nice but that's about it.

It's been 35 -40 during the day. 1 thing that is different is that it has been windy for the last month. It's been still the last few days.

All the things spoken of have an effect on overall burn quality and control of the burn.

The insulated liner eliminates many of the questions in mind. It takes away so many variables that are there presently.
Seal of the insert at the fireplace, draft by the proper size flue(or pipe), temperature of the exhaust(ask a high performance guy about exhaust gas temps, pyrometer).

I always say a stove is an engine. If you have no or low back pressure your engine will not perform as well as it should.

I think if you buy a liner you will be pleasantly surprised at the perfomance increases, the lack of creosote, less smoke out of chimney, and the ease of operation.
Try it you'll like it.
Small print: all advice given comes with a thirty minute guarantee. You must use a licensed professional for all work. I will only refund the cost of the advice. Use at your own risk any and all insurance policies should be up to date before trying.
Good luck:).

It's been 35 -40 during the day. 1 thing that is different is that it has been windy for the last month. It's been still the last few days.
It's easy to say buy this or buy that but the reality is lining the chimney won't be cheap. If the only thing that is happening is a little creosote well that's part of burning wood. If it's not pushing smoke back into your living space just keep a close eye in the situation. Shut it down once a week if need be and check the flue. I check mine with a mirror from the clean out in the chimney. You probably can do the same from inside the insert if you don't have a clean out. How long have you been using the insert BTW?

I know you'd think I work for the government the way I just through money at every problem.

If it's only a little creosote no problem, you are correct. When other things are going on you start eliminating possible causes. A chimney liner eliminates a lot of possible causes.

I would rather recommend people be on the safe side as a chimney fire is no joke and it's safer to say install a liner rather than everything will be fine. More info helps make those determinations better, but nothing like being there.

I've had trouble getting good burns out of 2 year split and stacked hickory. The one thing that does throw me for a loop is the smoke and flame up when you open the door. Sounds like you are getting a poor draft. Is your chimney clean? If may also be your cap, I started burning without a cap a few years ago and it makes like a lot easier.

I have been burning oak and ash today and no problems. Kept a good flame, and dried out most of the creasote. So it is definitely the hickory. from now on I'm gonna season hickory outside uncovered. Maybe if it deteriorates or gets weathered a bit more it will burn better. The hickory does not sizzle or bubble, I think it's dry but just doesn't hold a flame. I'm gonna check and clean the chimney tomorrow.
I'm not sure how long this thing has been here. It's my first winter in this house. I cleaned the chimney before I started burning and didn't get even a cup of soot. I'm not putting a new liner in unless something is structurally wrong. My cap is just a clamp on with large mesh. No creasote or anything on it. It looks like new. From what I can tell from this insert it's just slid into the fireplace opening and has a 6 or 8 inch hole at the top and the smoke just goes up the original fireplace chimney. There is no stove pipe from what I can tell. I thought about taking the cap off but then the rain would end up on the top off the stove. Which is also where some of the debri ends up when cleaning the chimney. . I don't know if I need to slide the stove out to clean the top of it?? I'm pretty sure I could just grab this thing and pull it out easily if I wanted, It's not bolted in or anything.

This is what my splits look like. Been in the garage for a month and then in the house by the stove for a week. And still a pile of ****. I would trade it for boxelder or silver maple.20151130_192843.jpg

I know you'd think I work for the government the way I just through money at every problem.

If it's only a little creosote no problem, you are correct. When other things are going on you start eliminating possible causes. A chimney liner eliminates a lot of possible causes.

I would rather recommend people be on the safe side as a chimney fire is no joke and it's safer to say install a liner rather than everything will be fine. More info helps make those determinations better, but nothing like being there.
A little Google search brings up quite a bit of info on installing these inserts. After hearing how the insert in question is installed and a little reading it sounds like it could be a major fire hazard. Pardon my ignorance it appears a liner is definitely the safest way to go. This looks to be some good info: http://www.yourashismine.com/id27.html Its on the net so it must be true.

A little Google search brings up quite a bit of info on installing these inserts. After hearing how the insert in question is installed and a little reading it sounds like it could be a major fire hazard. Pardon my ignorance it appears a liner is definitely the safest way to go. This looks to be some good info: http://www.yourashismine.com/id27.html Its on the net so it must be true.
Why do you think we all said.
Why do you think many people stopped commenting.
I also applaud your effort to hear.
Some will not hence my "hello anyone" as in will anyone hear.
Please see video.

Yes, you should clean the top inner surface of your insert. Usually, there's a way to drop that part down before sweeping the chimney so you avoid creosote chunks on top of the baffle.

Try using a moisture meter to read your wood moisture on a freshly split surface. By "2 year seasoned", do you mean wood that's been split & stacked for 2 years, or wood from a tree that died 2 years ago & was split last week?

Do I need to take the panel off by the draft adjuster and clean something?
I think that would be a great idea.
When you have the stove pulled out, buy and install a nice stainless liner, not cheap, but a world of difference on an insert.
Check the draft control and make sure it is working and clean it while you have it out.
Also post pictures of the wood.

Is the chimney cap clean and the flue clear. If you don't have good draft and the wood is smoldering that could cause it. My BK gets Crusty as a $10 whore inside.... but that's on the low slow burn with no fire and smoldering wood.

The insulation around the trim doesn't mean the entire cavity has been insulated. Especially at the damper. The lack of a liner may mean the area around the top of the stove where the fireplace damper would normally be may not be insulated at all.

Pull the trim and see what's in there.

Sent from a field

Stainless steel insulated liners make a world of difference

Good deal on the chimney staying clean, I agree with that.
All I burn is hard wood so that definitely helps.
Plus 4 or 5 for the liner.
A liner makes a huge difference especially in the shoulder when your trying to run the stove cooler.
This is part of owning a stove, the learning that goes along with it. Once you get it set up properly it will be a joy to run. There's nothing like waving to the propane guy.View attachment 465282

OP What's the outside temps been in your area? If it's 40-50 you probably aren't getting enough draft for a clean burn. Big flues are hard to keep hot in warmer temps. I won't attempt to burn my wood stove until it drops to 20- 30 degrees during the day for the same reason. The hickory might not work for you now but in January you will love it. I can agree that a stainless liner will solve your problem. I switched from a triple wall stainless chimney to a masonry chimney with a 8x16 flue and the masonry chimney just plain sucks this time of year. It looks nice but that's about it.

All the things spoken of have an effect on overall burn quality and control of the burn.

The insulated liner eliminates many of the questions in mind. It takes away so many variables that are there presently.
Seal of the insert at the fireplace, draft by the proper size flue(or pipe), temperature of the exhaust(ask a high performance guy about exhaust gas temps, pyrometer).

I always say a stove is an engine. If you have no or low back pressure your engine will not perform as well as it should.

I think if you buy a liner you will be pleasantly surprised at the perfomance increases, the lack of creosote, less smoke out of chimney, and the ease of operation.
Try it you'll like it.
Small print: all advice given comes with a thirty minute guarantee. You must use a licensed professional for all work. I will only refund the cost of the advice. Use at your own risk any and all insurance policies should be up to date before trying.
Good luck:).

Hello, anyone.

OK , I read the article, and looked at some other sites about the liner. I should have one. But I would like to get through this winter the way it is. I think the guy who lived here before heated the house with this set up. And it was working great. Unless I plugged something up after a month of use.

The reason I included this one is because a proper sized liner will eliminate fluctuations caused by normal winds.
This is one of the effects I was speaking of.

OK , I read the article, and looked at some other sites about the liner. I should have one. But I would like to get through this winter the way it is. I think the guy who lived here before heated the house with this set up. And it was working great. Unless I plugged something up after a month of use.

It's sounds to me like your hickory is still a bit wet. The chimney might be a bit, or alot, backed up. Usually the cap is the first place to look for signs of that issue. Wouldn't hurt to check out the whole setup and set the hick aside for another 12 months....

It's sounds to me like your hickory is still a bit wet. The chimney might be a bit, or alot, backed up. Usually the cap is the first place to look for signs of that issue. Wouldn't hurt to check out the whole setup and set the hick aside for another 12 months....
I agree with this for the most part. When you have a weak draft it will not burn denser woods as easy. If you picture how gas is syphoned, once it get moving you don't have to do anything. Same with a chimney the exhaust rising through the chimney will draw fresh air into the stove. If the exhaust is not hot enough it will not rise fast enough to blow(through the air intake) on the fire and keep it going.

If the OP's chimney is plugged you get back puffing and will have smoke leaking into the house especially with an insert that may not be sealed properly. That would be a very dangerous situation because the carbon monoxide would be leaking into the house as well.

First thing is to pull the insert and inspect the stove. Draft control, air intake and for cracks. Second inspect the chimney and clean if needed, also inspecting the flue for cracks. Third install a liner:).

Latest posts

Back