Criminals Caught Dumping! Chaps: Which Will Work Best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The other day, my neighbor caught someone dumping on my land.:mad: Please bear with me while I vent. My neighbor chased the pick up down, and got the license plate number. The couple raced away and slid a long distance and nearly slammed into people ahead of them. Those ignorant dirtbags not only dispose of their human waste wherever they want, but they could've killed someone! For YEARS this has been going on and nobody's ever paid restitution! I've met various times with my Sheriff, the head of the Solid Waste Athority, and the DNR. I asked the DNR to help enforce my charges against someone I caught dumping beds, garbage, furnature, toxic organic wastes, and those people who committed those crimes have never paid. I contacted the DNR respectfully and frequently, yet the officer in charge has failed to ever follow up on my information, license plate number, descriptions, etc. My neighbors and I have organized and involved the State and County, so we want to do anything legal to keep the riff-raff from literally dumping on us, to clean up our neighborhood and to keep it that way. For years, my road has had the largest open illegal dumps in my whole county. I live in the most scenic countryside in my county. Now, the criminals will likely be prosecuted and recieve a fine, but that doesn't help me since I am the true injured party, and not the state. BTW, I've caught two individuals from the State Road in their company truck dumping on my road too, and damaging my property through rerouting the water shed, And they, (the State Road individuals whose salary we pay, and violate our property), will be the partial recipiants of the fine, and property taxes. (That's for another time). However, the head of the Solid Waste for the county, and another representative in another department of the State have been of much help in separate occasions and in showing up to our meetings.
I plan to bring a claim for land use fee, (I have had it posted for $5,000 per day for over five years), and whatever my damages, and expenses are. These people have NO respect for other people, or their property. I sure hope that these two will be paying for the expense in time, trouble and equiptment that they are causing me. I'm going to do every legal thing in my power to make this happen. I hope we, (the defense and I), get a good just judge with integrity that will uphold my legal land use fee, and my expenses incured. I've read of people getting away crimes like this all of the time, but trust that there must be good judges that make our legal system work.

I do everything possible to maintain my property for my use, but they had to dump over the hill in the steepest, most overgrown part of my property to access. Its grown over w/ multiflora wild roses, green brier, poison ivy, downed deadfall, etc. I know there are many threads already on chaps, and have searched, but I have a few specific requirements that maybe someone could address and help me out.

Over the weekend I tried to gain access to the dump from a side easier to climb. I used a weed eater and shreaded the heavy cord. I got a higher horsepower brush eater and blade and went to work, machete, and kukurhi too. I already have steal toe 100% leather boots, but maybe there's something better to handle that high rpm blade for kickback. I have to climb the hillside and large clusters of saplings cause lots of kickback. I don't think my boots can take a bump from that blade, and I don't want to end up crippled in a wheel chair the rest of my life over this ordeal. I need the right kind of boots for the equiptment.

I have leather gloves, but the wild roses, greenbriar, and assorted thorns shreded my blue jeans, legs, sleeves, arms, etc. It took me over an hour to get my equiptment out of a tight place and pull all of the rose vines out of my arms, skull, and hide before I could walk home! I don't know if the same pants, and chaps that work for clogging up chainsaws if contact is made would help prevent snags, yet allow free movement climbing over obstacles. Here is a list of some requirements, or preferences.
1. Hold up well to washing. Lots of poison ivy to trudge through.
2. Non-snagging
3. Best protection from chainsaw. Husky 359.
4. Best protection from high rpm blade on "weed eater."
5. Not too hot. I'll be working many more hours, climbing, humid, and hot. But this is a preference, not a requirement, since safety concerns for the above far outweigh that of heat stroke/ exhaustion.
6. Short, 28" w/boots inseam, and 36" waist.
7. I've found the front and sides were what needed primary protection.
8. Proper boots for chainsaw and crosscut high rpm blade, with good soles for woodland hills.

Thanks for your best recommendations, and for taking time to read my complaint.
Any other recommendations for necessary equiptment is appreciated!

Best regards,
Frank

Last edited:
Noah said:
The other day, my neighbor caught someone dumping on my land.:mad: He chased the pick up down w/his atv and got the license plate number. :biggrinbounce2: The couple slid a long ways and nearly slammed into a couple of vehicles ahead of them. Those ignorant dirtbags could've killed someone! For YEARS this has been going on and nobody's ever been caught! My neighbors and I have organized to clean up our neighborhood and keep it that way. For years, my road has had the largest open illegal dumps in my whole county. Now, they will likely be prosecuted and recieve a fine, but that doesn't help me since I am the true injured party, and not the state. I plan to bring a claim for land use fee, and whatever my damages, and expenses are. These people have NO respect for other people, or their property. I sure hope that these two will be paying for the expense in time, trouble and equiptment that they caused me. I'm going to do every legal thing in my power to make this happen. I hope we get a good just judge with integrity that will uphold my legal land use fee and expenses. I've read of people getting away crimes like this all of the time, but know that there must be good ones that make our legal system work.

They had to dump over the hill in the toughest, most overgrown part of my property to access. Its grown over w/ multiflora wild roses, green brier, poison ivy, downed deadfall, etc. I know there are many threads already on chaps, and have searched, but I have a few specific requirements that maybe someone could address and help me out.

Over the weekend I tried to gain access to the dump from a side easier to climb. I used a weed eater and shreaded the heavy cord. Got a higher horsepower brush eater and blade and went to work, machete, and kukurhi too. I already have steal toe 100% leather boots, but maybe there's something better to handle that high rpm blade for kickback. The hill is steep and large clusters of saplings and vines make my feet say, "yikes", I want to be able to keep on walking!

I have leather gloves, but the wild roses, greenbriar, and assorted thorns shreded my blue jeans, legs, sleeves, arms, etc. It took me over an hour to get my equiptment out of a tight place and pull all of the rose vines out of my arms, skull, and hide before I could walk home! I don't know if the same pants, and chaps that work for clogging up chainsaws if contact is made would help prevent snags, yet allow free movement climbing over obstacles. Here is a list of some requirements, or preferences.
1. Hold up well to washing. Lots of poison ivy to trudge through.
2. Non-snagging
3. Best protection from chainsaw. Husky 359.
4. Best protection from high rpm blade on "weed eater."
5. Not too hot. I'll be working many more hours, climbing, humid, and hot. But this is a preference, not a requirement, since safety concerns for the above far outweigh that of heat stroke/ exhaustion.
6. Short, 28" w/boots inseam, and 36" waist.
7. I've found the front and sides were what needed primary protection.
8. Proper boots for chainsaw and crosscut high rpm blade, with good soles for woodland hills.

Thanks for your best recommendations.
Any other recommendations for necessary equiptment is appreciated!

Best regards,
Frank
Not being a smart azz but ity sounds like what you need is none of the above but instead a tractor and bush hog. As for those dumping on your property get em. Can't blame you for being hot about that................

get em good. nothing pisses me off more than people who dump crap on my property. I've found everything from beer bottles to spare tires and parts of beds.

If it is as steep as you're saying a tractor and brush hot won't work

Another possibilty would be some kind of high HP walk behind. I've used old walk-behind sickle bar mowers, Dr. field and brush mowers, and something called a bock-toll (I have no idea how to spell that). I've spent endless hours clearing overgrown trails equiped with a stihl land clearing saw, an 026 and one of the above walkbehinds when possible.

Roses, blackberry, poison ivy, 1"+ sapplings are no stranger to me.

Do you have a harness that you wear when you do your 'weed whacking' that makes all the difference, get one if you don't have it.

It's hard to do much better than leather, steel toed boots on your feet.

In the past I used inexpensive orange chaps that snagged much, much less than the stihl kevlar chaps I have now. They were a tough, single layer of material. Best to just go into the shop and see what the different types are made out of, it's pretty easy to tell what will catch on stuff the least.

To keep cool I always wore the lightest T-shirt I could get away with and I have the scratches and scars to prove it.

with my brush cutter (old Echo SRM-2110) i use an Oregon Cobra blade that i regularly take down 2-4" trees with. i really do not know any chaps that would stop a blade like this. at 1lb 2oz its heavy and takes a while to spin down. i can throttle up, let off the throttle and still have the energy going to take down a 1" tree with a good hefty bump. i would NOT want that to be my leg! and with no sprocket or anything to clog and aid in stopping, the only hope i see from stopping the blade from taking a leg off is extreme care keeping it FAR away from you.

this is the blade i use. the teeth are modeled after a chipper chain and even has rakers like a chainsaw, thats why i picked them after all.
http://www.nwchainsaw.com/cobrablade.jpg

Noah said:

Heat stroke/ exhaustion IS a safety concern, Frank. It can kill you. You have to balance cutting risks with heat problems.

Like was said chaps nor pants that stop a saw will have no effect on a clearing saw. So what I would recommend for getting into briar's and rose bushes is a pair of www.wickoutdoor.com briar proof bibs, pants, or even chaps. I use them (bibs) for hunting my hounds. They are perfect for getting through stuff that would shred you and any ordinary cloths. They are made of nylon.

The dumping thing is a problem everywhere, I suppose. I live on a one–lane dirt road with only two other neighbors along the 2 miles it runs. Rural county. Ten yr. or so ago, the county set a fee for using the landfill...always free before. Since that time, of course, we get tires, TVs, furniture, carpet, appliances, even a car frame once, dumped alongside the road. The sheriff and county really give platitudes. There are only three households up here, so people who would have to pay $4 to dump a pickup load at the landfill will drive up here instead, sometimes.

I have a pair of the chainsaw chaps sold by Gempler. Seem to be fairly similar to the Stihl. Very well made, but they can be pretty hot if you are working in hot weather with no wind. Particularly down in brush as it sounds like you'd be doing. Supposedly they stop a saw chain cold, though I have no interest in testing that feature. I really cannot think of anything that would be cooler... Don't know where you live, can you leave it til fall or winter?

Whatever you do, be careful. An old friend of mine has a tree farm near Lake Tahoe and was training a worker to use some sort of weed–trimmer and handed to the guy and he immediately misjudged and hit my friend's foot, testing it by sweeping back and forth, severing the tendons in the foot. He went thru a bad time, rehab', etc...

Your dumping problem is similar to mine. I have decided to take matters into my own hands....way more fun!:clap: If I catch someone dumping on my land I have a 30/30 pointing at their engine block ready to fire depending on my mood and what they are dumping. Wouldn't want to scare away someone thats dumping aluminum siding would I? But those roofing shingles and insulation people won't be driving away to go home! Nope they will be calling for a wrecker! This might be illegal but so is driving drunk and entering this country with out a pass port! People do it!:censored:

Last edited:
Dumpers.

I like digging a hole about 3' deep and filling it with concrete. Insert said dumper (works best if their unconscious) in and prop them up with sticks.

Feed dumper leftovers (the dogs) and water them daily. Inform them they will get beer and nudie mags on days when they dissuade others from dumping on your land, and will be tapped liberally between the eyes with a baseball bat for asking passers by for help or hollering while you are sleeping etc.

Tap em with the bat occasionally just to let them know you still care and soon word will get around and your local dumpers will have much more respect for your property.:clap:

If things should go sour and the authorities get involved, simply explain that you had dumped leftover concrete in a hole and this trespasser must have waded into it as it was curing and have him arrested for tress-passing on the spot.

Last edited:
I like the dumpers that leave the mail in their trash bags, it simplifies things!!

As for the brush cutter I use Shindawia Tornado blades, steel blade with chainsaw cutter attached to the outside of it, if you want to remove brush, thats the way to go!!!!! And chaps with leather boots are very effective with it!!!
Andy

By "State Road" do you mean local government? If so, take it to your local politician and whoever plans to run against them.

Fence the hill off and get a couple angora goats. They seem to be happiest when there munching multiflora rose complete with thorns. You could make and sell goat fudge and cheese to the dumpers to help recoup your losses.

retoocs555 said:
If it is as steep as you're saying a tractor and brush hot won't work

Another possibilty would be some kind of high HP walk behind. I've used old walk-behind sickle bar mowers, Dr. field and brush mowers, and something called a bock-toll (I have no idea how to spell that). I've spent endless hours clearing overgrown trails equiped with a stihl land clearing saw, an 026 and one of the above walkbehinds when possible.

Bachtold as in Bachtold Brothers, the company that makes the DR mowers for DR and also makes a larger version primarily sold to rental companies under the Bachtold name (I have a former rental unit).
You also might consider a two wheeled Gravely tractor with a 30" deck. They use a 3/8" thick heavy brush blade that will make mulch out of MF-rose and small saplings up to and inch or so. I have a couple of these that I got because the Bachtold mower needed work every time I would use it hard for a weekend at my cabin (155 acres of woods and couple miles of trails to maintain). The Gravelys are much more substantial machines than the Bachtold/DR and about the same size.
Finnbear

After thirty years of living here and worrying about the dumpers and the looky–loos and the trespassers and the downright maybe–thieves, two years ago I finally [kicking and screaming but very, very aggravated] purchased the materials and put a gate opener on my gate, one with an electric locking mechanism, too. I can open it from the car, tractor, or from up in the house [300 feet up the hillside from the gate]. This won't work for you if you also have to run a bunch of expensive and time-consuming fencing...my place is so steep, the only way on is via the road/gate, so I didn't have but a few dozen yards to "fence" to keep the ATVs and dirt bikers from coming across the hillside to get around the gate. [The final straw had been the day an ATVr came half way up the driveway, saw me and stopped, upended his can of beer, tossed the beer can in the drive and screamed off down the drive hollering and laughing like a fool.]

Result: I still have to be aware of what is going on, of course, but I no longer have to get up at 2 a.m. to see what jerk is coming up the driveway toward the toolshed or the tractor shed or up the front door of the house. At least, not in a vehicle. I wasn't happy at having to go to the expense, but it has turned out to be a relief.

Now, several months ago, a guy in a big, red, expensive pickup turned off the road, backed in near the gate [which is 20 feet off the county road] and started to dump brush and tree cuttings off alongside my driveway. Luckily I was home and ran him off. No doubt he used a chainsaw to cut the stuff...there, I am sticking with the forum here. I found a couple old tires beside the gate one day, but at least no one came further onto the property.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back