Crochet Hook Removes Limiter Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbrjackrussel

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I searched many posts on removing limiter caps on Stihl carbs before doing muffler mods.How hard could it be? I have 2 new 066 and 1 new MS660.After a look at the caps on the carb I got a #10 Crochet hook,turned the cap CCW to line up the outside ridge on the cap with the slot in carb,put the crochet into centre of the cap hooking it under the outer edge and pulled the cap off.Cut off the the outside ridge and put cap back on.If you mark the cap position with a felt marker before you turn it CCW,and put the cut off ridge area back in the slot when you put cap back on simply align marker marks and adjustment should be very close to start position.Took 2 minutes to remove 4 caps with no damage.Crochet hooks may be easy to get than a Stihl tool.

Good tip, but sound like it could get one in trouble with the Mrs of the house. :angry2:

not if one buys his own specifically for this purpose. thank you for the great tip, I'd have never thought of it in a million years. good deal though.

I can picture it now big redneck guy goes into kniting store, little old granny behind the counter ask if he is taking up knitting and he explains he is fixing his chainsaw.:laugh: :laugh:

Tecumseh makes a carb tool for their 4 cycle carbs that incorporates a crotchet hook to remove the seat from the carb body. Good tip.

timberwolf said:
I can picture it now big redneck guy goes into kniting store, little old granny behind the counter ask if he is taking up knitting and he explains he is fixing his chainsaw.:laugh: :laugh:
I resemble that remark but it's funny anyway...

I always carry a couple of #10 crochet hooks in my tool box. I spend my break time knitting a new pair of cuttin' chaps.

timberwolf said:
Good tip, but sound like it could get one in trouble with the Mrs of the house. :angry2:

Hah! Try using her toaster oven to cure powder-coat parts.

Mr. Russel, great idea, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Latest posts

Back