Cross-cut saw sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't know where else to post this, so you are the lucky forum. I picked up a two-man cross-cut. I don't know much about it, but I want to have it sharpened. Can someone make a good recommendation? I would prefer it be on the east coast, the southeast would be even better. But I want it done correctly!!

Murph, I'm sorry I can't help with your question. But, I thought I'd through this pic in for fun. This is a hand saw my Dad used for limbing out trees, shortly after WWII. I found the helper handle somewhere and added it on cause it looked good. That blade is about 3' and he'd make cuts that big. He used to sharpen all of his hand saws, and I still have some of the tools like the gizmo for setting the teeth. I think it indexes on the blade and when you squeeze the handles it bends the tooth to the proper "set". He died at age 81 and still had biceps the size of grape fruits. If I run across some one skilled in sharpening I'll get you in touch, Joe.
002-10.jpg

Just saw your post

If your saw is as good as rarefish 383's Atkins one man (#390?), you should get it filed properly. There are a few filers in the southeast who will swage the rakers and hammer-set the teeth old timey style, though even a short saw will take several hours to do it right. Small saws don't sing like the big ones, but will cut quick, especially with someone on the helper handle. A well-filed saw will pull noodles out of even dry hardwood.

I've done it using the proper size half round file. I didn't have to take enough off to have to
reset the teeth or adjust the rakers.

You might try some local hardware stores, many have arrangements with sharpening services. I picked up a set of Disston carpentry saws at a tag sale cheap and had them sent out, they are better than new now.

Back