cs 3000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuteman tree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got an old cs3000 on eBay. Kinda beat up but seems to run good. I bought a new12" bar and chain for it. Any opinions on this model?

They're a bit low on the power side if you plan to cut anything large with it. What is your intended usage?
They are pretty light and easy to handle as a plus.

12' bar should rip with that saw. I had two and loved them both. I ran 14" bars on mine with no problems, I would compare it to a MS192t as far as power.

The Echo CS3000 tophandle saw is an absolute POS . They'd be close to being one of the All Time worst chainsaws ever built. TOTALLY weak and useless, good for nothing but scrap. A 12" bar is long for them, they only cut anything by running a ten inch bar and then you'll realize an even smaller eight inch bar would be better suited, the echo is so pitiful and anemic in power that the wimpy 192T feels like a ripsnort 200T compared

I'll tell you straight uo that they are a fantastic little saw. A muffler mod really brings them up to par. With a twelve inch bar and a good sharp chain you should be able to handle 14-16" wood. Its a good trim saw and is fine for cutting up fallen limbs, etc. Not my choice for firewood. And as for the reference to the 190t and 200t... Totally different ball game. Both price and displacement aren't even close to comparable. You'll love that saw... As long as it runs well.

I bought a new one in jan. 2001. Use it for limbing and when climbing a few trees each year. It's not a powerhouse but reliable and very easy to start. All its needed is a plug and fuel filter change. Along with a couple bars, chains, a drive sprocket. Swap out the air filters and it just keeps running. It came with an Oregon Intenz bar that I did not like. I put in a bar adjusting screw setup and replaced the bar.
Set the carb (H) mixture screw really rich. It does not like a lean "H" speed screw setting. If you adjust to get them to rev high at no load, the saw will go lean in the cut. And no power. Set it for heavy "four stroking" at full throttle (no load), and it should clean-up and pull better in a cut.

A very mediocre saw, but has always started for me. I've kept the chain sharp, and it cuts just fine. Mostly used for windfall and yard cleanup.

Just finished getting one to run well. It was about as dirty as a saw could get when I first got it, after cleaning and a carb kit it ran...but would go fuel starvation after a few minutes...finally just took things apart and discovered it had a fuel tank breather tucked away behind the flywheel..and it was clogged. Now..it runs like a little 30cc something saw..pulls over easy..starts on the second pull..does what you would expect of an "almost looks like a real one..only smaller" saw. I like it for cutting up hay bales..:)

Last edited:
Needs a brew recoil spring, but other than that runs pretty good. Any way I can get more power out of it? Mod the muffler, etc?

Yes. At least take the spark arrestor out. Big difference with just that. If you open up the muffler a bit you'll heterosexual a lot more bang for your buck.

Latest posts

Back