cuirous how you guys started out in the tree profession???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indytreecleanup

Reaction score
I am looking into going at this business as a solo owner operator and eventually grow into a business that can handle all aspects of the profession. I would like to hear about your stories and how you got started. What equipment did you start off with? did you go at it solo? How busy where you your first year, second year and third year. And finally where are you at today?
I have and F150 pickup truck and very basic tools. I would like to upgrade eventually. The most important thing for me right now is getting the proper training and certs first. I definitly want to keep it simple and do mostly pruning of small-medium size trees and tree removals of sizes I can do myself that can be completed in a day. and storm damage clean up. I consider myself a hard worker and not afraid to work night and day seven days a week till I develope clientel and reputation. Any inspiration would be appreciated.

Was 15 and wanted money so I started selling firewood. From there people that I sold to would say hey you have a chainsaw will you cut this for me. So I decided to do a lil research and bought basic rope climbing equipment. Worked under the radar for several years then took a test through our local forestry dept. and finally got licensed.

Been climbing with a saw since I was 12 helping my Old Man who was an Asplund Foreman. Did that until about 2 years ago when I decided it was time to get my own business together, I am 30 now. Good training, a lot of experience and a stone cold work ethic is what's working for me. I am trying to be a smart businessman as being able to perform the work is only part of the job and usually the easiest.

I started with a bunch of saws, climbing and rigging gear, pickup, skidsteer/grapple, skidsteer trailer, utility trailer and a 1 ton dump truck.

started dragging brush for a small company, started climbing when the boss caught his wife and climber in bed, heh
but i knew from day one i wanted to be in the tree
if youre just starting out be prepared to work a lot of hours and have some kind of supplemental income to start
invest your advertising dollar wisely, some areas youll do well pounding doors, others not so much
get at least a 3/4 truck and a decent trailer is good, or a cheap chipper is better, 8-10" man eater, build racks and buy a silage fork or buy a dump truck, chip is a lot easier to dispose of then brush, plus chopping loads down is hard, dangerous and time consuming, but you wouldnt be the first guy to do it

Started in Australia with a decent company, moved to New Zealand to cable log and realised as i was climbing spas to rig the backline i'd rather be using my skills with a bit more moral. also missed the feeling/ satisfaction of a finished tree.

Quit working for my fathers real estate comp- hated it- went to work for my buddies tree business. Told him I could climb he laughed at me- on his way out for lunch he said why don't you put on my gear and start the take down of that poplar.- I didn't realize he was joking. I did what he said, when he came back he was shocked to see half the tree down. That said I had the input of his most experienced climber; I had been rock and ice climber since the age of fourteen. After this a long apprenticeship ISA books shigo books and more books

cuirous how you guys got started in the tree profession

In 1980 March I took a job to drive a truck and was told I would Chip brush ?( I had never even seen a chipper) and rake lawns. years later I was top foreman same co.

the doctor dropped me on my head when i was born :hmm3grin2orange:

i was born into it, after 18 i started on my own truck and trailer style, haven't looked back :D

Been logging BC's forest's since I dropped out of school some 30 years now. Heli logged shake wood, snag felled for forestry, high lead and just about anything to do with trees. I now run a small tree service in the Shuswap and work the oil rigs in the winter. BC has lost most of the industry to machines now but I do get called to do work on heritage trees in the lower mainland at times. Not many guys that like doing big trees in cities anymore. It is a dying art to be good with a saw in the bush for a living. I have good competition here with the Bischoff boys in the hood. I still kick their asses!

Back