Curious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmersfirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Why does running a chain in the ground dull it so bad. I know it does dull it and don't do it if I can help it. I'm just curious why it dulls it. Is it because of the iron in the dirt?

Simply, minerals in the soil are harder than the steel your chain is made from. Primarily SIO4, silica tetrahedra is hard, abrasive stuff and is one of the primary components of most soil.

Iron, in most cases is a very small % of overall soil make up.

Think of the dirt as a grinding stone that is not glued together. There are little bits of rock and hard material that knocks the edge off the cutter. Worse than that is the bevel that it gives the edge. You now must file, or grind, the tooth back to a spot that does not have the bevel. The edge of the cutter should be the highest spot, and must touch the wood first, for maximum cutting speed and efficency. Mike

Abrasives....

Metal is harder than woods so cutting clean wood the chain lasts a long time.

Dirty wood really dulls the RS chain that I am using.

Touch the dirt once and its back to the truck for a touch-up with the grinder.

DeanBrown3D said:
Now explain why paper and cardboard dull chains too:)

They don't - and the Grand Canyon's a fake. We all know that rock is harder than water just like steel is harder than celluloid fibers.

I thought it was a good question...you're obviously a hard worker who knows how to run a saw...I've wondered this myself. Dirt is some pretty hard stuff, also why you need and air filter on your vehicle, idirt and silicon will blast the tops off of pistons, just more slowly.

Back