Curly/Corkscrew Willow that might be in trouble - need advice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaymen

Kaymen

Hi All,

First time poster so I'm sorry if I mess this up. If I've done this right there should be 4 pictures along with my post. I have a large Curly/Corkscrew Willow tree in my backyard that is clearly having some sort of problem. Virtually the entire base around the trunk has been stripped of bark from about 2.5ft down. The rest of the tree doesn't appear to be in any distress, but I'm no expert.

The tree was subjected to a vicious early winter storm 3 years ago and the following summer we had to have a professional tree trimmer come in and take about 30-40% of the branches off as they had snapped under the weight of the heavy snow and would not recover. If you look closely you can see one remaining dead branch that the trimmer missed. I think the tree has rebounded really well from that. I only mention it because it's the only major trauma I know the tree has been through and I'm not sure if it's related to the problem with the trunk.

The tree is regularly used by some squirrels... I can't fathom they are doing the damage, and I've inspected fairly close and I can't see any insects in the area.

Finally, the tree is wet in the pictures only because I was watering the lawn at the time.

Please help! At this point all I want to know is if this is some sort of natural process or something the tree will work out on its own, or if it's in real trouble and needs help from a pro.

it if helps I live in Ontario Canada.

Thanks!

Raintree

Raintree

Penguins are tasty
. AS Supporting Member.
I think what might have happened to your Willow is many years ago the lower trunk area was damaged or diseased killing the cambium under the bark. Adventitious aerial roots grew in behind the now dead still in place bark. Over time this dead bark tissue has decayed loosened & begun to fall off or being used by squirrels for nesting.
Notice the dead limbs above the barkless trunk, I suspect the die back in the canopy will be on going. The structural integrity of the tree will be the major concern long term as rot advances into the stump area.
Note, wetting the wound area will increase rate of decay.

Kaymen

Kaymen

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Indeed, I suspect the squirrels are using the material, but it's so loose that I don't think they're causing any additional damage.

I am very concerned about the rot issue you mentioned. I rarely wet the area, that one day was the only day I've had to water the lawn this summer, but I'll take greater care to keep it as dry as possible. Is there anything else I can do to stop or slow down the rot?

Will calling in a professional help here or do I just have to cross my fingers and hope?