Current picts of wood cutting and weather conditions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Echo looks like a hardwoorking little saw, have not run one myself, that wood looks like it is a tough test for that saw

I do not intend to high-jack the thread, but yes, it is a very nice little saw. Very popular among horticulturists around here as a "do it all" in orchard maintenance. They are cheaper than a Stihl MS 200T and output almost the same amount of hp. Bought mine second hand with silencer mod already. As you could see, it can tackle 30 cm wood with no problem, including hardwood like oak or eucalyptus.

40" hickory

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next one in line, 57" white oak

attachment.php

Jerry, Nice haul on the wood. Its always nice when you can cut close to home. Nice truck, I had a 79 just like it. I ran it until the body rotted off the frame.

David, Looks like you are giving the Pioneers a good work out. Its nice to see the oldies still cutting. :cheers:

Trucks do not usually last long around here, maritime climate and salt air tend to send them to an early grave. I do my own undercoating, graphite,grease and oil, 1/4" thick over entire under body and inside all boxed pillars.
Pioneerguy600

Now there is some firewood in those 2 trees, Hickory and Oak, big trees with plenty of branches mak e great burning for someone.
Pioneerguy600

Yes those are the nuts! I'm close to Mike and am glad we got good hardwoods around here for firewood.

That Oak shows why we need little limbing saws, lots of brush and limbwood in them. I can't imagine at this age wadeing into the tops of one of them with what alot of people on this site call a limbing saw. I'll end up useing several different sized saws on a tree like that.

There also a challange too fall sometimes also with the weight being out so far from the trunk.

"that old truck and I go back a long ways, bought er new in 78, that was when they made real no nonsense work trucks. It was a special built unit, we could order up what we wanted in a truck back then and they would build it to spec. GMC started downhill in 1980 with the trucks, yes they went Yuppified in the last 10 years, unless they bring back a real work truck I won`t own another one."
Pioneerguy600

I spent 24 good years with GMC Truck dealerships, starting around '63. You're absolutely right about the evolution. I can't see from the pics, is it a 3500 (1-ton) or a 2500? The clearance lights would indicate a 1-ton. We only sold a few 3/4T's with clearance lights. In fact, I only remember a few special order 1-ton pickups coming through the doors.

One was a favorite, local hop farmer, SB400, lots of special accessories, very hard-working farm vehicle. I did an in-frame at around 160 thou, due to an overheat. The last time I saw it, years later, it had over 250K on it and still worked every day.

My '82 K2500 6.2D is still working hard at 240K, I won't need another in my lifetime! :cheers:

Trucks do not usually last long around here, maritime climate and salt air tend to send them to an early grave. I do my own undercoating, graphite,grease and oil, 1/4" thick over entire under body and inside all boxed pillars.
Pioneerguy600

I don't have a truck but I also do my own undercoating. Here in Austria the roads are treated with tons of salt to deice the roads. I only use grease spray. i just spray liberly the underside.

Sorry didn't want to derail the thread. Great pics by the way!

Now there is some firewood in those 2 trees, Hickory and Oak, big trees with plenty of branches mak e great burning for someone.
Pioneerguy600

Quite a few loads for sure,a real pain to wade thru all the branchs tho.

Woodcutting buddy/AS User "Canadian" and I went out last Saturday (The 6th Feb) and found an area that was blown down from last years storms. The weather was good (hovering around the freezing mark) with full sun all day and limited snow in the bush or on the road! We were soon 'sweating to the oldies' (Us!) as we struggled to pull out our booty! Large (for here) dead fall and dead standing trees from the 16-20+ inch range! We went from trying to get 8ft lengths, down to 6ft lengths and then 4ft lengths and finally we had to switch to just rounds cause they were just getting too big to pack out!
Being gluttons for punishment, we will be out again, as this weekend is supposed to be above zero and sunny!! :clap:

Cheers!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the best time of year to work the woods around here, the ground is frozen hard so no getting stuck or cutting up the forest floor, no flies and the hardwood has the least amount of sugar and moisture in it. No cookie cutting happening when out getting free firewood, get er done,
Pioneerguy600

I agree with ya there! No mud! No gettin stuck!!!!!

P.S. cookies at work! Firewood at home!!!!!!!!! LOL

Yes those are the nuts! I'm close to Mike and am glad we got good hardwoods around here for firewood.

That Oak shows why we need little limbing saws, lots of brush and limbwood in them. I can't imagine at this age wadeing into the tops of one of them with what alot of people on this site call a limbing saw. I'll end up useing several different sized saws on a tree like that.

There also a challange too fall sometimes also with the weight being out so far from the trunk.

We have nice oak here but I would not cut it for firewood, our beech is a lot like your hickory, they both have nuts. LOL. We do use beech for firewood but you have to be quite careful doing so, it will melt your cast iron stove. I prefer cutting the Rock Maples, they are nice and tall with only a few branches on the top. The ones I was cutting up and putting on the truck were only slash that were in the way of putting in the access road, plucked them off with the excavator and set them aside for me to get on the weekend. They were only 10-12" on the stump but 60-70' tall. This type of tree is easy to judge where it will fall if cutting with a saw, this year I am having too much fun knocking them over with the excavator and then gripping them between the bucket and thumb.
Pioneerguy600

Woodcutting buddy/AS User "Canadian" and I went out last Saturday (The 6th Feb) and found an area that was blown down from last years storms. The weather was good (hovering around the freezing mark) with full sun all day and limited snow in the bush or on the road! We were soon 'sweating to the oldies' (Us!) as we struggled to pull out our booty! Large (for here) dead fall and dead standing trees from the 16-20+ inch range! We went from trying to get 8ft lengths, down to 6ft lengths and then 4ft lengths and finally we had to switch to just rounds cause they were just getting too big to pack out!
Being gluttons for punishment, we will be out again, as this weekend is supposed to be above zero and sunny!! :clap:

Those are some nice sized rounds of spruce, I know what its like to wrestle with them. You said it,gluttons for punishment.
Pioneerguy600

"that old truck and I go back a long ways, bought er new in 78, that was when they made real no nonsense work trucks. It was a special built unit, we could order up what we wanted in a truck back then and they would build it to spec. GMC started downhill in 1980 with the trucks, yes they went Yuppified in the last 10 years, unless they bring back a real work truck I won`t own another one."
Pioneerguy600

I spent 24 good years with GMC Truck dealerships, starting around '63. You're absolutely right about the evolution. I can't see from the pics, is it a 3500 (1-ton) or a 2500? The clearance lights would indicate a 1-ton. We only sold a few 3/4T's with clearance lights. In fact, I only remember a few special order 1-ton pickups coming through the doors.

One was a favorite, local hop farmer, SB400, lots of special accessories, very hard-working farm vehicle. I did an in-frame at around 160 thou, due to an overheat. The last time I saw it, years later, it had over 250K on it and still worked every day.

My '82 K2500 6.2D is still working hard at 240K, I won't need another in my lifetime! :cheers:

The truck was specifically built to thwart the Pollution controls in force at that time, the truck is a 1979 model, it was built with many parts not common to regular trucks of its size. The 350 4 bolt main engine was common but this truck has no pollution control equip on it at all, no catalitic convertors, no pumps or recirculation hoses etc. Under the hood it looks like a 1960`s type engine setup. Heatsink style intake mounted choke and a wide open space all around, not cluttered up with all that pollution gear. It was built on what was termed a double thick frame, 8 leaf rear springs , 8 bolt floating live rear axles, front the same with 390 gearsets. Many parts were borrowed from the 3500 series to allow the truck to be built to meet commercial standards so it could slip under the polution controls at the time of manufacture.
Pioneerguy600

The truck was specifically built to thwart the Pollution controls in force at that time, the truck is a 1979 model, it was built with many parts not common to regular trucks of its size. The 350 4 bolt main engine was common but this truck has no pollution control equip on it at all, no catalitic convertors, no pumps or recirculation hoses etc. Under the hood it looks like a 1960`s type engine setup. Heatsink style intake mounted choke and a wide open space all around, not cluttered up with all that pollution gear. It was built on what was termed a double thick frame, 8 leaf rear springs , 8 bolt floating live rear axles, front the same with 390 gearsets. Many parts were borrowed from the 3500 series to allow the truck to be built to meet commercial standards so it could slip under the polution controls at the time of manufacture.
Pioneerguy600

An old time REAL truck.

I went out and cleaned up some limbs from the recent clearing of a right of way. Got a chance to put a few minutes on the "new" Shindaiwa 416.

Cleaned up right of way
attachment.php

Partial load of limbs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I almost forgot, it was clear and 55 degrees.

I will be looking for those picts, that old truck and I go back a long ways, bought er new in 78, that was when they made real no nonsense work trucks. It was a special built unit, we could order up what we wanted in a truck back then and they would build it to spec. GMC started downhill in 1980 with the trucks, yes they went Yuppified in the last 10 years, unless they bring back a real work truck I won`t own another one.
Pioneerguy600

Sorry,

Got distracted with a bunch of Nonsense domestic stuff(Plowing snow) today and ended up just skidding out some stuff I had dropped already.

Got a couple sized up for dropping tomorrow though, and should have time if we only get the 10" they are calling for.

I hear ya on the trucks.
I swear I'm gonna find an old 79' F-250 and rebuild it for the next truck.
The new Crap wont pull a fat broad out of a doughnut shop and are made of glass.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I went out and cleaned up some limbs from the recent clearing of a right of way. Got a chance to put a few minutes on the "new" Shindaiwa 416.

Cleaned up right of way
attachment.php

Partial load of limbs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I almost forgot, it was clear and 55 degrees.

That is solid looking wood,that Shinny cut thyat stuff ok? The 488 was real popular here for many years, other than the 488 I have not seen many shinnies. I could work in 55 deg temps but like it a little cooler for woods work.
Pioneerguy600

Sorry,

Got distracted with a bunch of Nonsense domestic stuff(Plowing snow) today and ended up just skidding out some stuff I had dropped already.

Got a couple sized up for dropping tomorrow though, and should have time if we only get the 10" they are calling for.

I hear ya on the trucks.
I swear I'm gonna find an old 79' F-250 and rebuild it for the next truck.
The new Crap wont pull a fat broad out of a doughnut shop and are made of glass.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep, old saws and old trucks, they just don`t make them like they used to. Only got 4-6" of snow here right now so the going is good, cut 2 more loads up today. Light snow and around 0 here today, still cutting up trees pulled out by the excavator when building a new access road. The roadway was cut out by a contract crew using feller-bunchers but they left an odd tree that gets in the way of the excavators, they push tjem over and then sling them to the roadside where I cut them up and truck them home.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneerguy600

I had a 1978 model and this fall helped a friend with his 78...
niether had a cat or any crap..had to fix his where they all need fixing..the frame drivers side behind front spring mount cracks and breaks..i have seen this on MANY of these gmc/chevy trucks of any size..may want to take a close look... if not for that i would still have mine.

I had a 1978 model and this fall helped a friend with his 78...
niether had a cat or any crap..had to fix his where they all need fixing..the frame drivers side behind front spring mount cracks and breaks..i have seen this on MANY of these gmc/chevy trucks of any size..may want to take a close look... if not for that i would still have mine.

My frame still has black factory paint on it when the grease is scraped off to see it, its sprayed twice annually with engine oil that just keeps the original undercoating soft. It gets a monthly inspection by yours truly and all the grease fittings get a couple shots of synthetic chassis grease. The front drive axles are original along with all the brake rotors,drums and lines. Shoes and pads replaced as necessary. I had the front driveshaft built completey from new components, the splined slip joint was getting a little loose.
Pioneerguy600

Back