Custom Gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for those of you using copper gaskets. a great source is an tv repair shop. they use it for shielding electronics.

it comes in sheets about the size of a standard sheet of paper. very cheap.

thicknesses vary from thinner than a piece of paper to about a credit card thickness. if you know what thickness you will need, for squish or whatever), just bring a dial caliper with you to the shop, and match it up to a slightly thicker piece of copper sheet (to account for crushability during tightening).

a slight coating of spray copper on both sides seals the deal, like someone above has mentioned. note: a little bit of spray copper goes a long way and drips all over the place. the gasket can be reused many times, and is easily removable because the spray copper is not sticky and cleans easily.

-omb

Yes...and gaskets can be made from pretty much anything. I stick to aluminum cans or gasket material, but I have seen plenty of references to using manilla folders, drink cartons, etc...

I make a gasket or two every now and again. I use a hole punch or a belt punch along with an exacto type knife. If I don't have an old gasket to use as a template, I brush layout fluid on whatever I'm making a gasket for and then imprint it onto the gasket paper. After that, all you need is patience.
DITTO on your method. If the area is not readily accesible for imprinting, I make an imprint on a piece of aluminum duct tape by rubbing a finger over all edges. I remove the backing and stick it to the gasket material for the punching and cutting. If needed I release the tape from the gasket with brake cleaner.

Latest posts

Back