Customers says it's ok if this gets damaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no prob man. Im usually harder on myself than anyone. The wood was cut to firewood size length. His future son in law wanted it. Brush was chipped, stump ground.

Yeah 2800 would be fair for sure but unfortunately I did a very similar
job here and was middle bidder for 2000. they told me that was all they
would pay and if I could do it for that they would use me since I had a
bucket truck. I saw the low bid and flipped out I mean I can't understand
how they could do this 60" water oak for 1250.00.

Should of took pics. One of the more challenging ones of done in quite a few years.QUOTE]

Funny how we all say that after a difficult or unique job.

I have carried a digital camera in my truck for quite some time now, but somehow forget to bring it out on the tricky ones. Guess the mind is somewhere else.

Sounds like you did a great job John.

Should of took pics. One of the more challenging ones of done in quite a few years.QUOTE]

Guess the mind is somewhere else.
Mind is on safety as where it should be. A camera in the hands of my ground crew would be a distraction. We all need to be focused on the work at hand. Its great when you can get the homeowner to film or snap pics.

Have any of you paid one of your guys to stand around and snap pics all day? They do earn them easy paid days, but Id rather take them fishin.

Would it make better sense to put the tires under the plywood?
I have yet to try the tires. I have used the logs to make things to cushion the landings and have just place ply on the ground of drive to bomb.

john, There was quite a few stump shavings from that big of a stump, huh? how long did it take to get all the wood out of that 42" opening?

Mind is on safety as where it should be. A camera in the hands of my ground crew would be a distraction. We all need to be focused on the work at hand. Its great when you can get the homeowner to film or snap pics.QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

Still is nice to have good pics. Something to show the grand kids (hopefully) one day.

Ya'll need to bring the wife or girlfriend to take pics. If not, grab the homeowners wife or ladyfriend and hand them a camera. That way you can yell down and throw up the occasional flex or azzshot. Trust me, it works.:)

DSCN2687.jpg

Last edited:
Ha!! love it.....aerial moon shots! LOL

Ropes I feel for you man, I think thats whats sad down your way with the illegals cuttin ya its gotta be hard....im sure sooner or later we all will feel it!!

John, hows the spider holding up?

LXT..........

Would it make better sense to put the tires under the plywood?
I have yet to try the tires. I have used the logs to make things to cushion the landings and have just place ply on the ground of drive to bomb.

That's what I was thinking except it might be too much bounce and you could end up with some rogue wood. Not sure, never tried either.

dan,
not sure if plywood on top would serve better. If a situation presents itself like this one again. I think the better option like ropensaddle said would be to put down sand or chips if you can get it there without too much labor time.
lxt,
spider is holding up ok.

dan,
not sure if plywood on top would serve better. If a situation presents itself like this one again. I think the better option like ropensaddle said would be to put down sand or chips if you can get it there without too much labor time.
lxt,
spider is holding up ok.

How bout an old beater truck full of chips or whatever - it wouldnt even have to be a beater if you put a couple pump jacks on boards or plywood resting under the framerails to save the springs. At least you could dump it after. Just a thought.

I cut holes on opposite sides of each of the tires, fed a rope through.
This allowed the dragging of all three at once, or ganged them so they could all be rolled together, side by side.

Once at the drop site, one end of the rope got clipped to the other to keep them grouped.

For awhile I used carpet over top, then went to this thick rubber mat as shown in the picture. Great bullseye for dropping spars, and a rather huge target for blocking down bomb chunks.

attachment.php

This is what I've gone to in the past few years. You bomb with much better accuracy so this tire setup, though smaller in footprint, is much better at preventing impact craters in the yard.

Two 13" tires are stuffed inside of the 17" truck tire. Bombing onto this thing is quite entertaining. The clients are amazed at how such big wood can be dropped from height and the lawn remains relatively unscathed. This one has proven itself more effective than anything else. If I'm over a driveway, I'll pile a bunch of brush on top of it and then bomb away. :greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sounds like a tough job done very well.

I use a different method for absorbing energy which works extremely well and takes up almost no room on the truck. I carry a dozen wool bags and have the groundies half fill them with chips from the truck. The only time I have ever managed to burst a bag was when we were free falling 120kg blocks from a Tuart Gum about 20 meters up. We also dropped a River Red Gum stick about 6.5 metres weighing 2300kg onto clay brick paving. We laid the bags out 2 wide and 5 long then laid 200 mm dia branches on top of the bags. Dropped the stick using a skid steer loader for rope tension and did not break a single brick. The math master of the school said the stick would have spent about 6500kg of energy on impact.

I love how inventive you can get when the drop zone is small and the blocks are monsters....

Back