cutter angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
quick question there are different angles on a rm or rs chain.stihl recommends 30 deg on the top angle and 60 deg on the bevel as I would call it.Now if you are hand filing with a jig there is no way to put that bevel on the cutter is this automatically put on the tooth due to the shape of the cutter.I understand that if you are using a flat wheel like on a grinder there would be no way you could put a radius on the inside of the tooth unless the cutter link itself was shaped.

Andrew, this really doesn't answer your question, but it's what I believe. Others might dissagree addamently, but here goes, (this is based on 35 years in the industry and being 4th generation in the bus). The best angle is 30, but as the teeth start to get cut way back I start to cut them straighter across to save the chain. They will still cut to where you don't have to lean on them. Sometimes I put those almost used up chains on an old saw just for flushing stumps. If you follow the mark on the top of the chisel with straight even file strokes the saw will cut well. Don't vary your stroke upwards and downwards as you file. If you look at the sharp edge of a sharp chain it will look shiny. Look at a new chain and you'll see what I mean. If it looks dull it still has pits and chips in it and needs more filing. Every couple strokes tap your file across the bar to knock filings out of it. The cleaner the file is the better it will cut.

The most important thing is to keep it sharp in the first place. If your cutting close to the ground don't rock your saw back and forth, if you do, you'll stick the tip in the ground. If it's sharp you don't need to rock on it, if you need to rock on it, it's not sharp. If you're on your knees and can't see the tip on the other side, only cut 3/4 of the way through. Get a pevy or kant hook and roll it over. If I can't roll it and don't have help, I'll cut 3/4 of the way through for 3 or 4 blocks with my good saw and then grab one of the old stump saws and let it be the one to cut through and hit the dirt. Good luck, Joe.

The real answer is...there isn't a "right" answer. Our shop services a bunch of tree services and loggers. Wanna listen to an interesting argument? Listen to them all argue about what angle to file or grind chains. Okay...it was interesting the first couple of times, now it just proves that there really isn't a good answer. Get a few chains and grind/file them to different angles and go try them out. See what works best for you. 30 is pretty standard. 35 has some popularity.

What to use for angle also depends on what you are cutting. For dead oak, or other hardwoods I like to run more straight across at 20 degrees. It gives less vibration and the chain rivets are not as apt to pull apart.

I know there are a lot of tried and true methods out there. But I don't use a guide to file my chains. I sharpened regularly and try to maintain the original profile of the chain when it was new. I know there are probably better methods out there but if you can't file with out a guide or a mech. grinder sometimes you can get in a bind. I use a round file for my cutters and a flat bastard file for the drags. I have not had any problems with rivet failure or bar damage. And for the most part when I retire a chain its down to a very small triangle shape cutter. Using the same consistent stokes and angles will provide you with good cutting long wearing chains. Guess what I am saying is if you learn how to file free hand you are not as dependent on angles. When you learn what cuts best for you thats what you look for in filing. When I was a kid not too long ago an old man that cut logs for my dad taught me how to file. He'd say find what works for you and get good at it. I've seen everything from 20 degrees to 35 degrees they all cut. The biggest mistake I see people make filing is different degrees on the same loop of chain. It just doesn't work well. Good luck and keep trying.

I use 35 and 25 every other cutter, and sometimes +/- 10 degree hook every third cutter.

No problems yet :spam:
You would think that that would make for a chain that would vibrate more.How does it cut and is it smooth?I never heard of sharpening this way.Is your way practriced by many?I just want the fastest chain I can do.

I use 35 and 25 every other cutter, and sometimes +/- 10 degree hook every third cutter.

No problems yet :spam:

You would think that that would make for a chain that would vibrate more.How does it cut and is it smooth?I never heard of sharpening this way.Is your way practriced by many?I just want the fastest chain I can do.

LOL....it was a joke poking fun of my hand filing ability's. :laugh: I have seen some hand filed chains that bad though. I got one on a saw I traded for that I swear had 70 degrees on some, and 0 on others. Worst looking chain I have ever seen.

LOL....it was a joke poking fun of my hand filing ability's. :laugh: I have seen some hand filed chains that bad though. I got one on a saw I traded for that I swear had 70 degrees on some, and 0 on others. Worst looking chain I have ever seen.
I was joking too,everyone knows its +20 degrees hook every 4th cutter:monkey:

I was joking too,everyone knows its +20 degrees hook every 4th cutter:monkey:

:cheers:

What a bozo. :laugh:

Bozo.jpg

There is supposed to be an angle to your cutters? :monkey:

Seriously, I need to spend more time in this forum and hope others do too as there is no point having the "best" saw if you can't file your chain.

But, there is only so much you can describe in words. The rest is experience. I have found it is so easy to think you are doing it right but if someone who knows what they are doing doing watches you, they may see you have a little "flip" at the end (etc.) of your stroke that takes off the edge you just put on that you will not see without help.

Latest posts

Back