cutter wheel alignment on a carlton 5014 stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim maybe what your seeing is a mixture of air and oil [ cavitation]]. You did break a line, if you have water in the oil it will look like a coffee milk shake.

Dave mentioned that the hydro fluid I had stored in my shed may have had condensation in it because it was exposed to weather. Well I went to a truck repair place and was looking for MIB hydraulic additive to see if it would take care of it. They didn't have anything like that so being as impatient as I am, I just got another 5 gals of hydraulic fluid. When I got home, I decided to open the container that I got the hydraulic fluid out of the other day to replace the fluid I lost and Behold, coffee milk shake. It never dawned on me to check it before pouring it in the tank the other day. It had been sitting in my shed for a few years, thought it was sealed tight. But those things happen when your impatient and you get old. Thanks for replying. By the way, I changed the fluild with the new stuff and all is right with the world for today.

Dave mentioned that the hydro fluid I had stored in my shed may have had condensation in it because it was exposed to weather. Well I went to a truck repair place and was looking for MIB hydraulic additive to see if it would take care of it. They didn't have anything like that so being as impatient as I am, I just got another 5 gals of hydraulic fluid. When I got home, I decided to open the container that I got the hydraulic fluid out of the other day to replace the fluid I lost and Behold, coffee milk shake. It never dawned on me to check it before pouring it in the tank the other day. It had been sitting in my shed for a few years, thought it was sealed tight. But those things happen when your impatient and you get old. Thanks for replying. By the way, I changed the fluild with the new stuff and all is right with the world for today.

Stump Grinding, you got to love it, constant maintenance ,some times your the bug some times your the windshield. Old? I'm 70 and still going at it, luckily enough to shut it down around Thanksgiving and go to the sunshine state till April. Have a great 4th and be safe!

Hi Jim,

I hope you've been doing well.

I think your issue is with the hub that holds the shaft in the cutter wheel. I would loosen the locking collars on the bearings and the bearing housing bolts as well. You want to loosen the hub and move the shaft toward the side that has more room. It's hard for me to talk your thru this without seeing it.

Hope this helps!

Dave
700-420-6400
Hey Dave, finally getting the time to try and adjust where the cutting wheel sits on the shaft, too close on one side, maybe 1/16' away from the guard. I do think the problem is the hub. One of the 3 bolts that tighten it in has broken off. But it is still stable and holding the wheel right where it is. The problem is, I can't get the the other 2 bolts to back out far enough to remove them to pull the hub out enough to get a grab on the broken one to back it out and replace. I didn't want to remove the bearings and drop the wheel because you have have to remove the top bearings, the belts, the bottom bearings and then remove the bottom bearings from the shaft to get the hub off. But the problem with that is that the bearings get so tight, almost fused to the shaft that I had to cut them off the last time I tried to remove them and ended up replacing the shaft and the bearings. I think it is easy enough to drop the wheel but haven't figured out how to get the bearing backed off enough to get at the hub, replace the broken bolt, and slide the wheel over a 1/4 inch without damaging the bearing. Any thoughts?

Hi Jim,

You shouldn't have to remove the jack shaft bearings to drop the wheel. You can remove the bottom poly chain sprocket and belt and then drop the wheel. If the jack shaft bearings are what you're calling the top bearings. You would have to take off the bearing on the left side. It sounds like the bushing has broken bolts. The hub is what holds the bushing. You would lose the left side cutter wheel bearing. If I we're you, I would leave it alone. The cutter wheel will not move unless, you have a bearing collapse. Just keep an eye on the bearings. You can fix this issue the next time you need bearings. Just remember to adjust everything before tightening.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Stump Grinding, you got to love it, constant maintenance ,some times your the bug some times your the windshield. Old? I'm 70 and still going at it, luckily enough to shut it down around Thanksgiving and go to the sunshine state till April. Have a great 4th and be safe!
Hey Joe, couldn't get a clear picture of the grinder tooth sharpener. But you can look it up on you tube. It's the AL-65-V. There is one on there somewhere for the razor wheel teeth or maybe the sandvik wheel. The only difference in the videos of the others is the grinding wheel is specific for the carlton teeth. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try and retrace my original search.

Back