Cutting a havy leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If memory serves me, didn't you once post a comment regarding never personally dropping big trees yourself?
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

If I am wrong, lets see some pics to critique your work.:cheers:

You still don't get it do you. I don't think you blaming his tight shorts will hold up in court. A little acountability goes a long way.

Seems like we are still waiting on pics of your work, i.e. cutting any tree down, let alone problem prone ones.

Well then you have a prima facie case of having nothing useful to contribute in a thread pertaining to cutting down trees.:dumb2:
Just because I never claimed doesn't mean I've never done it. My post was in response to your safety habits or lack of.

Pretty much that, its got the makings of a good thread right now, whether c5 played it up the first time or played it down the second....to move the focus on. Its certainty been beat to death with a big stick. I would have a hard time believing
He and others didn't take something away from that. He's showed lots of maturity in areas before the fall and handled.. humbling constructive criticism very well and is still researching knowledge.
Think its time to move forward.
~Peace to all

Come out here and cut red alder you'll learn fast about leaners and barber chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We don't have red alder around here so I can't compare. I'm sure there are worse trees than box elder, but not around here. Since the OP had taken down a box elder I posted my observation. I've seen box elder grow horizontal 30 feet(maybe more) only a couple feet off the ground to get to sunlight. Sometimes they bow under their own weight, rest on the ground, and keep growing. They are weeds and leaners barber chair readily.

Regarding barberchairs, I believe it was @Gypo Logger who made the comment in another thread that his saw cuts so fast that it doesn't give the tree a chance to barberchair. :)

True goods...and thats what make hot saws so much safer. You stall it..she'll chair in casees.
Yet we aren't supposed to use them here professionally but they don't f* wid ya on the coast.

We don't have red alder around here so I can't compare. I'm sure there are worse trees than box elder, but not around here. Since the OP had taken down a box elder I posted my observation. I've seen box elder grow horizontal 30 feet(maybe more) only a couple feet off the ground to get to sunlight. Sometimes they bow under their own weight, rest on the ground, and keep growing. They are weeds and leaners barber chair readily.

I'll see if I can go out and get you some pictures but if it's not steep ground they will grow up the hill. They are super brittle.

Here is a video I filmed near here. From what I understand (I am not a faller:bowdown:) one needs to make a bit of a deeper face cut with alder because it wants to chair. The wind was blowing pretty good on this day. This red alder was going out as saw logs because it was fairly straight and the right size. This is fairly flat ground but I was told that alder should be hand felled because machinery bruises the wood.

Here is a video I filmed near here. From what I understand (I am not a faller:bowdown:) one needs to make a bit of a deeper face cut with alder because it wants to chair. The wind was blowing pretty good on this day. This red alder was going out as saw logs because it was fairly straight and the right size. This is fairly flat ground but I was told that alder should be hand felled because machinery bruises the wood.

You can fall alder with a buncher or harvestor but you normally won't have the control and you're more likely to tear more out of the butts.
f1ee69cb477e40913fa24e768a700ebd.jpg

This was fairly flat ground larger heavy stuff all of it was cut into 16's and 20's.
e541762817a27d2c7d444ba1caa908f9.jpg

Same tree.
Normally I'll be watching the top to see it just start to set in the direction of the lay is how I know I've gone deep enough with alder.

I use this cut with leaning alders ,have not chaired one yet ,I like it better than a back bore cut .
hpqscan0001-1  Coos Bay cut crop.jpg

I do a lot of bore and back strapping, never tried that myself looks like it'd work good though.

I have used it only a couple of times on small, snow loaded alders that were blocking a road. I also had a tree to hide behind while cutting. It worked well. I like to hide behind substantial things when cutting snowbent or blowdown alders. Long bars are a good thing.

I do a lot of bore and back strapping, never tried that myself looks like it'd work good though.

Works good as long as the tree is not hollow/rotten inside

Edit ,A deep face is not needed on the coos cut

Normally you can tell as soon as you open up the face if they're going to be, gut it then bore it and leave a large strap to hit from the back

Works good as long as the tree is not hollow/rotten inside

Edit ,A deep face is not needed on the coos cut

One issue I could think of on steep ground is not being able to check the far side because of ground lays.

479d3f7f87f5895c75251f80edd2c893.jpg

Another option sometimes is to Dutch then over to another lay, this one was 90 degrees to the far side of the stump that got swung.

Do you have to cut off the bottom 3 feet of the log ,when the guts pull like that ? Works good to swing but seems like lose some wood .

Latest posts

Back