Cutting back a Privet (sp?) hedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGriz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for the advice.

I have a row of privet hedge running along part of my yard that is approximately 60' long. They were way out of control, too tall and 'leggy'. I cut them back to about 12" from the ground last weekend.

My question is, did I cut them far enough down? What is left is quite massive and it looks to me like they could stand to go down by 1/2 again. My goal is to have them come back and keep them under control.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If the 'privet hedge' in southern WI is anything like the privet in north Louisiana, you did not hurt it any. My grandparents had a couple of hedges in their yard, and now the noxious plant is all over the woods. It's taken over the understory of about 80 acres on my place. It is very hardy, about the only way to kill it is to dig it up or apply generous amounts of brush killer. I've mowed through thickets with my Bush Hog, only to have the plants come back within weeks.

Here is a pine plantation that I had thinned this spring. You can see the privet on the left side of the photo along with more on the right side. The pines have had the land canopied over for about 15 years, but the privet has managed to grow in the understory up to a quarter mile from where my grandparents house once stood.

attachment.php

Here is a picture of a clearcut area I just had done as well. The problem was that the understory was so thick no young pines could grow. Most of the problem was privet, along with French Mulberry, honeysuckle, wisteria vine, and greenbriar. You can see a lot of privet remains after the logging operation.. When the site preparation crew comes in, it will be dealt with using a combination of chemicals and fire. But I'd bet some of it still survives. The plant is almost indestructable.

attachment.php

If I sound like I don't like privet hedge, it's because I don't like privet hedge. :) But, if you pruned the ones in your yard down to 12" you've probably stressed them enough for now. Let them grow back for a couple of years with only a few 'shaping' trims and I would expect they will do fine. BTW, I have some Japanese Privet in my yard here in Texas. It's a nice looking plant and not nearly so agressive as the common privet in my pictures. You might want to see if they grow well in your climate.

If your asking because they look dead it is probably just the old wood. They will resprout from the base. Then that old wood will just sit inside the hedge after it grows back. I would try to get rid of that old wood if this is the case. Because later it will just look like crap and you will regret not cleaning it up when it was open to be removed with a chainsaw or a bow saw if you feel real energenic.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about them coming back; Log Splitter is right, you can't kill them. Since the branches were so thick at the base (1.5" - 2") I was thinking I should have taken them down almost to the ground instead of leaving them at 12".

I did pull, cut and dig out the dead and rotted wood from the stumps.

Maybe I'll just let them be for a while and see what happens. I'm just afraid that I'll wind up with those 'bulky' stumps and a lot of small new growth on top; making it look like they're sitting on a pedestal.

Back