Cutting down a leaning Sycamore Tree - Any suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got to cut down a large Sycamore tree tomorrow morning and it is about 3 feet thick in diameter at the bottom and definitely leaning out from the bottom all the way up to the 35 foot top. I guess the best way to describe the lean is... if you yourself leaned sideways as far as you can without falling down. Any suggestions about putting a logging chain around the tree about 3 to 4 feet up on the trunk to avoid splitting out. Any suggestions on making the notch on the leaning side. Don't plan on making a deep notch on the leaning side for fear the pressure of leaning weight of the tree may be a big factor. On the opposite side of the notch, I planned on making a downward angle cut starting above the leaning side notch to avoid kickout. How far to start the cut opposite the notch on the leaning side? I have a feeling once that tree starts cracking, it won't take her long before it's on the ground..Yes, I have already planned my escape route several times.

This topic has been discussed a time or two on here before... but if you use the bore-in backcut method, it would probably help. Search for barberchair, and you should find more info...

Make friends with a logger.

I've pretty much made up my mind that when the variables get above 1 on falling a tree I'm in over my head. Down at the mill where I work there is an ex timber faller. We all treat him real nice and when something unusual needs to come down he is usually chompin' at the bit to get to it. Gives him a little fun and keeps me alive. I've only had one tree barber chair on me and that was enough of that for a life time.

You are falling this tree the way it leans here goes. Fiill up your sharp saw and then 1) put a small undercut, cleaned out in the direction of the lean, to big and you'll get pinched. 2) put a chain (good chain, like grade 70 or alloy)up high with the grab hook above the undercut.3) backcut: a couple of inches higher than the undercut, flat, no slant. 4) cut two 45s from the holding wood to the centre of the tree, that is two separate cuts, then the final backcut, do not stop. When the tree goes, move back quickly at least ten ft.

Learn and understand the bore cut. But before that, use common sense. If you can't do it, don't do it. Something I always keep in mind is that a chainsaw won't hurt you unless you let it (laziness, neglect, poor maint, poor practices, etc.). Chainsaw mishaps are almost always avoidable, or managable. It's the tree that is the variable that will kill you. There will always be that little bit of unpredictability, even in a "sure thing" tree. Leaners can be deceiving.

Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got it down this morning without any problems. Mikey, I made a mistype it was more like 60+ feet tall. Fishhuntcutwood is correct that good old "common sense" goes a long way. Clearance had great suggestions on the cut also. Yes, if I thought this was more than I could handle I definitely would hire it done. My life is worth more than old money! I value all the suggestions from everyone on this web site and figure I can always learn something of value I did not know. I have always thought that when one thinks they know it all ....that is when they become dangerous to themselves and others. Yes, I got a lot to learn and at 53 I am always eager to learn! That is why I created this thread because of all the wisdom this site has to offer. Have a great day all!

Latest posts

Back