cutting game with a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering what type of oil to use for bar oil when cutting game. And also if it is common to keep a seperate chainsaw just for game?

I have heard of folks using straight canola oil for cutting game. Seems a bit messy to me, but I guess it would get the job done.

Gives me the whillies thinking about sawing through all that flesh and bone and such....

I've read that the fellows far up north (Alaska, North of Canada) cut moose in winter when they freeze after the hunt with the chain saw but I have no idea if they use bar oil because it is more than just freezing cold.

For regular climates I believe it is a little exaturated.

Its messy

I used a chainsaw once to cut the antlers off (cap it). Obviously the deer was not frozen but fresh. The mess it made in the garage and on/in the saw was disgusting. Would not recommend it. If you do, and for the purpose of getting meat, use something vegtable based not petroleum. That could be a task just to get the tank and pump clean of all petroleum to begin with. I have not tasted bar oil but imagine I would not want it on my food. (Some on this sight may use it as a ketchup:))

OK, to make a long story short, I tried it once. It will remain exactly once. The mess, gore and cleanup out weigh all, if any, advantages of doing so to begin with. Frozen may be another story. However, at the time, this wasn't an option and it seemed and absolutely stellar idea born out of necessity. I can't over state enough: Never Again! Perhaps a partner saw and a suitable blade but, never a chainsaw again, ever. YUCK! I've butchered a lot of animals in my life. I also used to work in an operating room in a very busy hospital and have witnessed almost every type of surgery performed on man kind. None of this bothered me in the least. All I can say is the chainsaw/flesh thing is just wrong! Perhaps now it's a little humorous in retrospect but, at the time it was a different story.

I was involved in supplying and installing a fair bit of equipment in a large new knackery near here a few years back and they use electric chainsaws there to cut up the beasts.

They are just cheapies and they turn them over frequently.
The funny thing is that I never ever thought to ask what they use for chain lube :monkey:
Next time i'm there I'll ask, but canola would be a natural for HC use to me.

I heard if you use olive oil, a little lemon juice, dash of pepper, salt and praprika as lube you can just scrape out the area around the clutch add some chopped parsley and put it between some bread and have an instant "beast tartare" sandwich!

Reminds me of when I used to go bush with my dad and we'd put cans of baked beans on the exhaust manifold of the bulldozer so we could have something warm for lunch. Occasionally one would explode and make a right bang and a smell!

We used to use an electric chainsaw with veggie oil to split beef. Dedicated saw, never saw wood or petroleum bar oil. Bit messy but waaaay faster then handsawing.

There was a video on youtube a while back of a guy killing a pig with a chainsaw. He basically held the pig down and cut his head off. It was the nastiest most gruesome thing that I have ever seen.

OK, to make a long story short, I tried it once. It will remain exactly once. The mess, gore and cleanup out weigh all, if any, advantages of doing so to begin with. Frozen may be another story. However, at the time, this wasn't an option and it seemed and absolutely stellar idea born out of necessity. I can't over state enough: Never Again! Perhaps a partner saw and a suitable blade but, never a chainsaw again, ever. YUCK! I've butchered a lot of animals in my life. I also used to work in an operating room in a very busy hospital and have witnessed almost every type of surgery performed on man kind. None of this bothered me in the least. All I can say is the chainsaw/flesh thing is just wrong! Perhaps now it's a little humorous in retrospect but, at the time it was a different story.

I bet you wear your chaps now though!!!!

I dont use a chainsaw, loose too much meat to the kerf.:chainsaw: A taxidermist friend of mine uses an electric chainsaw for cutting off the antlers but bar lube isnt im####tant because he doesnt use the meat. I use a battery powered sawsall and it is great. I can get about one deer per charged battery.:clap:
Dave

we use them to cut up moose to get them out of the woods..
cut in 4 pieces no problem.
dont loose much along the backbone or the ribs,,needs to get trimmed after the saw anyway..
dont use oil at all,a cheap B&C worth getting 1000 lbs of meat..

YIKES!

I thought you meant something like throwing running chain saws at each others feet. But you meant game animals, not crazy games with chainsaws.

I thought you meant something like throwing running chain saws at each others feet. But you meant game animals, not crazy games with chainsaws.

Oh but we do have those games also..when cutting the critter up it's always fun to aim the discharge from the saw at a buddy and see how much blood and hair you can get on him !!!
then while cooking up the tendeloins and having a few beers we play "toss the saw " ,, make a ring out of empties and toss the saw into the circle without touching a can..
poor guy that brought the "wild thing" usually gets upset tho..

Buy a real meat saw it looks like a giant hacksaw. You will be surprised how fast they cut. Or a razor sharp hatchet

Latest posts

Back