Mag rot Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to optimise the amount of oil my bar is getting. I drilled the tiny bar oil ports out to their old school size that they use to be. Also noticed some mag rot around the oil delivery port. It made me wonder if it was leaking there too. Used some putty to build it up and file it flat.

Prep:IMG_4993.jpeg

Putty:
IMG_4995.jpeg

Filed flat:IMG_4997.jpeg

I kind of wonder how long that will last?

Never named any of my saws actually, but Margot is a neat name anyway. Maybe I should name one of mine 'Amy' but then I'd get my butt kicked by 'Amy' because that is my wife's name and no, she's not the typical demure Amy either. She's 6 foot tall and an 'Amazon Princess'....lol

Never named any of my saws actually, but Margot is a neat name anyway. Maybe I should name one of mine 'Amy' but then I'd get my butt kicked by 'Amy' because that is my wife's name and no, she's not the typical demure Amy either. She's 6 foot tall and an 'Amazon Princess'....lol
Dyslexia, or big fingers on a cell phone. 😂 or clickbait? I don't know?

Hopefully a long time. The mounts I made for the chain brake band have shown no signs of wear after about 6 hours of vibration and constant varying contact with the band. After all, I’m just a hack, messing around and having fun. If it fails I’ll enjoy tearing it down and putting new cases in so it’s no big deal either way.

The worst mag rot I have seen was caused from cutting palm trees, none local here but further South. Worst saw I ever dealt with myself was left on a concrete floor of an older mill repair shop that was constantly wetted from a leaking roof, the whole bottom was nearly disintegrated but judicious repair was used to replace with homemade metal plates all joined up with Devcon. some sanding and reshaping ,then paint made it look pretty good but it was a saw that would only be displayed and not run often. It did run but due to the weight of a bar and chain plus the strain of cutting wood might be too much for the repair.

Interesting, stihl sell bio-oil and I have never seen any signs of it rotting any mag?

It's nasty stuff (Stihl Bio-). I used it in my 066 when milling, so I could use the sawdust for mulch, and the saw sat ~ 1 year.

All the residue polymerized, it was hard to even scrape it off, and it took the paint with it, some spots the case was starting to rot underneath. It froze the tip up on the bar too. No solvent seemed to dissolve it. I didn't have any chlorinated solvents like dichloromethane or trichloroethane. Acetone, alcohols, gas, diesel, engine cleaner, carb cleaner would not touch it.

Never again........

It's nasty stuff (Stihl Bio-). I used it in my 066 when milling, so I could use the sawdust for mulch, and the saw sat ~ 1 year.

All the residue polymerized, it was hard to even scrape it off, and it took the paint with it, some spots the case was starting to rot underneath. It froze the tip up on the bar too. No solvent seemed to dissolve it. I didn't have any chlorinated solvents like dichloromethane or trichloroethane. Acetone, alcohols, gas, diesel, engine cleaner, carb cleaner would not touch it.

Never again........
Heat will burn the tip clean. I do it with jammed up wood fibers. It's already trashed so...

I finally got it free. Had to tap on the teeth with a punch, didn't mess it up.

Is a rare 3003 mount picco/lo pro bar I use for milling.
I've used a brass drift and it never works. Soaking them in acetone for a week should remove enough of the wood cell to free it up ifn you really need that tip to be in great shape for the long haul.

Latest posts

Back