cutting ice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I do a little bit of spearing up here just a little bit north of everything and Im wondering if there is a better chain for cutting holes in the ice. I am currently using Stihl RSC on a 25" bar. Im wondering if going to skip might help clear the slush better or maybe square ground. What do you guys think. Im using my 044 for the cutting and the ice varies from 8-24" thick depending on when and where I am

I do a little bit of spearing up here just a little bit north of everything and Im wondering if there is a better chain for cutting holes in the ice. I am currently using Stihl RSC on a 25" bar. Im wondering if going to skip might help clear the slush better or maybe square ground. What do you guys think. Im using my 044 for the cutting and the ice varies from 8-24" thick depending on when and where I am

I've no idea about the chain, but I'd suggest that you take care to avoid rust in your clutch bearing. And all the other steel bits, of course.

At work we used a Cutter's Edge rescue saw and bullet chain to cut ice and besides making a plunge cut it was slow sledding. I think cutting was faster using a hand saw. I think you would have better luck if you ground the rakers way down and used the skip chain you mentioned or maybe a demo saw.

i will talk from testing many types of chain with differant types of cutters, angles,raker depth,etc.. etc..L shaped cutters or square grind( no good for ice)skip chain is the way to go,my stihl dealer can only get skip chain that has L shaped cutters,ive had to refile all the cutters with a round file(35 degree angle)basically a RSC skip chain is what i make,rakers .050 low,any more than that low and skip chain becomes jumpy when cutting ice, your 044 would pull a 32" bar and skip chain easy,i pull that with my muff. modded 036 pro easy,i know you can order chain from baileys that will only require filing the rakers down and your ready to cut. good luck

i'm also interested in learning about this as I want to eventually get into spearing. Also I assume one shouldn't use standard bar oil, any recommendations on a supplement? Where on the range are you?

I just use the regular bar oil and scoop the oil off the surface and then throw a bunch of snow over the water and scoop again. I know some guys use newspaper to pull off the oil too. Nature is actually pretty good at dealing with small amounts of oil as there are a lot of different bacteria that actually break it down as food. Ive also heard of guys using windex instead of bar oil but Im not too sure on the lubricative properties of that. If your worried use bio oil

i never run any bar oil when cutting ice, the water is enough lubricant, i do however disable my oilpump by taking the plastic worm gear out and replace it with one that the threads have been shaved off thus it will not turn the oil pump,i dont like to run any pump on anything without lubricant,dont be afraid to cut ice with a chainsaw it will do it NO harm provided you dry it out after cutting,if i plan on cutting 1 spearhole my saw sits outside by my fishouse when im done,when i get home i put it in my basement hang it by rear handle to dry and its ready next time i wanna go spearin, i do however when done cuttin ice for the year spray my chains with some type of wd-40 and store in container till the next winter..

Back