Cutting in high winds,any tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I have two trees to take down on Wednesday, and they are predicting high winds for the day.Both are easy drops if it wasnt for the wind,but the forecast has me nervous.Here is my plan, maybe you guys have a better way of doing it.
Both trees are on either side of a driveway, the hill drops off the side both ways, and its steep.One is a good sized oak that doesnt have me concerned, the other is a large silver maple, 42 inches DBH.I HAVE to have them drop on the driveway, the owner wants both trees for firewood.If they drop back down the hill, Im going to spend a good amount of time winching them back up the hill.
My plan is to throw a line up into the tree as far as possible, climb it if I have to get that line as far up as I can, and hook my portable winch to the line.My portable winch has a 3700lb pull rating.To make sure, I plan on also wedging at the base to ensure that drop.
Like everywhere else, the leaves are gone and Im hoping that the canopy wont have enough sail to overload the winch and snap a line.It wont be the end of things if it does go over the hill,but I hate the prospect of hauling all that stuff up the hill a piece at a time.
We are expecting 30mph winds for the day, and I am unable to put this job off,already falling behind.
Anyone got any good ideas to ensure an accurate drop?

yes i will give you my tip big tree plus wind you better have another rope chain or cable attached to it do not rely on one source to pull it. a come along would work good a heavy truck with a 1 inch rope also good idea .dont do it without experianced help. whos cuttin whose pullin? cut it a little at a time not fast at all. cut pull a little etc and you better know your guy helping knows what hes doing.and if the guy pulling goes ape sh**t your in for a big barber chair or broken line .just my 2 cents what do i know.

yes i will give you my tip big tree plus wind you better have another rope chain or cable attached to it do not rely on one source to pull it. a come along would work good a heavy truck with a 1 inch rope also good idea .dont do it without experianced help. whos cuttin whose pullin? cut it a little at a time not fast at all. cut pull a little etc and you better know your guy helping knows what hes doing.and if the guy pulling goes ape sh**t your in for a big barber chair or broken line .just my 2 cents what do i know.

LOL,your funny.Help?Dont have any.Its always been just me,myself, and Irene always stays home.I have a wireless remote to pull as I cut,so thats not the problem.The whole job has my wife in a dander,nobody for miles around, the owner lives in Ohio, and no cell reception if something goes wrong.Tuesday night may be the last time that you guys here from me,but I have made the wife promise to send my saws to Woodbooga.

LOL,your funny.Help?Dont have any.Its always been just me,myself, and Irene always stays home.I have a wireless remote to pull as I cut,so thats not the problem.The whole job has my wife in a dander,nobody for miles around, the owner lives in Ohio, and no cell reception if something goes wrong.Tuesday night may be the last time that you guys here from me,but I have made the wife promise to send my saws to Woodbooga.

man i would help but to far sorry to hear that look for some help.im sure someone can help but just do it slowly if you cut them fast they fall fast and who knows where send pics if you can sounds like fun.

Rent a bucket, and block it down, or wait.

Both trees are too big to notch and fold, and going high with tension against that kind of wind puts all manner of unpredictable stresses on the stem above the hinge. Odds are you can get away with it, but if it blows out due to bad luck, you're in for a REALLY bad day.

I'd wait.

But if you're gonna go after it, have a back up tension line, and only LIGHTLY tension against the wind. One heavy gust and some line stretch and things can get stooopid. And the biggie, start the back cut with a sharp chain and the fastest saw ya got, and don't stop!

Again, I'd wait.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My tip for cutting in high winds....DON'T

Risk reward ain't there when a mere 24 hours removes 90% of risk

I wont be changing any lean characteristics,the tree has virtually no lean to it at all.The owner was willing to pay the big bucks if its gone by Wednesday, seems he is having some big party up there on Friday, and the trees are blocking his "view" of the valley below.
I wouldnt tackle the job except for what he is offering, a good sum when work is kinda hard to come by right now.Im busy on other stuff this week, and Wednesday is my only day.Has to be down and gone by Thursday evening and it going to take me all day Wednesday and Thursday to make that happen.
The oak is a piece of cake, its already leaning over the driveway,I could probably back into it with my truck and knock it the rest of the way.
But, as you guys well know, when money talks louder than your common sense....
Besides,my rep is on the line.One other company passed on the job....

I have made a few rules that I consider religion - I just don't break them:

1. Never run a saw alone....ever
2. Never fell in high winds....ever
3. Always fully suit up in PPE before starting the saw....always

These rules are simple and although frustrating at times they have prevented serious injuries (at least while a chainsaw has been in my hands).

I realize that my experience level is probably far below most of you guys, but I am betting that everyone should have a short list of safety rules that fit their skill level and keep them out of trouble.

It sounds as though you know what you should do - my advice is to trust your conscience - is the job really worth the risk?

I checked the weather forecast,looks like the wind is going against me instead of for me.Wind from the WNW, the tree has got to drop almost due north.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USTN0137?dayNum=2

Looks like I might be better off waiting until Thursday, the wind calms down and comes from the south.Might have to pull an all nighter on this one.

Last edited:
Johnny Cash, "The Lumberjack Song," (I think)

"I learned these facts from a logger named Ray
You don't cut imber on a windy day.

Stay out of the woods when the moisture's low,
Or you ain't gonna live to collect your dough."

I was dropping trees on a road cut; the way the canopies were tied into each other you had to be pretty careful to keep from getting hung up. Afternoon winds came up, and the little plumb lines we were using to check the trees for lean were blowing in the wind. My helper went to get a heavier weight for the plumb line, I told him that it was a sign to shut down for the day.

Part of it has to do with what the consequences are of the tree going the wrong way; if the wind grabs the tree will it hit a house or power lines or cross a busy road? Or is worst case scenario that you have to winch the tree up a hill? How solid do you anticipate the holding wood to be: if you are trying to control a tree with cables, unless you've got a REALLY fast and powerfull winch (or, like a big tractor to yank it with that cna accelerate fairly quickly), once it starts to move it's going to rely on the hingewood to keep it on track. If a powerful gust comes along at the wrong moment, it could knock the tree out of its face.

Last edited:
I checked the weather forecast,looks like the wind is going against me instead of for me.Wind from the WNW, the tree has got to drop almost due north.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USTN0137?dayNum=2

Avalancher,

If you're gonna do it anyway, get there REAL early in the morning, or wait till just about sundown. The wind always lays down a bit about those times, and often with a front coming or going will change directions for a bit leaving a small window. I have played this too many times getting a spray on when it absolutely HAS to be done.

It might just pay to camp out at 0500 and pick your spot after setting everything up.

Bring a helper or two to wedge the living snot outta things while you cut, and minimize time in the Oh #### zone and keep the slack outta the tension lines.

The more I think about it, the more I would wait, or even drop it at night if I had to make the time hack. Anything is better than having a big tree land on me. Them things HURT!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Just thought Id share an experience cutting in High winds.
during 2005 Hurricane Charlie, I had the house all battened down and was watching the winds through the cracks, So I notice my the ground moving arround my Japanese plum, with a 12 inch trunk and about 40 foot of height, the only shade for our deck.
I knew it would not hold for long the way the ground was heaving, so I decided Id rather have a topped plum than no shade, I climbed up in 40 mph winds and relieved the extra sail by cutting the top twenty feet.
the wind carried it about 50 feet from the tree and the tree stopped heaving the ground. after 4 years of stress and no plums it looks like it is going to have a nice crop this year if a freeze don't kill the blooms.

now understand the winds were not changing direction so I had a good Idea of which way the tree to would go, there was no fall, it took off like marry Poppins umbrella.
had the wind direction been variable I would never have went up the tree.

ETA, why is this in Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment rather than Commercial Tree Care and Climbing?

Last edited:
Part of it has to do with what the consequences are of the tree going the wrong way; if the wind grabs the tree will it hit a house or power lines or cross a busy road? Or is worst case scenario that you have to winch the tree up a hill? How solid do you anticipate the holding wood to be: if you are trying to control a tree with cables, unless you've got a REALLY fast and powerfull winch (or, like a big tractor to yank it with that cna accelerate fairly quickly), once it starts to move it's going to rely on the hingewood to keep it on track. If a powerful gust comes along at the wrong moment, it could knock the tree out of its face.

The only thing that happens if it goes the wrong way is I have a ton of extra work to do,not a big deal.Just trying to avoid spending an extra four hours pulling the dang thing up the hill piece by piece.
What I have done in the past is a little tricky,but it works for me.

I cut a notch half way through the tree then hit the winch to it.Pull the line good and tight and listen with the saw off,listen for any popping noises and watch the canopy.Start the back cut, and after getting 1/4 way through,stop and listen some more.Pound a couple of wedges in while listening to the wood.Often at this point I can retreat to a safe distance and throw the power to the winch.Most times than not,at this point with 1/4 of the tree making my hinge I can pull the tree right on over.Done a million of times.Makes for a soft landing, the tree will often stay up on its own if you back off the winch until you get past the 1/4 way down.Of coarse I wouldnt want to be standing anywhere near the hinge at this point, I have had a few that shattered the base and sent splinters flying everywhere.

My only concern here is the wind overpowering the winch,its only got 3700lbs of pull.With the line 3/4 of the way it shouldnt be a problem, but there really is no way of calculating how much sail that thing is going to be able to grab.

ETA, why is this in Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment rather than Commercial Tree Care and Climbing?

It probably belongs over there, but I live here in the FHWBE.Actually,the tree coming down is going to be turned into firewood, so I reckon this place will do!Besides, your all such a charming bunch,I hate to run over and pester some strangers for some tips!

Avalancher,
The more I think about it, the more I would wait, or even drop it at night if I had to make the time hack. Anything is better than having a big tree land on me. Them things HURT!
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Johnny Cash, "The Lumberjack Song," (I think)

"I learned these facts from a logger named Ray
You don't cut imber on a windy day.
Stay out of the woods when the moisture's low,
Or you ain't gonna live to collect your dough."

I have made a few rules that I consider religion - I just don't break them:

2. Never fell in high winds....ever

Risk reward ain't there when a mere 24 hours removes 90% of r
isk

Listen to your mothers.:buttkick::buttkick:

Risk reward ain't there when a mere 24 hours removes 90% of risk

The only thing I can add to that is. Pay heed to wind direction when urinating.

The only thing I can add to that is. Pay heed to wind direction when urinating.

Ahh yes, the peeing against the wind proscription.

Why are so many men overboard bodies off shore found with open flies ? :taped:

Keep us in the loop Av. :yoyo:

Back