cutting poisen ivy /oak/sumak(sp) at the base of tree,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
it dies all the way up,is it still unsafe to touch when dead?.....got a poplar tree COVERED 3/4 .

it dies all the way up,is it still unsafe to touch when dead?.....got a poplar tree COVERED 3/4 .

If you can not handle it, I got about 8 guys that can! Really though, Try to get started, early morning and less sweating.BTW- Sometimes you need to negotiate a DZ!
Jeff -Traffic control pusher!
ARG! :)

Yes!!!!! Check into the vacine. I take an injection once a week for three weeks, and no more poison ivy. I use to live with poison ivy all year long until I found out about the vacine, now I take it in the spring and I'm good for about a Year. Won"t go without it.

aha im assuming ,you have to ask a doc about this,for some reason all the years we been doing this this never really came up ....weird

Even dead, the urishoil in the plant tissues are still a threat.
I get it in the middle of winter from long dead PI.

Cut it, and let it rot off the tree, or take your chances with a Pole pruner, coveralls, and NEVER touching your eyes or taking a leak, untill you have decontaminated yourself obcessively.

Never burn the stuff. It's a nasty way to get dead.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i have it all over my arms right now from cleaning the lexan door of my forestry mulcher. did a job last week and the stuff was in every tree...

It's that time of year ain't it.
The stuff is in fullest glory here as well.

I got my weekly dose from the sprayer boom this time.
Next week, it will probably be from crawling under the harvester.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yes, you get the injection from a doctor. I have not gotten poison ivy in 3 years, since I started taking the vacine. I will never skip my spring ritual.

Sorry, I have nothing, I can swim in a pool of it, never get it.
I think it has something to do with all the weird shots they gave me in the Marines!

My guys use that "Ivy Block". They get it at Vermeer. They seem too like it

Any doc gonna have the vaccination? Need to look into that, have a climber that can look at it from 100 yds and get it!

Yes, it still bites even dead. I sprayed a big bunch of it for a neighbor, it died, and 2 months later he decided to clean it all out w/ a weed eater while wearing short pants. He learned a valuable lesson that day.

We did 6 trees that were cabled from top to bottom with PI. 4 of them were 40 ft. skinny ash trees and their circumference was doubled with the PI. We dropped those and grabbed them with the mini skid and branch manager and fed them right into the chipper. The other two were a crab apple and a russian olive. We had to cut those apart but there was no really way to avoid getting swatted when feeding the chipper. We wore Tyvek suits with hoods. It was in the 80s and pure misery but aside from some poison ivy on my neck and wrists I was able to avoid the worst of it. The Tyvek was cheap protection and we keep a few in the truck.
Phil

I routinely turn down pi jobs. At this point in my life, it really isn't worth it to put up with the extensive rash that I develop over a four day period. I then suffer through the itching and swelling/redness for the next two weeks. I may look into the shots, as mentioned above, but I'm not sure I will go that way as I try to avoid most medications.

Yea I am luck as well and just never get the stuff no matter how thick it gets. Only thing that happens to me is when the sap drips onto my skin it will actually burn into your skin. Had a spot on my neck the size of a soda can last year and currently have a small spot from it on my tricep. Doesn't itch or anything just looks a little nasty all black from the sap.

Yea I am luck as well and just never get the stuff no matter how thick it gets. Only thing that happens to me is when the sap drips onto my skin it will actually burn into your skin. Had a spot on my neck the size of a soda can last year and currently have a small spot from it on my tricep. Doesn't itch or anything just looks a little nasty all black from the sap.
I never got it either until my mid 50's. Now ever time I get it, it seems to be worse than before. I probably would have turned down the job we did but the woman who lived there had been hospitalized three times the previous year because of the stuff. I could see where they'd taken steps to try and kill it but it was the worst case of ivy growth I'd ever seen on a property. I have a date to go back in the fall and try and chase it back another 30 ft. or so from the house but I think this time I'll get a roll off and load everything in there.
Phil

I did not know their was a shot for poison ivy I will look into it. I also never had any trouble with posion ivy up untill 3 years ago. Used to be able to wade through the stuff with no problems. Now when I see it I duct tape my overalls etc and change them everyday but if your sweating it seems to seep right through the overalls. If I know I've been exposed I will spray myself down with brake cleaner and shower with orange cleaner. I still got it a couple of weeks ago and it slowly spread almost everywhere like a heat rash. I got it when the forestry mower threw a track and I was rolling around on the ground trying to get it hooked back up. Was too frustrated and hot to go get cleaned up right away (wasn't thinking about posion ivy at the moment.

Yea I usually don't have the chance to cut it and let it be before starting the job. Worst being last year on a land clearing job. Had to strip out and top a side of a hill before starting work on the top of the hill. Most of the locust had PI going from bottom to at least 50-60' up it. Most vines where 2-3" thick and at worst you couldn't even see the trunk but had to cut it all out of the way spiking up each tree. Know I got some in my throat that day as well cause it was pretty sore and swollen by days end making it hard to swallow water. Was this job that introduced me to PI in the form of a chemical burn being what I thought was dirt didn't end up washing of at days end.

we did do this maple last year or so that i remember poisen ivy being around,i didnt even get it ,BUT i did get a CRAP LOAD OF CHIGGER BITES on my left leg ,gawd it looked soo SO SO SO horrible,looked like i was shot with buck shot a couple times on my leg ...that is by far the worst itch there is,cause it feels so good to scratch it,made 3rd time i had them

dont want them again

Yeah, cut it with the top of your bar!

Where does one get this shot? At an allergist? I asked a dermatologist and they were not sure.

I have become extremely sensitive to it. Is the shot very costly?

Back