Cutting Poplar...couple pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
2 different poplar hitches from today.

Poplar.jpg

poplar2.jpg

What are you getting BDF for the poplar? Grade and Blocking?

You need to get a swing boom to bunch the hitches for that big skidder, LOL.

Sam

Waitta minnit...Aren't bars longer than 16" illegal that far east? :D

Just kidding. Nice pics.

Is that headed for Shelburne?
I really don't know. It's a matter of who pays more and who's too far away. Trucker has to balance price and trucking costs /efficiency.

What are you getting BDF for the poplar? Grade and Blocking?

You need to get a swing boom to bunch the hitches for that big skidder, LOL.

Sam

It's pulp. Think I was told $24 a ton on the landing...but I have to ask again.

Not sure what "grade and blocking" means!

I don't have much trouble gathering hitches with it, I take stems 2-3 at a time and drop them up the trail until I get 8-9 in line, then drive over and pick them up on the way out.

It's pulp. Think I was told $24 a ton on the landing...but I have to ask again.

Not sure what "grade and blocking" means!

I don't have much trouble gathering hitches with it, I take stems 2-3 at a time and drop them up the trail until I get 8-9 in line, then drive over and pick them up on the way out.

OIC, was just wondering, I sold my last poplar for .45-.50 cents per board foot for grade and .30 for rough logs.

Sometimes we only get .24 for the blocking/rough logs.

Sam

One of today's hitches. That top one is pretty large for a NH poplar. That's a 576XP with a 24" bar on the log beside it. They generally don't live long enough to get much bigger. Most of these I am cutting are just starting to rot, some worse than others.

View attachment 265980

Ok, I'll bite (and show my ignorance). How do you manage to keep your chain saw perched atop a log when you're skidding it out??? My luck, I'd either lose it, or a log would roll over and crush it. Thanks for the pics.

Ok, I'll bite (and show my ignorance). How do you manage to keep your chain saw perched atop a log when you're skidding it out??? My luck, I'd either lose it, or a log would roll over and crush it. Thanks for the pics.

Superglue.

Sam

It's a Husqvarna. So mean, so tough, it just bites in and holds on like a Pit-Bull.

My pit bulls when I was a kid where very lovable... farted allot though... liked to bite the neighbor kids, but only after they kicked them... and they usually let go pretty quick usually.

On a side note... Oldtimer yer werk sure is different than what we do out here on the west coast, still looks like loggin though.

The wifey/war dept. suggested a sort of east coast, west coast exchange logger deal. Should be funny to watch...

nice timber and pics OT

is there much market out your way for stuff that is nicer than pulp? Some of that stuff looks decent?

happy near year, stay safe.

-dave

Hey OT, how many gallons of diesel does your skidder burn in a day?

If I really use it steady, and use the throttle like I don't give a dang about it, it uses 15 gallons in an 8 hour day easily. But, on average, working alone and not being a thrash and slash guy...I put in about 7 gallons a day...5 gallons one day, 10 the next, and so on like that.

Hey OT, how many gallons of diesel does your skidder burn in a day?

There is a market, but it's not paying enough to bother trying to sort the best of it...there isn't that much that would be good enough. Most every one has a bit of rot started. It's good that it's being cut now. In 5 years half would have been down and rotting.

Back