Cutting Red Oak on a Slope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workin'Rabbit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Somewhat new to cutting firewood and am in need of suggestions. Ive been cutting some red oak off of 2 trees that went down in a storm about a 1 1/2 yr ago. Ive gotten about a 4-5 cords worth of wood out of the upper 1/3-1/2 of the tree and am getting down to the lower, larger portion. That was the background, here's my problem. The rest of the two trees are lying on a slope of roughly 30° or so and the trunks are about 32" or so across. Both trunks are lying across smaller downed trees. I am cutting with a 20" bar on a Stihl 460 but have a 25" I can swap to. Any advice for the new dude one how to proceed in taking these sisters to my woodshed safely?

I will try and post pics tomorrow.... Maybe I'm overstating the degree of the slope...as I said I'm new to this. Tons of other factors that a trained eye will look at that I wouldn't notice as well I'm sure. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas

Standing uphill of the block you are about to cut is a good start. Always make sure you have a secure footing.

I suppose you don't have anything to drag the tree down with.

Always have a helper or a phone ,chain the log so it wont take your saw for a ride ,1/4 the rounds and pack it out . HF has a 8000 lb winch was something like 300 $ .

I do have a tractor I could pull them down with but am a little afraid the log will over run it.... I'll definitely chain it before cutting. Makes perfect sense once I was told.... Thanks so much guys

I have a water front backyard to clear here too that is overgrown with oak that i have been task to clear..Do the roots always **** off into those vines on oak trees..LMAO..The slop is what really has me worried..

Hey Oldman, thanks for the vid....always looking for advice and pointers. Iron workers, thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly what I decided to do after your comment. Thanks y'all for the input. It's greatly appreciated.

Back