Damage from logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess that if it's Grandma's deal, then Grandma is the only one with the ability to take action.

Obviously, their reputation is of no value to them. I would try to make sure they are limited to the letter of their agreement, whatever it may be. I believe that if they take more than what was contracted, damages get up their pretty quickly, something like triple stumpage? Of course, what you can do is controlled be the laws of your state. I think it would be wise to get professional help ASAP, and I would start with a reputable forester. That person could let you know if you have legal grounds to recover any damages. I suspect at this point all you can do is limit what happens from here out.

And of course, advice on the Internet is worth only what you pay for it, our ability to comment is affected by the quality of the data in, there are two sides to every story, and opinions are like a_ _hole_, everyone has one and they all stink (except mine).

Good luck
That's good advice and I'll take it to heart and look for a pro to assist me. I will post more info as it becomes known to me. Thanks everyone for the help!

I'm betting the Michigan has a county forestry program. Or a state run one? Those are places to start, AFTER you've talked to grandma. Maybe she's happy with the job?
Meanwhile...here's a professional, well done, falling job. Planning was done in advance of any work on the ground.
fellandbuck.JPG

Here is another area, after logs were yarded in. It was a skyline yarded unit.

DSCN0582.JPG

I'm betting the Michigan has a county forestry program. Or a state run one? Those are places to start, AFTER you've talked to grandma. Maybe she's happy with the job?
Meanwhile...here's a professional, well done, falling job. Planning was done in advance of any work on the ground.
View attachment 445820

View attachment 445821
That's a proper job..grama is in tears about it

Contract? References checked?

In the future, I'd recommend walking the area with the logger BEFORE anything is cut. Take a few roles of flagging along and flag in the skid trails. That helps with the falling. If they are good, they directionally fall the trees and can minimize damage.

Was each tree to be cut, marked? If not, how and who is picking each tree to cut? Was there a timber cruise (volume estimation) done before cutting?

Sounds like you need........a forester!

Pictures of damage are fine, but what percentage of the whole stand of trees is acceptable to be damaged? I've never seen a perfect logging job, unless you count clearcuts.
You need to figure out what is acceptable...10%? and put that, and everything else, in writing.
I definitely agree that a forester should have been involved along with a ride through estimate. All of this happened and was set in stone before I had a chance to interfere. With that said we went through and counted 75 that were supposed to be cut and 120 down as result. I understand completely that damage to others is going to happen but that number seems way too high to me.

Of what size were the 120 down?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

View attachment 445820

View attachment 445821
From the size of the timber that was all export correct? Do you do any commercial thinnings in young stands such as 20 to 25 year old?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm thinking big white oak and hard maple. Maybe some poplar. A piece or two of ash that's good yet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Everything was laid out before any cutting began. I walked every skid trail and painted trees to be cut for skid trails, we located landings and Okayed cutting extra trees for those and marked them. There was no spontaneity except for an occasional hang up, which was a safety hazard.

Of course, the contract is at least an inch thick. That was on federal land.

I'm with Slowp on this one. Not in the contract = not their problem. You have to have a good cruise and layout before hand and some form of administrator to oversee that the terms of the contract are met. While it does look like they're making a bit of a mess, without a contract, there's nothing saying that they can't. Time is money. This is how it works in the woods. Please talk to a forester before planning any future timber sales.

Consensus is that consulting with a forester is a must...unfortunately no one heard me saying that all along and still won't seem to listen. I talked to man in charge and was told there is a contract and it states 208 trees for 26500. Sorry about the bad info before. One of those is in a yard of a rental..that one is $3000 by itself. Seems they are going to make a good amount off that deal..

Well, if she's not happy then you can feel free to try to be a little more proactive.

...I talked to man in charge and was told there is a contract and it states 208 trees for 26500...
Can you get a copy of the contract? I would hope your Grandma has her copy. First place to start. I would bet that it has some sort of language about quality of work. My biggest fear would be that it is a one sided boiler plate thing that ends up giving your family no power. In which place you will need to start planning the future clean up, and live with what happens, while make sure they only take the absolute minimum they are allowed.

Good Luck

From the pics it does look like a bad haircut. Will the loggers be cleaning up the tops? If so, that is when most of the damage is incured if not done properly.
When a large hardwood is felled quite a bit of the understory gets wiped out as colateral damage, but a good logger will nip those off along with any spring poles.
As far as scale and purchase price is concerned, it sounds like they payed 125$/tree with a conservative scale of 60,000 board feet.
The bottom line is how many crop trees are left behind and wether the basal area is right.
Once the fuelwood is taken out you will have a better view of what kind of woodlot they left behind.
Contracts are fine as long as they aren't written up to entrap either party.
John

Back