Dancing With the Devil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logging show

I think we need to have one more show and the winner can have all the bragging rights We can make the rules up on this site lets have 5.0 ,6.0 ,and hot saw ,we can have somebody check bores and the chain race of course (24 inch bar .050 gauge husky bar also your chain must fit my 385xp husky with your choice of rim 7,8,9,10,11,12, and the saw will be set by tachometer before each cut) also my saw is stock if you need to try one first only mod is extra exhaust port with screen saw has about 2 days and 3 gallons run threw it so it will be broke in

"The opinions that I express are my own. I don’t have a group. I don’t have toadies, lackies or sycophants"

When my father was racing cars, it all came down to mony.
This is more skills, yes you can bye a really fast saw and run it, thats all wery good.
But the ones that impress me is the ones that build all from scratch AND run.

What`s the point in competing if there is different rueles for each contestant/race/event?
Well I can say "I won", and if I don't, I can try and find some foults in the others. Fact still is I did not win that race, no matter what.

Art Martin.
Do not let them get under your skin. I for one love to read your posts.

Mange

Before everyone get's their undies twisted, let's all be cool.

There rules were made before the the race. If someone want's to change them then it should be left up to Paul. Pauls saws were running gas. He didn't complain. There is no question that there were some fast saws running that day. I don't want this to turn into a slam fest and people regret what they say.

As for 2 sides it's more of a compition scene. Let's be cool and I will give Paul a buzz and see what he says.

AS for the 056 that's a different story. Ken himself made mention that it was a cheat saw. Maybe he didn't show because he knew that before the show. Let's all be cool and see what pans out. Maybe Ken might chime in and we can get the real story. I was distrubed that ken didn't make a showing after traveling that far to meet him. But there must be some reason. Let's hear it first.

In the spirit of this famed Redneck game I like it, But I don't want to open my checkbook to find out later the rules are changing. I have commisioned a few saws to be built all gas. If I loose no big deal, if I place that's great. It's all fun and games remember that.

Carpe Diem. It's an exhortation to live life to the fullest, getting the most out of each individual day.

Good post Marky.

I want to remind you guys that as a moderator here I read virtually every post in this forum. Don`t assume that because I am not involved in the thread or commenting that noone is watching what goes on.

I consider myself to be a very easy going moderator and allow alot of ad libbing and verbal horseplay but I won`t allow personal attacks or malicious behavior toward any poster. I can see this thread starting to degenerate to where a moderator`s intervention will be necessary.

Keep it cool guys.

Russ

Jokers, this was a kool thread until you opened you big trap!Lots of pictures, some good BS, now look at it. SlugO thread! joe

Well to get the spirit back in this post here's a few of the Fellas.

Bob is in the far left, Lee I never did get his last name, Dennis Harvey with the half inch chain tattoo and the Mac Cat filer Tommy Fales.

I did learn one thing, there not called rakers there RIDERS. Tom will have to elaborate on that one.

Last edited:
Art you most likely are right ? you were playing with alcohol before i was even a wet dream in my Dad's mind. But if you were running alcohol then why did you go back to gas, sure a gas engine is easier to build but from what i have seen not as fast,
and i do agree with you on one thing forsure, i want to know the rules before i leave the house.

There is one thing about the NYSLA rules. They are the same at all the shows. The only class that has been dropped from all of the shows is Large Stock. We still carry the rules but because of conflict and who has the $ to drop into the saw there is no show running the class.
The only show I had to ask about rules was Webster, WV. And in some ways what people are saying still contradicts each other. But what I do know is this. I saw at least 6 saws with Split heads that ran good and a few without that were in the running also.

So what are the rules? I want to see if any of my clubs fit in.

Later,
Chris

EHP,
Nice to hear from you and your opinions.
I quit competiting some 21 years ago due to a serious blockage in my heart and on my doctors orders. I sold all my equipment and just plain quit. It was only later that I started helping some of the underdogs when I saw the unfairness that was going on.
At the time I competed, I only ran alcohol in my West Bend because the rules were at that time on the other classes, that the saws have their fuel dumped and the show will furnish the gas mixture. When I lived in the populated area of San Jose, I had as a friend a national champion Go Karter. He helped me a lot and sold me his special mixed alcohol that was left over from the previous weekend.
Now for the few shows that we have in the immediate area, I just don't care to get involved with hassle of flushing and mixing the fuel.
Robert and I went to Paul's the week before the 25th when he and his wife were in the area for a horse show. We went there to tune up my saws on some old logs left over from last year. I live in the city and have no place to run tests on my saws and chains. When we asked about the show on the 25th, Paul's answers were unclear. He said maybe one cut, maybe two cuts, maybe bore cuts. He didn't know the sizes of logs because they hadn't arrived yet. So I didn't know what bars and chains to bring. Of course he did the best he could and had a good show.
My P52 didn't run good probably because of the reed problems I'm having. Ed, you probably remember I contacted you about this fretting quite a while ago, don't you? Anyway Robert went back to Washington a few days later to get the Preditor and I left it up him to aquire a saw for the 5 cube class. It wasn't a 056 magnum but but ran strong.
Hope the answers your questions.

Art Martin

Art yes i remember and my anwser is the same as before.
I agree that gas is far easier to run and you donot have as many things to think about before and during your run as with alcohol but around here the chainsaw guys at the shows out number the choppers so gas is really not even a thought , just to flush after wards,

one thing i have to say is I know how much power a 090 can make before the crank says bye bye, and for it to be on muffler not pipe you have to be down on horsepower, your 1/2 inch
chain has to be cutting very well and fast cause it's still there at the end of the day

ehp,

Art, knew all the rules, he says he was at Paul's a week before the contest, what?, did he forget to ask Paul about the rules? I don't think so! The rules were the same as last year. What he's saying is, he didn't know the size of wood, and what bars to use. Nobody did until Paul got the wood. Cahoon was told about Wed. by Paul Smith, that a 24" bar would cut any of the wood, so he threw in his 28" bars too, just in case. The biggest wood was 21". As far as the number of cuts, Paul told me he wanted to do 2 cuts in the 6cu. and open class, and a bore in the 5cu. but, Rotax, Rupley, Lee, and Art complained the morning of the show, so Paul decided to put it up for a vote. It was decided 2 cuts. The bars they had on their saws were long enough to make 2 cuts. Art just doesn't quite give you all the facts!
"It wasn't a 056 magnum but but ran strong." LOL Do I detect a stutter there? So what was it then, Art?

BD. do you know Dennis gets his bars from , is there a bar shop out there to make bars to your size, I know cannon does but no thanks, there price in our money is close to $500 bucks for a 24 inch bar that will take a 12 or 13 tooth gear

WOW

Mr. ehp i think you need to Mr. Martin straight it was his 655 that had reed problems .

new show

I would like to get another show in this year I will talk to paul and ask if we can we will have the rules on this thread so peaple will know what to bring we can do it for the bragging rights I would love to try again so email me with your answers. Also post what you would like to have 1cut, 2cut, bore cut. Just reply so we can set this up before winter.Also somebody will have to kidnapp Ken and bring him to the show dont worry Ken we will have you home before dark

I'd like to see an "exotic fuels" class with saws that run on anything other than pump gas ( including airplane fuel ) and alcohol.

There could propane, white gas/ether, hydrogen/CNG, or even my favorite theoretical chainsaw fuel- ethyl acetate/acetone.

The saws would have to make 7 cuts and the winner would get a lifetime pass for unlimited rides on the "Cliffhanger" at Six Flaggs.

Latest posts

Back