Dang !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ad doesnt specify delivery range. I'll take 10 cords, where is Ocean City ?

Think they can have it here in the morning. At least by noon ?

I guess it just goes to show you how desperate the times are getting. Folks are willing to work for less and less money as things get tighter.
I know every day I pass by the local farmers market, and see more and more trucks lined up with fresh cut wood trying to sell it. Most of those guys sit in their trucks most of the day hoping to make a sale.
Last night there were 4 pickups there with a rick of wood in each. Going price was 40 bucks/a rick for all oak delivered.
Sure glad my regular customers dont drive by there.:)

ok i'll bite. what do you guys call a cord down in the states?
up here we specify it as (ususally ) 4' x 8' x 16" and that sells around 70-80$ per cord.
just curious
thanx

We don't do that face cord or rick or kitchen cord etc.. Up here it's a cord and it's 4x4x8. $225 for 2 cord hardwood! I'll take all I can get me! Ocean City is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland by the way Kansas.

PS: Nice lookin saw Caz!

Last edited:
I've been paying $105 for a true cord of wood. All cut and split. It's mostly white oak. If it's not white oak it's a different kind of oak. Everything has a split edge. It's great firewood. I have my order in for out 70 cords. I have to pick it up though. It's 28 miles one way.

Scott

I saw a huge Oak lying in a neighbor's yard yesterday while taking a walk.The brush was gone, but the trunk and limbs added up to about 3 cords.Just down the block I noticed a hand-drawn sign advertising oak firewood.I called it, hoping it was for the tree I had seen.It wasn't (although I was the second guy to ask).The guy said he had so much response from the signs that he ordered more wood from MO.I guess my point is, we all use Craigslist, and our local CL is full of firewood ads from a bunch of guys who have plenty of wood they aren't selling.This guy, with his illegal lawn signs, sells out in a day with old school technology.

I've been paying $105 for a true cord of wood. All cut and split. It's mostly white oak. If it's not white oak it's a different kind of oak. Everything has a split edge. It's great firewood. I have my order in for out 70 cords. I have to pick it up though. It's 28 miles one way.

Scott

That's an amazing price for a true cord of cut/split oak! It's not even break even? Would not be worth the effort for the seller you'd think. 70 cords? That's 7 grand and some. I guess your reselling. What are you gonna use too pick it up a train? :clap:

We don't do that face cord or rick or kitchen cord etc.. Up here it's a cord and it's 4x4x8. $225 for 2 cord hardwood! I'll take all I can get me! Ocean City is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland by the way Kansas.

PS: Nice lookin saw Caz!

Yeah, I figured it wasn't close, judging from the OP's location.

They missed a sale here. I was kidding anyway I didn't figure they would make the 1400 mile drive to here.

I figure mine to run me between $40 - $50 a cord, unsplit, in expences. During the Spring/Summer it was closer to $60 - $70 a cord, unsplit, because of fuel costs. I should have just lowballed the price then and run out.

I held out dropping my price not knowing the bottom would fall out of the price for firewood. Now the recession and a BUNCH of layoffs in the area has dropped the price even further. Selling firewood don't look so good at the moment. Seems people will pay $40-$50 for a 1/3 cord of green wood faster than they will pay $100 for a seasoned 1/2 cord.

I'm not hungry and it doesn't eat anything so it can set another year.

that isnt really that good a deal compared to where i live ...
i get seasoned split ash oak or cherry whichever i prefer and cut to my deisred length delivered and dumped in a dump trailer -2 cords for 200$ within 30 miles
ive seen theres often even cheaper than that if i was picky

Last edited:
flotek, I agree that price seems about right for around here. I have a standing agreement with a guy about a 1/2 mile from me I sell him a cord for $110. This can be mixed hardwoods all dry ready to burn. All I have to do is pull in his small parking lot and dump on a pile. He spilts some of it smaller some he leaves alone. He has everything from old shopping carts to small fruit boxes with wood in at varying prices. Once and a while he will stack a true half cord and sell it that way. He's not getting rich off of it and neither am I, but we,re both making a little pocket money. Plus it keeps feeding our addiction to firewood and chainsaws.:cheers:

You gotta be a fool, real hungry, or just a plain ole jackazz to be willing to work up a cord of good wood and sell it for under $125/cord. :dizzy:

You gotta be a fool, real hungry, or just a plain ole jackazz to be willing to work up a cord of good wood and sell it for under $125/cord. :dizzy:

Don't know the situation but I have a buddy that has a landscaping/tree trimming business and sells cheap like that too. The thing is he's ALLREADY been paid to take the trees down and the wood is a by product. He works in the suburbs and you'd DIE if you see what he gets to take EASY trees down. He said on average 1 job will yield 10 others as people stop or walk up saying they need him too. He basically picks and chooses and as his work load goes up so do his prices on jobs.

He put it to me this way and it'll hit home. If you had a mowing business and someone offered to pay you for your grass clippings what would you do? He used to take some of it to the dump and PAY to get rid of it as it was in his way. I suggested building a pole barn to store and he gets paid...twice... for it.

Around here You can't drive more than 1/2 mile in any direction and see a pile of wood for sale. I know some guys charging 150 -160 a cord but they're hauling it 30-40 miles one way. For as convinient as I have it I think I'm still ahead of these guys. I was once told by a very smart business owner that he would rather make fast dimes then slow quarters. It seems evey town has it's own market price for firewood so you can only charge what your local market will support.

The way I figure it, per face cord, for me to cut down a tree, cut it into rounds, put the rounds in my backhoe, take it up to the splitter I have about 1 hour in labor. About 1 hour to split it and pile it. I have about 1/2 hour loading into my truck/trailer another 1/2 hour to stack it at the customers house. Right there that is about 3 hours per face cord. Now figure at least 1/2 hour each way drive time and pretty soon you got 4 hours labor per face cord. Put on top of that How much time do you spend sharpening chains, maintaining equipment, fuel for my backhoe, it takes a decent amount of money to make a face cord of wood. I figure fuel for my truck, depreciation, tires oil changes etc it costs me at least .50 cents a mile to deliver wood on top of my labor. 100-150 a full cord is just nuts. Around here guys are getting 250-350 a cord on the high end. To me thats about right. Any less then that and its not worth it. Teh big thing as stated above is if you get PAID to take the wood down and paid to get rid of it(in the form of firewood) your ok. I dont get paid to cut the trees down, so I am at a disadvantage, but still if I coudlnt get at least 250 a cord, I wouldnt sell it.

That's an amazing price for a true cord of cut/split oak! It's not even break even? Would not be worth the effort for the seller you'd think. 70 cords? That's 7 grand and some. I guess your reselling. What are you gonna use too pick it up a train? :clap:

It is a good price I have had people try and sell it to me a bit cheaper but I won't t my source out. He's reliable and has a good clean product. He likes to live simple and will go cut 4-6 ranks and be back at his house by noon. I pay him in cash. So he makes a decent wage cutting wood. He has a super splitter so that helps a lot. He sold over 400 cord last year. I haul it in a 1-Ton Dodge with a dump trailer. I haul 2 2/3 cords at a time. I'll start making 3 trips a day one day a week. Hopefully next week.

There is another guy local that buys wood. He pays $65 rank ($195 cord) in the spring. He buys 1k ranks a year or more.

Yes your right i resell it. $300-$330 a cord. But have to shell out the cash and hold the wood for 9 months or so then sell it. I have to haul and deliver and stack. Not to bad of a deal though. Come this winter I'll have 150 cords ready to sell.

Back