Danger Danger... advice sought.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I had to pull a power head and leave the bar time was not a factor. I had cutting area control so even if the tree fell on its own it was going to fall into the lean and the lay. It took maybe 4 or 5 minutes to walk to the truck and grab the scrench and pull the power head.

Before that time, a few years ago I had time to grab the camera and snap 1 pic that (I posted that here later) before I had to cut a new face. Taking the power head off sometimes is a real bear to do. Or impossible.

The way I read this regulation (I've run afoul of it with a hanger or two myself) is that if a tree is unstable on its own, no biggie, but if I touch it, I'm responsible for it. That said, push-falling it with another tree, or equipment, or blasting it down, or whatever it takes, if we start the process we have to see it to the ground. I think this is reasonable. As for killing a saw or two now and then, them's the breaks. I haven't yet busted anything I couldn't fix, but my turn is surely coming. It's only a matter of time.

I make it a personal point to never leave anything hung up or sky bound, too many crews out here will stack 4-5 trees into a leave tree and just call the skidder in to pull em out, thereby making the leave tree a salvage tree, or they leave #### hung up all over the place on private ground and deal with it tomorrow or next week whatever, not my land... pisses me off.

I would have gotten the head off. Either that or there is the pull cord as a last resort. There is almost always time if you are observant enough to know when its really time to split. Also if you could have put that one on the ground with the lean I would have. That slab will pop out every time at you. PUSH the damn thing if you can. If its a matter of life and death or pissin the landowner off because you cut an unmarked or leave tree, well you know what I'd do. All bets are off with everything until I get something like that on the ground safely (I would have let them know that too before I laid into it). If I need to borrow any surrounding timber I will. I've been in that same exact situation many times (not in softwood obviously) and it can be different every time. I'd just try to figure out all of the scenarios beforehand and what I can use from my surroundings before I get to sawin away. Typically I don't get weeks or months to look at a particular ugly that has to come down. Its just in part of my cutting for the day when I walk up to it. Make sure you've got everything sawed up first before you start cutting the face off. And if you absolutely have to cut a tree off the stump cut the holding corner off towards the middle (the tree will have some kind of side lean no matter how slight), make sure its going the right way, and run like hell! These situations never show how ugly they are in video I know.

My point of view with safety? We always had a dreadfully boring meeting prior to operations starting and would go over what to do if you had to take another tree that was not designated. That is OK to do BUT, you fallers or your boss or your first born needs to let the other party know that you had to cut an undesignated tree. Otherwise, if I came across one on my skipping through the brush excursion, I wouldn't know what was going on and was likely to phone your boss and be very cranky.

This is for huskystihls benefit--we foresters can usually spot a hung up tree. Those occur in nature too. But a set back tree? If you don't come at it from the right angle, or the brush is thick, or you don't wear your glasses in the woods, and miss seeing the face cut, it looks just like a normal standing tree and you'll walk right under it or by it. That's why those beasts are extra dangerous to my way of thinking. Every once in a while, a bad firewood hack will leave one by a road. One memorable one was left during the night along a fairly busy road. The wind blew it enough to open up the cut so somebody noticed and a faller was sent out immediately to get it on the ground. No saw was left behind though. We figured it was a case of somebody with too short of a bar--it was an old growth doug fir.

Every once in a while, a bad firewood hack will leave one by a road.

Or, you know, all the way up in the air:

temporary_zps989140ee.jpg

My point of view with safety? We always had a dreadfully boring meeting prior to operations starting and would go over what to do if you had to take another tree that was not designated. That is OK to do BUT, you fallers or your boss or your first born needs to let the other party know that you had to cut an undesignated tree. Otherwise, if I came across one on my skipping through the brush excursion, I wouldn't know what was going on and was likely to phone your boss and be very cranky.

This is for huskystihls benefit--we foresters can usually spot a hung up tree. Those occur in nature too. But a set back tree? If you don't come at it from the right angle, or the brush is thick, or you don't wear your glasses in the woods, and miss seeing the face cut, it looks just like a normal standing tree and you'll walk right under it or by it. That's why those beasts are extra dangerous to my way of thinking. Every once in a while, a bad firewood hack will leave one by a road. One memorable one was left during the night along a fairly busy road. The wind blew it enough to open up the cut so somebody noticed and a faller was sent out immediately to get it on the ground. No saw was left behind though. We figured it was a case of somebody with too short of a bar--it was an old growth doug fir.

I totally understand not leaving a hung or skybound tree behind. I was only talking about giving it a couple of hours and hoping for a gust. But ya, I definitely ran my mouth before I understood the badness this tree represented, which while not atypical, is nonetheless regretable

I totally understand not leaving a hung or skybound tree behind. I was only talking about giving it a couple of hours and hoping for a gust. But ya, I definitely ran my mouth before I understood the badness this tree represented, which while not atypical, is nonetheless regretable

Husk ......no matter what folks say fallers take pride in their work and take responsibility for it to and I've never know any of that ilk to leave a stick (unless it well marked etc as previously said) that wasn't on the ground

Hey Randy bet ya cussed a bit as well as praying etc lol

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
lucky no one was around when this folded up. some peoples kids. at least i got a bar and chain out of it.

so it here it is, if you have sensitive ears play it with mute on...

Started going the wrong way, so I figured cut backwards, then for no reason at all turned around back the way I wanted it and pinched my bar real good, so the 461 comes in to bat cleanup, enjoy[video=youtube;NQJdoJPfMzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJdoJPfMzQ[/video]

Yee haw

Yummmm, tasty, love me some raggedy assed DFs.

The internal structure may well have been altered and could be a bar tip grabbin' SOB.
Remember this is me talking here.
I'd find a big fat old style hard nose bar, with a wide kerf for this, I see a ####load of plunge cut dabbing and reaming.
I personally wouldn't sweat much over this.

That's what I was thinking but not the hard nose bar. . I wouldn't go at it with less than a 36" bar with a real sharp chain so you can keep it off the dogs. Have a spare bar and chains right there too.
I myself wouldn't overly sweat it but then I'm a S.E. snag faller. And I Know that that tree might kill me. Like Hammer said try to face + back it up perp to the split if you can.

Latest posts

Back