Danger Danger... advice sought.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're taking out more than the lightning tree you could cripple it up and drive it with another tree.

If you're taking just the one fall it the regular way but stay on your toes. Watch your chips...big color changes, punk dust, that sort of thing. Sounding the tree might not be a bad idea either.

More pictures, especially the first third of the tree from the ground, would help.

This is my first thought too, cut it the regular way . #### like that can sit on your bar just when facing it making things all of a sudden far more dicey than deisred but other times they just go over like anything else. Make sure your laces arte tied and tucked out of the way. But, I do try to have my face and hinge somewhat on the perpindicular side to the fracture if I can in somehting like that so that the tension is not running parallel to the fracture thus lessening the potential for enhancing stresses on fracture while felling- ya?. Seems to make sense in my mind.

Yummmm, tasty, love me some raggedy assed DFs.

The internal structure may well have been altered and could be a bar tip grabbin' SOB.
Remember this is me talking here.
I'd find a big fat old style hard nose bar, with a wide kerf for this, I see a ####load of plunge cut dabbing and reaming.
I personally wouldn't sweat much over this.

This is my first thought too, cut it the regular way . #### like that can sit on your bar just when facing it making things all of a sudden far more dicey than deisred but other times they just go over like anything else. Make sure your laces arte tied and tucked out of the way. But, I do try to have my face and hinge somewhat on the perpindicular side to the fracture if I can in somehting like that so that the tension is not running parallel to the fracture thus lessening the potential for enhancing stresses on fracture while felling- ya?. Seems to make sense in my mind.

Yep, if you keep the fracture in the face and the backcut (not across the hinge) you will have a better chance of it. I've had it when the fracture pops and sits right on your bar though. Always a fun time. Sometimes its just best to individually fall the real uglies like you said. The problem with driving it could be not setting it up right or things just not working out. You can easily make a ####ty situation worse that way.

Last edited:
nm, I can't comment much here, I don't know the characteristics of ya'lls wood. I have cut white oak and pine like that. struck pine here are no problem, oak another story they crack and move while ya cutting it. what the others said makes sense, I don't think i'd try ta swing it jus get it down and then think bout getting it out even if have to buck it up. maybe cut it last be easyer, more room.

nm, I can't comment much here, I don't know the characteristics of ya'lls wood. I have cut white oak and pine like that. struck pine here are no problem, oak another story they crack and move while ya cutting it. what the others said makes sense, I don't think i'd try ta swing it jus get it down and then think bout getting it out even if have to buck it up. maybe cut it last be easyer, more room.

Just read this thread, not trying to be a jerk and step on your toes, but don't cut it last. Leave some good pushers around it. It's nice to have something to hit it with if you do end up needing to nudge it over.

so it here it is, if you have sensitive ears play it with mute on...

Started going the wrong way, so I figured cut backwards, then for no reason at all turned around back the way I wanted it and pinched my bar real good, so the 461 comes in to bat cleanup, enjoy[video=youtube;NQJdoJPfMzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJdoJPfMzQ[/video]

dang man, ya almost lost that saw. that tree got to ya a little. i think if ya hit them wedges some more you woulda avoided all that. i'm not picin tho, ya got her down. good job bro.
oh, when you watch this look how close the turnin chain looks to yer leg.

hey Bob, when we gonna see some pics from you? really we could all prolly learn sumthin from you. i know your busy, but had to ask. did i read some where you have some equipment? love to see that to, if ya get time.

DAMN! I was nervous for there man! I figured you would just have to kick dirt over that saw...glad yer luck runs better than mine! LOL! I hate trees like that, you put all that effort into getting it down and it just vaporizes on impact. Good job though, that looked like it would get yer heart a thumpin'! :msp_thumbup:

I believe that tree was looking for some revenge and tried to get it from you. Sorry you didn't get a log, at least nature will enjoy the remains for a while. Ron

If I hadn't read the text I would have assumed you were just taking advantage of your ambidexterity and doing the face and backcut at the same time for efficiency. When I saw that mofo plop down right next to that 660 I almost passed out. I got nothing for you in terms of falling advice, but why the heck was that power head still on the 660 when the tree went over??! :cheers:

I will say you definitely make 27 lbs of saw and bar look a lot lighter than I do. I like how your spotter helped with what the top was doing.

I might have gasped aloud a bit when the butt took the 660 over. MIGHT have. I might also have done something similar once. I might know a thing or two about replacing brake handles on Stihls as a result. None of this can be confirmed or denied, by myself or others. Idle speculation, y'know.

ya lucked out on that .:msp_wink: not going to critique you . but the saw lived.:)

It's hard to tell from the vid but when you backed it up was your cut a little low and angled slightly upward? That will cause them to set back sometimes.

could be the angle of the cam, but it did look a little flat at the hinge . randy should be along to call you a fibrous name .:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back