Dayummm old Stihl won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old striaght gas problem....

attachment.php

Landscaper brings this MS260 in claiming it won't start. I pull the rope on it one time and know right away from the sticky feeling its fried. I say what kind of oil do you mix in the gas. He goes Stihl oil. I say okkkkkkkkkk.

ut ohhhhhhhhhh

attachment.php

I sample his oil mix and see there is no oil in it. I ask him ya use Stihl oil mix right, he goes yup. I say where's the oil. He looks and goes damit, they ruined my saw. He leaves the saw, says fix it, he has to go chew out someone,LOL

attachment.php

Landscaper brings this MS260 in claiming it won't start. I pull the rope on it one time and know right away from the sticky feeling its fried. I say what kind of oil do you mix in the gas. He goes Stihl oil. I say okkkkkkkkkk.

NASTY!!!!!!!
I have a tear in my eye looking at that!

His mix on the right, my mix on the left..

attachment.php

If they don't beleive you just do a comparison with a known correct mix verses what came out of thier tank. That usually ends any arguement..

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

So What would you say happened to this little 242XP i got for free? theres no carbon build up in the exhaust port, The piston seems to be scored through to a gold colour.
It was still running but had fairly low compression

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

So What would you say happened to this little 242XP i got for free? theres no carbon build up in the exhaust port, The piston seems to be scored through to a gold colour.
It was still running but had fairly low compression

That looks like a lean siezure. If its damaged just on the exhaust side and looking good on the intake side it was probly due to excessive rpms. Why it was over reving would have to be found out and corrected. If not it will do it again...

That looks like a lean siezure. If its damaged just on the exhaust side and looking good on the intake side it was probly due to excessive rpms. Why it was over reving would have to be found out and corrected. If not it will do it again...

I think the cylinder can be saved i have ordered a oem piston and carb kit for it but i guess i better get the bits and bobs to pressure/vac test it!

ut ohhhhhhhhhh

That sounds like what the customer says when talking to the Champ.....:) :)

Or is it "What ya mean".....when you tell the bad gas or straight gas...

He took it quite well. He said one of his guys was using it. I pity that guy,LOL

I think the cylinder can be saved i have ordered a oem piston and carb kit for it but i guess i better get the bits and bobs to pressure/vac test it!

Yup yup. No point in putting it back together without finding out what caused the problem......

FS250 Won't rev up,hmmmmmm

It will start but won't rev up he says. I start it up and the motor tells me I CAN'T BREATH boss. I take the air filter cover off and lookie here. New filter and the motor instantly goes varoooooooooooooooom, the motor says thanks boss,LOL
attachment.php

It will start but won't rev up he says. I start it up and the motor tells me I CAN'T BREATH boss. I take the air filter cover off and lookie here. New filter and the motor instantly goes varoooooooooooooooom, the motor says thanks boss,LOL
attachment.php

Before it gets to that stage it lets you know its time to clean/replace by not taking the throttle from first start!

Go on Mr Thall thow it in the washing machine, They come out like new!

Before it gets to that stage it lets you know its time to clean/replace by not taking the throttle from first start!

Go on Mr Thall thow it in the washing machine, They come out like new!

Good point, the machine indeed does let the operator know well in advance of not reving up at all that its time for a filter change.

I had a customer today buy a new MS460 and in the process he was telling me about his Husky saw problems. I'm very carefull when customers do that and listen closely. I don't bash the other brand while making a sale, especially a costly saw like the MS460. He proceeded to tell his Husky only lasted a year. I asked him where did ya buy it. He tells me off E-Bay, a refurbished LOWES Husky 455. I stopped him right there and told him where I come from we call E-Bay the Evil Bay, that you take your chances on e-bay. His wife nodded in 100% agreement. Was no need for me to listen or comment any further about his other saw after hearing that.

Point I'm making in this thread is that alot of problems people have with small power equipment is of their own doing. I hope some of things I've added to this thread along with others show some of the things to look for when problems occur and to remember to check out the basics before going ape and pulling your hair out.

I've seen things that make me wonder how the man used the machine without killing himslef in the process. I've seen saws being used with broken handles, bent bars, chains stretched beyond hope. I've had saws come in with broken sprockets yet still being used. I've had saws come in with no mufflers on them still being used. I've seen trimmers being used with plastic bags under the gas cap to keep it from leaking because the guy it too tight to buy a new cap. Course I see these when the tank won't vent and the machine won't run, then he has to buy that $5.00 cap. I've seen many milk jugs used for fuel mix cans. I've seen trimmer gear heads snapped completely off from beating it on the ground trying to make the line feed, all they needed was a new $8.00 spool to replace the one worn out. I've seen countless one gallon cans with 2.5 gallon mix in them along with countless cans of feul with no oil in them. I've seen many many fan housings on saws and trimmers alike completely pack and stopped up. I've seen sticks used for handles on the pull cords because a $3.00 handle cost too much. I've seen sheetrock screws used to hold busted handle housings together along with tons of that electric type black tape on broken break handles. As I come across other crazy stuff people do with their machines I'll add it to this thread to show what really goes on in the real world.

Good point, the machine indeed does let the operator know well in advance of not reving up at all that its time for a filter change.

I had a customer today buy a new MS460 and in the process he was telling me about his Husky saw problems. I'm very carefull when customers do that and listen closely. I don't bash the other brand while making a sale, especially a costly saw like the MS460. He proceeded to tell his Husky only lasted a year. I asked him where did ya buy it. He tells me off E-Bay, a refurbished LOWES Husky 455. I stopped him right there and told him where I come from we call E-Bay the Evil Bay, that you take your chances on e-bay. His wife nodded in 100% agreement. Was no need for me to listen or comment any further about his other saw after hearing that.

Point I'm making in this thread is that alot of problems people have with small power equipment is of their own doing. I hope some of things I've added to this thread along with others show some of the things to look for when problems occur and to remember to check out the basics before going ape and pulling your hair out.

I've seen things that make me wonder how the man used the machine without killing himslef in the process. I've seen saws being used with broken handles, bent bars, chains stretched beyond hope. I've had saws come in with broken sprockets yet still being used. I've had saws come in with no mufflers on them still being used. I've seen trimmers being used with plastic bags under the gas cap to keep it from leaking because the guy it too tight to buy a new cap. Course I see these when the tank won't vent and the machine won't run, then he has to buy that $5.00 cap. I've seen many milk jugs used for fuel mix cans. I've seen trimmer gear heads snapped completely off from beating it on the ground trying to make the line feed, all they needed was a new $8.00 spool to replace the one worn out. I've seen countless one gallon cans with 2.5 gallon mix in them along with countless cans of feul with no oil in them. I've seen many many fan housings on saws and trimmers alike completely pack and stopped up. I've seen sticks used for handles on the pull cords because a $3.00 handle cost too much. I've seen sheetrock screws used to hold busted handle housings together along with tons of that electric type black tape on broken break handles. As I come across other crazy stuff people do with their machines I'll add it to this thread to show what really goes on in the real world.

Great post. I think I'll sneak out to the shop now and change the electrical tape on my 066 handle from black to Stihl orange. :cheers:

Great post. I think I'll sneak out to the shop now and change the electrical tape on my 066 handle from black to Stihl orange. :cheers:

LOL, Bob if you only used a little bit its ok. I've seen back handles wrapped with so much black tape its like glue when you grab hold of it. There's a limit to everything, even tape,LOLOL

Latest posts

Back