Dealer installed cheap hydro fluid in new logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank7

Reaction score
Had great luck with a 8-year old 22 ton SpeedCo which I just sold so that I could buy same unit new from the same local box store. The old one developed minor BS engine issues and I just wanted to upgrade. Got a pretty good price on the new one and also for the resale. Never even knew what type fluid the old one had in it, but made the "mistake" of asking dealer today what he'd put in the new unit so I could keep some extra on hand.

Learned he's put in Tractor 303. The user manual clearly recommends AW-46. Claims he's been putting 303 in all his new splitters for the 5 years he's at the store with no problems. Spent the day reading up, so I do understand that 303 is an older cheaper fluid. A container on his shelf states: "Not recommended for use in modern equipment". Not wanting to get into a war over this with the fella, I've decided to either (1) keep running it with the 303 in it and hope for the best or (2) buy 5 gallons of AW-46, flush out the entire system and refill. The cost of a 5 gallon can is under $50. But not looking forward to the amount of work involved.

Is he essentially correct that these machines will run for a long time with the 303? Or would you suggest my getting it out and replacing with AW46 ASAP? Run it about 50 hours a year - mostly in warmer weather, and bust up some pretty hefty 100lb+ log ends along with lighter stuff. Thanks.

I'm surprised it specs AW-46 and not ATF.
I run AW-32 in hydraulic systems. It's a 10wt oil vs 15wt of AW-46. Little bit better for winter use.

He probably uses 303 because it's a bit cheaper a gallon. Around here AW32 is around $9-10/gal where 303 is around $8.

The original Speeco filter on my splitter was a HC390601 which crossed to 33 micron filters. I swapped it out to a 10 micron filter.

http://hollonoil.com/PDF/Getting to know Hydraulic Fluids.pdf

Will going to a lighter weight fluid (Tractor 303 vs. AW-46) cause damage by itself? Both have rust and anti-foam protection. What's the specific differences between them besides the weight? (inquiring minds and all that crap) Are the specific differences enough to cause problems in this application?

esshup says: "Will going to a lighter weight fluid (Tractor 303 vs. AW-46) cause damage by itself?"
-

Actually, it sounds from the article like 303 is the heavier fluid. It's an estimated 20W while AW-46 is about 15W. But I don't think the viscosity in itself is much of an issue.

Based on xjcatcher's comment, it sounds like the recommendation for AW-46 might be because it stands up to hotter operating temps better than 303 does. That's where I have a concern - wear and tear on that pump over time.

Since I rarely run this thing longer than 60-90 minutes on any given day, heat might be less of an issue under these circumstances than for some operators.

Thanks for everybody's thoughts.

Had great luck with a 8-year old 22 ton SpeedCo which I just sold so that I could buy same unit new from the same local box store. The old one developed minor BS engine issues and I just wanted to upgrade. Got a pretty good price on the new one and also for the resale. Never even knew what type fluid the old one had in it, but made the "mistake" of asking dealer today what he'd put in the new unit so I could keep some extra on hand.

Learned he's put in Tractor 303. The user manual clearly recommends AW-46. Claims he's been putting 303 in all his new splitters for the 5 years he's at the store with no problems. Spent the day reading up, so I do understand that 303 is an older cheaper fluid. A container on his shelf states: "Not recommended for use in modern equipment". Not wanting to get into a war over this with the fella, I've decided to either (1) keep running it with the 303 in it and hope for the best or (2) buy 5 gallons of AW-46, flush out the entire system and refill. The cost of a 5 gallon can is under $50. But not looking forward to the amount of work involved.

Is he essentially correct that these machines will run for a long time with the 303? Or would you suggest my getting it out and replacing with AW46 ASAP? Run it about 50 hours a year - mostly in warmer weather, and bust up some pretty hefty 100lb+ log ends along with lighter stuff. Thanks.

You'll be fine with the 303 fluid.So will your splitter.

The 303 disclaimer about not using in newer equipment is due to its use as a universal fluid in equipment like tractors where the transmission, brake, and hydraulic systems use the same fluid. Like others have said it will do just fine in a log splitter.

I'd run it for a year or so and then switch to the AW-46 (or AW-32, whatever) when you change the oil and filter to get rid of the "break in period" oil

Thanks to all again. Great insights. Am really enjoying the new splitter. At 8 years age, the old one was beginning to have mechanical issues that I'm not qualified to work on. So for a few hundred dollars difference, was able to upgrade to a brand new machine. The guy that bought the old one likes working on them, so we're both happy.

Latest posts

Back