"Dealer Support"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coloradobum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In thread after thread I see people warned not to buy a certain brand of saw if they don't have good dealer support in their area. What are you guys doing to your saws? I literally wore out my last two saws and never once had to take them to a dealer. If I did have a problem, I could find a part list online and have the part at my house within a few days. Maybe I've been lucky, but in my experience if I take care of my saws I never have a problem. What type of dealer support is everyone getting? I'm talking in the context of homeowner saws here that might cut a few cords a year, not pros that saw hours every day. I'm just curious....

I have asked the same question a few times. i dont really understand what type of problems some of these people are having. I go to the dealer witht the best deals and buy the saws that the last time i see them......

Depends on the context. If you can do without your saw at any given time for a few days/weeks, then it's not important. If it's a tool you use every day to make a living, then dealer support becomes much more important. You need to be able to drop in and get a part or get it fixed on short notice.

Then, there's the human aspect of it. A lot of people would rather talk face to face than with a machine.

spaceman how have done 15,000 posts? kenny

Depends on the context. If you can do without your saw at any given time for a few days/weeks, then it's not important. If it's a tool you use every day to make a living, then dealer support becomes much more important. You need to be able to drop in and get a part or get it fixed on short notice.

Then, there's the human aspect of it. A lot of people would rather talk face to face than with a machine.

Anybody making a living with a saw better have more than one saw.

I don't really need a local dealer, but it's nice to stop by for a gas line, or chain.

I have never had a saw fixed, or worn one out :D

My Stihl dealer support around here isn't to good, I'm not talking about 1 delaer but about all of them. If I break something or need something I have to order it from them and that sometimes isn't in a timely manner. I can call Cuttinscott in NY and have parts ordered and sent to my house and it will be there in a day, I've done it several times now. ANd all I had to do was pick up the phone. No driving to town on my lunch break to order or pick them up and then wait for their order list to get big enough to place the order on their once a week order schedule. I would not choose a brand based on dealer support... the internet has changed that.

Uh yeah, that's why I specifically said my question does not apply to pros. I can understand the human aspect but again, what are people going to dealers for? It is often repeated but I just wonder why? A chainsaw is pretty simple to work on when it comes down to it. If it's warranty issues, buy a different brand next time :)

who needs dealer support when you got this place ????
lotta smart fellers on here...

Agreed, on the off chance I can't figure it out on my own there are many readily available resources nowadays. Dealer support means selling me a saw that I won't have to bring back to the shop!

Dealer support means alot. The vast majority of people buying and using ope dont know or care to know about maintanance or repairs, The majority of people on here do their own repairs etc. You are in the 1 percent group. 99 percent of people cant get the machine started, cant keep the fuel and oil in the correct places. Dont even know how to put a new chain on. Good service techs are worth their weight in gold. The dealer gets them going. tries to explain but knows they will be back, There are lots of people who are weekend warriors who make alot more than us. That dont care if they leave old gas in it and spend 80 bucks to get it overhauled. If you do your own repairs great. You may need a dealer for parts. The other 99 percent need a good dealer to keep them going.

Dealer support means alot. The vast majority of people buying and using ope dont know or care to know about maintanance or repairs, The majority of people on here do their own repairs etc. You are in the 1 percent group. 99 percent of people cant get the machine started, cant keep the fuel and oil in the correct places. Dont even know how to put a new chain on. Good service techs are worth their weight in gold. The dealer gets them going. tries to explain but knows they will be back, There are lots of people who are weekend warriors who make alot more than us. That dont care if they leave old gas in it and spend 80 bucks to get it overhauled. If you do your own repairs great. You may need a dealer for parts. The other 99 percent need a good dealer to keep them going.

Trure, but the number is more like 25% the other 74% buy from Home depot, or some other box store, fumble away with the task at hand, then return the saw for a refund under the premise that it's broke. The only "support" they're after, is from the customer service counter.
Ain't that right Space?

If you're just cutting firewood, can do some of your own work and you can wait for parts dealer support isn't critical.

But if you're making your living with a saw it's often the only thing that keeps you going. If my saws don't work, I don't work...simple as that. I have a favorite saw shop that will get me any part I need and if it's not in stock they'll rob one off of a shelf saw. There have been times when I was coming down the hill too late to pick up parts and they'd leave the parts out for me. They do that for quite a few of the local fallers and logging outfits.

They also have a good woodstove for winter-time choir practice, fresh coffee 'til at least noon, and every so often a box of donuts shows up. That's dealer support.

If you're just cutting firewood, can do some of your own work and you can wait for parts dealer support isn't critical.

But if you're making your living with a saw it's often the only thing that keeps you going. If my saws don't work, I don't work...simple as that. I have a favorite saw shop that will get me any part I need and if it's not in stock they'll rob one off of a shelf saw. There have been times when I was coming down the hill too late to pick up parts and they'd leave the parts out for me. They do that for quite a few of the local fallers and logging outfits.

They also have a good woodstove for winter-time choir practice, fresh coffee 'til at least noon, and every so often a box of donuts shows up. That's dealer support.
total agreement gologit i have a very similar relationship with my dealer here on the east coast ,good dealer is priceless /better than any credit card :cheers:

Sounds like a retirement home for cantankerous old men. :)

Hey you! Good to see that you made parole. Did they ever clear up that deal where you had the alpaca dressed up to resemble Angelina Jolie? And you wearing that pink tutu...too much, man. And those ballet slippers....what a daring fashion statement that was.

For the average user today dealer support means alot, for I am surprised some people can even tie there own shoes today. Dealer support is about mainly a place to get parts (here in Canada the whole online shopping thing is slow to take off.........just imagine everything you order is from Florida and you live in Alaska in snow bound nowhere..........I can mail a letter to a place an hour away and it takes a week). Parts being number one, the professionals use there equipment daily and most budgets have gotten rid of the crew mechanic, and spare parts on hand at the job site/landing. Profesionals need the stuff they need now, not next week. Memebers on AS are lucky, for they have a means and recreation to learn about new things, many loggers are old school and go by the word of mouth of the old timers, epa, strato, etc...means nothing to them nor do they care to learn............hence a dealer needs to set up a saw for them and have it dialed in for there conditons. For the average user, dealer support means a place to get parts and knowledgeable service, the tech that may not know your name but knwos what saws you have, what you cut, how often you cut, why you cut, and what truck you drive. All the regualr customers always get a back up saw if theres is down for repair.

Back