Decided to Clean up or Semi Restore My Homelite XL Have a couple Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aprules2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Since I have 3 Homelite XLs I decided I would take the first one I got apart and just go through it to make it run and look its best. Its one of the earlier XL's Model # 105074 and has points and only a 2 screw carburetor. The saw ran good but didnt oil at all. I took it apart and scrubbed the inside and outside of the plastics with Simple Green. I cleaned the Fuel and Oil tanks out again with gas and then Simple Green to make sure they were really clean. I took all the nuts, bolts, washers, linkage, and put them in my ultrasonic cleaner with some Simple Green, then I washed the whole motor assembly with Simple green and got all the tree pulp and grease off of it, and filled the cylinder with Seafoam for 2 days which broke up all the carbon on the piston I could see through the exhaust port. I blew out all the oil ports and ran carburetor cleaner though them. Then I cleaned the point contacts, oiled the wick and the pivot points and put the flywheel back on, then oiled the little "flippers" on top.

But now I have a few concerns. One is the black rubber hoses bloated and got soft from the combination of Simple Green and carb Cleaner, where can I get new ones that are good quality? The Orange paint they sprayed the plastic with is starting to peel off in places what paint is a close match? Also I know there is supposed to be a duck bill valve on the oil line, but I heard there should be one on the fuel side too? My fuel tank only had one line on it and it had just a fuel filter in it. I do see a second hole on the fuel tank where should that connect to?

Second hole in tank is for a vent line with a duckbill inside tank. Many autoparts stores or the depot/lowes have small engine gas line, you just have to match the inner and outer diameters. If no stores around, ebay, tygon brand i hear is what to look for.

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Heres a few shots of my work... Im debating on polishing the aluminum... But that may be a littl20170405_191257.jpg 20170405_191300.jpg 20170405_191306.jpg 20170405_191309.jpg 20170405_191934.jpg e much..

Attachments

• 20170405_192147.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
20170405_192600.jpg

Attachments

• 20170405_192519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20170405_192531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20170405_192538.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20170405_192547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20170405_192552.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
My dad has an xl, maybe I should steal it and clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there 2 holes in the tank?

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Ok perfect... I found that sitting in the bottom of the oil tank and I have that and the pick up soaking for the last week... can't wait to see this thing actually work right....

All that's left now is finding an orange paint that matches...

If you don't mind a bit of a color miss-match, try top flite lustrekoat paint. Has proven to be fuel proof and very durable over the years, I have it on an XL2. If you don't mind mixing your own and have a spray gun, try Tremclad.

Yes, but is there a brass tube like on the oil side that the duck bill would fit on?
The "brass part" on the oil line is the oil supply adjuster it should have the line to pressurize the oil tank (top hole near cap on tank)passed through hole & the bronze part inserted into a duckbill on one end & the other end inserted in the line leaving a gap of between 1/16" & 1/8". 1/16" being the default setting increasing/ decreasing the gap alters the oiling to the bar you have to have the cap fitted tightly to the oil tank to enable it to pressurize.

Back