Deer hunting time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, its a bit off topic, but the way I see it is most enjoy our time in the woods in more ways than just cutting firewood. And everyone here knows what a bunch of tight wads we are because we wont buy propane, diesel, or natural gas to heat our homes. But thats not all we wont spend our money on, we hate buying meat also. Especially when there are tasty critters just waiting to take up space in our freezer. Much the same way firewood invades our wood sheds this time of year. And since we all love pictures so much, I think its time to show off our deer hunt success pictures. So I'll start it off with a tasty, corn fed, Minnesota buck.

I can't believe you nasty people would go out and mercilessly kill an innocent creature like that! How heartless and cruel! How would you like it if I hunted one of your kids to eat, and then posted pics of his carcass online?!?!? :dizzy::cry:

So, you take him with a bow or rifle? Do you process your own meat? You ever do jerky? My mom always makes incredible jerky. Darn good eatin! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!!

A deer is just a glorified goat. It's only as good as the pork you put with it. Have you ever noticed that most farmers don't deer hunt. That's because they fill their freezers with beef and pork. Let's say you go deer hunting. You have to pay for the hunting license,tag,fuel to deer camp,and shells for your 7mm or 300 short mag. God forbid you not be able to blow a hole the size of a basketball in him at 300 yards. Then lets say you get a really nice buck. One nice enough to mount. You have to pay for that also. Then you have to buy pork to put with your deer to make your deer/cheese/pork sticks taste like something. After all that expense you could have bought a nice corn fed beef and had some real meat. :popcorn:

Opening season for rifles is Saturday. I'm taking the 6 year old for the first time. I'm hoping to get one so I can have some of those deer/cheese/pork sticks made.

Scott

The tenderloin is a heckuva lot better than the rest of the meat. I still get out and deer hunt a little, but not like I used to. I have passed-up several small bucks this black powder season. The thought of dragging one out of the woods and all the fun that takes place afterwards keeps me a little more "selective" nowadays. But they do need to be thinned-out here. Good luck with your future hunts, too.

Good looking buck! Congrats! What did he weigh?

I've got three corn fed does already this year with a bow. No pics though, so it didn't really happen. They were 122#, 108#, and 150#. My freezer is full. I'll be leaving this friday for rifle camp in the UP. Maybe I'll get my buck up there and post some pics.

Good luck and shoot strait everyone.

One of our sons carries the hunting lantern. :) Here's a pic of his buck. Dressed out at 180 lbs. Not as big a rack as one he already has mounted but a bigger, older deer.

deer_2010.jpg

Shari

Speaking of making me hungry. I like to take about 8' of loin, slice lengthwise, (but not completely through), soak in italian dressing with garlic an onion salt for a day, then cook on the grill.:drool:

A deer is just a glorified goat. It's only as good as the pork you put with it. Have you ever noticed that most farmers don't deer hunt. That's because they fill their freezers with beef and pork. Let's say you go deer hunting. You have to pay for the hunting license,tag,fuel to deer camp,and shells for your 7mm or 300 short mag. God forbid you not be able to blow a hole the size of a basketball in him at 300 yards. Then lets say you get a really nice buck. One nice enough to mount. You have to pay for that also. Then you have to buy pork to put with your deer to make your deer/cheese/pork sticks taste like something. After all that expense you could have bought a nice corn fed beef and had some real meat. :popcorn:
:clap: BINGO,cause we all know raising pigs and cows dont cost nuttin...

Here is the buck my Daughter got

Funny how once your kids start hunting it no longer matters what you shoot just as long as you can get your kids a good shot at one:)

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to hunt, but we get those oversize rodents in the yard all the time so I can take a shot off the deck if I need to. It's a whole lot cheaper than raising pigs or beef, even buying a new deer gun and ammo. I have an old Ruger 77 in .243, that's all you need with the tiny deer around here.

Recipe please, or it never happened :clap::clap::clap:

15 lbs of deer ground through a coarse plate with a ratio of 1 handfull of good clean deermeat and 1 or 2 1 inch cubes of beef fat. Mix in a pack of Hi-mountain seasoning from bass pro along with cure and add required ammount of soy protein concentrate ( the soy protein is not in the mix you can get it from LEM it makes the sausage alot moister) mix the meat and all ingredients well oh yeah had to add 12 oz of icewater. Mix well and mix some more and mix. Put 2 inch stuffing tube on grinder allow casings to soak the proper time (I prefer the collagen casings from LEM that are 2 1/2" Dia) Then regrind through a medium plate and into the casings. Let them sit for 12 to 24 hours and then I put them in the oven after they get up to room temp. 1 hour as low as the oven will go and then 195 degrees until the internal meat temp comes up to 160 degrees. Figure around 8-10 hours cook time checking temp every half hour or so.

This is the first time I made it as above and it is by far the moistest and best textured sausage I have found that isn't half pork. It does have a little beef fat in it but that is free at the butchershop. We actually put the beef fat in all that we grind for everything.

The stuffing tube I mentioned is part of a bagging system we bought from LEM. If you don't have one yet and you process your own deer it will be the best $25 you ever spent. We can grind 50 lb and have it in bags ready to go in the freezer in consistent 1 or 2 pound portions in no time flat. I used to spend 2 or 3 hours wrapping it but not anymore it is packed while I grind now!

We usually process around 5 a year for our use. So anytime I can save on processing means more time in the woods!!

If you are paying someone to process your deer that is probably why it has the bad taste! The deer needs to be skinned out while warm and cut up as soon as it cools out. When you do it your self you can bone it out as well as remove all the sinew and tendons which eliminates the bad taste from these parts. These are all things that contribute to the general I don't like deer that you hear all the time! In the butchers defense they could not make any money boning one out all the way and removing all the fat, sinew, tendons etc

Last edited:
Thanks Sawkiller, I will give that a try this year.

Agree that processing your own deer usually eliminates the "gamey" taste sometimes associated with venison. If you want to make some killer burgers, grind 6lb venison with 1 pk (1.5lb) of Applewood smoked bacon from wally-world. Cook 3 minutes a side. :blob4::rock::clap::cheers::blob2::blob2:

Deer hunting...sitting around deer camp telling lies and pokin fun at each other...taking the kids out and teaching them conservation...building self esteem and confidense in them...yes to hear that snap of a deer breaking a limb or leaves russle as it sneaks in behind you..or those dang squirrels.

Deer hunting...scouting..patterning them...looking for scarpes and rubs and bedding areas or food areas...yes deer hunting...there he is...bang!
Following the blood trail,gutting and taking proper care of the meat..oh yes deer hunting...fulfilling our carnal instincts to be a predator!

Jerry says that after 25 years of deer hunting his wife will not let him go this year.All of the boys from past hunts can not believe it.
Well the day arrives when all of the gang shows up at deer camp and there sits Jerry.He's got his tent pitched with a nice stack of wood next to the campfire and he's even got dinner cooking on it.
All of the boys wanted to know what happened as they did not expect to see him with his wife's disapproval and all.
Well Jerry explains how he was sitting there watching tv the other night...
Jerry's wife saunters into to where Jerry was watching some hunting shows.She has got on a sexy nighty ...she takes him by the hand and leads him to the bedroom.She pulls out a pair of handcuffs. Then she says to Jerry...handcuff me to the bed and do whatever you like...Jerry goes on to say I did handcuff her to that bed and here I am....

Last edited:
MY wife and I hope to get out and do some hunting but there is barely any sign of deer activity on our property at all. Only a few very small tracks, no rubs or scapes like there used to be. Just sitting in the woods watching the owls,hawks and pileated woodpecker is better than TV or work, even if a deer is not taken.

I will have to use the golf cart or lawn tractor to get me to the blind since my walking ability is now severely limited while carrying any weight such as a gun or thermos of coffee.

I doubt we will see anything on our property like the buck last year that cost us nothing but a few pounds of pork for burger. It was hit by a car in front of us as we were driving to cabin with our hunting gear and person did not want the deer. We had everything with us to clean it and we enjoyed the 125# of meat from the monster 12 point. Only damage was shattered front legs. The car was drivable and nobody was injured. They tried to avoid the deer and ended up head on to traffic on a freeway in front of me.

Latest posts

Back