Deer Repellent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

That's our problem too. Their getting the velvet off the antlers and leaving a scent in the process. They have killed three of my trees planted a while back.

they also practice fighting. We have been putting fencing around every tree we plant and a water bag for 3 years. If clients want to get rid of them then for appearance then they suffer the consequences.

they also practice fighting. We have been putting fencing around every tree we plant and a water bag for 3 years. If clients want to get rid of them then for appearance then they suffer the consequences.
What does the water bag do? Just curious. I may try it. I put a six foot fence up around the yard and it stopped a lot of it. I still see tracks every now and then. But they already killed two pink dogwoods and a bradford pear that was nurtured for three years. They even uprooted one of the dogwoods.

The water bags make it a lot easier for me and customers to tell how much water to put on a new tree and easier to do it and gives slow penetrating soaking water unlike a sprinkler or hose. Good make is Gator Bags.

Interesting, but my 300 winchester, is very effective:hmm3grin2orange:

On the orchard, we used those little bars of hotel soap. We'd leave the wrapper on and put a wire hanger through it, and hang one on each tree. That would last about a year.

Wish I wouldn't have let my applicators licenses expire.:mad:

On the orchard, we used those little bars of hotel soap. We'd leave the wrapper on and put a wire hanger through it, and hang one on each tree. That would last about a year.

LOL, yeah my 7 mag would be too, But i never see them do it. Also too many houses around to shoot a rifle.

A nurseryman friend I used to know would kill a deer and let the carcass rot in the nursery and he said that worked. Not too good for residential neighborhoods tho.:fart:

Actually, a wooden box mounted on a fence post, with 4 pairs of holes resembling eyes, with a solar light inside should keep them out. Nothing likes to be watched. ( Well ok, some claim to want to be watched. )

Soap applicators? :monkey:

Was it revoked for 'being applied too fast?'

Thiram based. Probably a good thing, but not labeled for what I'm needing.

Miller Hot sauce and Nufilm P spreader/sticker is the bomb in spring/summer if you keep up with applications and don't mind the cost.

Thanks for posting this though, if I can talk the neighbor into using it in the fall, maybe the deer will detour through my freezer.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Is Thiram also effective as a rabbit repellent? We see as much damage from rabbits here as the deer, though deer can annihilate a landscape much faster. I've been using Liquid Fence lately which seems to work (it is listed as a deer AND rabbit repellent), but it does need to be applied monthly, which is a drawback especially during the Winter months, and we have 6-7 months of Winter here in Western NY. Hunting regulations in NY are too strict to allow blowing them away with a Winchester at any time throughout the year, though I've heard rumors that farmers are allowed to blow them away off-season if they catch deer eating crops, wondering if the same rule applies to homeowners...

Is Thiram also effective as a rabbit repellent? We see as much damage from rabbits here as the deer, though deer can annihilate a landscape much faster. I've been using Liquid Fence lately which seems to work (it is listed as a deer AND rabbit repellent), but it does need to be applied monthly, which is a drawback especially during the Winter months, and we have 6-7 months of Winter here in Western NY. Hunting regulations in NY are too strict to allow blowing them away with a Winchester at any time throughout the year, though I've heard rumors that farmers are allowed to blow them away off-season if they catch deer eating crops, wondering if the same rule applies to homeowners...

Thiram is an effective rabbit repellent. Try using DeerPro for rabbits. You can apply it once in the fall and it will protect the trees and shrubs all the way to spring.

Latest posts

Back