Determining board feet in a standing tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawyer40

sawyer40

ArboristSite Member
Get yourself a biltmore tree scale stick. You can find them at Baileys-online.com
As for scaling a 100' tree don't buy it that way there is a point that even the forester will stop. I bought state timber where some of the white pine that was 30" DBH was only scaled for the first 50'. I did get 80-90' of log out of some. But if you pay for every last foot you will loose. Take in to account wind shake, insects,bad knots bad butts and loss from felling. Not to mention cost of harvesting . Most mature oaks around here depending on dia. are measured by 16' logs most have one some have a log and a half some two logs and a rare ocasion3 logs but that is rare. the biltmore stick I have measures tree volume buy 16' logs

Whistler

Whistler

ArboristSite Operative
Acer , you did it ! It was just what I was looking for ! Great Site too . I don't have time to check it out now as Winter League Sporting Clays is calling but will upon my return . (29 degrees and snowing rather well) Thank you very much !

Whistler

Whistler

ArboristSite Operative
sawyer 40 , found info on the biltmore stick last nite but can tell '' an educated eye " may be required . I do know that 16' logs fit into the equation but our local market is seekings logs for log building in lengths of 18'- 24' in 2' increments . Thanks for the help tho and I will check out Baileys . Curiosity has the best of me now. Much appreciated . Thanks for the help .

Latest posts