Dewalt 14 inch cordless trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got the popular folding trimmer 20v from Dewalt cause I am in the Dewalt ecosystem. It works pretty good for trimming but for small brush and
tough weeds like knapweed I need to use a table saw blade.Is anyone selling a kit to mount a table saw blade on it ,centered??
I will use a table saw blade backwards for thin brush and in regular orientation for sagebrush..What do you know??thanks

I got the popular folding trimmer 20v from Dewalt cause I am in the Dewalt ecosystem. It works pretty good for trimming but for small brush and
tough weeds like knapweed I need to use a table saw blade.Is anyone selling a kit to mount a table saw blade on it ,centered??
I will use a table saw blade backwards for thin brush and in regular orientation for sagebrush..What do you know??thanks
A table saw blade? No. The blade needs to be smaller because it is more heavy than a line head. My Stihl FS 131 can cut 16.5'' with a line head, but with the MANDATORY saw blade limit stop, it can only run a blade a little under 8''. Get this blade instead: https://forestershop.com/forester-chisel-tooth-brush-cutter-blade.html. Unlike their bars and chains, Forester brush cutter blades are pretty good.

For goodness sakes, don't consider putting a sawblade on a trimmer. They dull quickly, and the driveline isn't rated for the torque required to operate a saw cutting slowly through wood. Don't even consider the chainsaw-toothed circular blades, either. Torque problems, and they dull insanely fast.

It just won't work. I'd rather just use an axe, since I know it will survive hitting a few rocks, bottles, and cans. It won't get pinched in every cut, either.

Use something that fits your machine that looks something like this:

1688690964332.png 1688690991262.png 1688691035460.png

Just swing them like a gas-powered hatchet against what you want to cut down. I've cut down many 6" trees with the 9-tooth blade above, although I'd have to hack at it for about 20 blows. And that using a commercial heavy duty string trimmer. The 4-tooth design works best in woody underbrush, and the 3 toother is best for tall thick weeds.

It tends to bend the teeth on all of them when you hit rocks, but you still don't need to sharpen them. You can just hammer them down flat using a curb as an anvil, and keep on cutting!

The above mentioned Forestershop has some nice looking offerings in 7 and 8 inch. What size is best for the 922? They have an 8 inch chisel/non chain/
that looks good for 19$. I don't like the tri blade style...not for what I need..
so 7 or 8...?

If you aren't cutting that much brush, consider this old tool:

1688691735254.png

Need no gas, doesn't require winterization, and the batteries never go dead. A good one will last 50 years. This will hack through significant amounts of underbrush with fairly low effort, and might be the safest tool to use near a chain link fence.

All day long? You will feel totally beat, as they are pretty heavy.

The above mentioned Forestershop has some nice looking offerings in 7 and 8 inch. What size is best for the 922? They have an 8 inch chisel/non chain/
that looks good for 19$. I don't like the tri blade style...not for what I need..
so 7 or 8...?

I'm not at all familiar with a "922", but if that is a battery powered tool, the driveline is probably not strong enough to last long under the shock loads of a steel blade. I'd be very surprised to discover that the manufacturer didn't engineer it in some proprietary way to prevent you from attaching a steel blade.

That being said, I've always attached as big a diameter as I can fit to the machine. It takes a weaker machine to get back up to speed, having chopped nicely chopped off a 1" sapling, but the larger diameter blade stores a LOT more momentum than a smaller diameter blade, and is otherwise more capable of hacking through small woody vegetation. A commercial string trimmer with one of the steel blades pictured above will take out a 1" oak sapling with a quick PING, using only a modest swing to whack it down.

If you pursue the "sawing the brush" down concept (contrary to my recommendation), then a smaller diameter will work better, as Mr.Metsä suggested. The battery powered trimmer will not need as much torque for a smaller diameter blade.

Recent thought! Try out some of the 5" or 4" saw blades for the battery powered skilsaws. They might be adaptable, and would reduce the torque needed to cut wood.

The 20mm arbor is correct for most commercial trimmers. You will still need the correct clamping washers to hold the blade, as simple washers won't keep it centered properly. One clamping washer will have a cupped shape to apply a large diameter squeeze onto the blade, the other will have a raised center the exact match for the hole in your steel blade, so as to keep it centered.

Sometimes that raised center on the washer is taller than your blade thickness. Then you have a fully centered blade that free-wheels on the not-quite-clamping washers. A 1" inside diameter flat washer can usually fix that, but the hold-down bolt might end up too short to hold it without stripping during use.

The manufacturers in general will do whatever they can to prevent you from mounting a steel blade. The steel discs reduce the lifetime of the machine, adding to warranty claims, and they increase product liability. Mounting steel blades can be very tricky to accomplish.

I did some research. The trim head on your 922 trimmer looks like it is attached with a pretty common 7mm left-hand threaded bolt. Unfortunately, the support washer beneath is not engineered to allow blade attachment for a 20mm hole on a blade. Or any blade, for that matter, unless it had a 7mm centering hole. Perhaps 8mm.

Without a holding washer with a centering hole, your plan won't work.

Now I don't doubt that if you visited a lot of small engine shops with a really positive outlook on helping you might find something that would work well with a different branded pair of clamping washers. Echo, Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa, John Deer, Maruyama, etc. Unfortunately, I've never seen a clamping washer with an oblong hole like that, so you shouldn't probably count of finding anything like that. After all, I have been using steel blades on trimmers for over 40 years, and I haven't ever seen one like that.

You might try calling DeWalt, but I'd bet their answer is a very firm no, along with warnings about voiding your warranty.

good info ,thanks. I decided to skip any ideas of cutting 2-3 inch woody stuff..I should have bought a commercial grade gas trimmer 10 years ago.
I tried the 922 today on some tough softer brush and it did cut it but with
some delay. Is there a blade of any design that would work with my 922
for these slightly tougher soft brush species???? I appreciate the info any one has on their experience with the 922. Its one of the most bought cordless units today because so many people have the Dewalt ecosystem already.

If I were as fond of battery operated machines as you are, I'd consider the Dewalt chainsaw. It probably uses the same battery, and I've been told it's a monster, at least by comparison to other battery operated chainsaws.

You really ought to consider that most people are using chainsaws because they work very well. Now if I had several acres of underbrush, I'd try to hire someone with a heavy duty brush hog mower. They can clear out a lot of ground in pretty short order; then you can take out the larger trees with chainsaw.

When it comes to clearing ground, bigger machines are better, at pretty much every level.

If you have lots of area to cut, have you considered the Pole Hedge trimmer from Dewalt, you can articulate the head to where it is level and cut grass easily and some small brush as if you were trimming hedges and it has a 22 inch bar and overall 12 ft reach.

one more thing..what is the best replacement string for these ,the tough stuff
...??

one more thing..what is the best replacement string for these ,the tough stuff
...??

It kind of depends upon what you are trimming and how you use the machine.

The harder, stronger string tends to stand up better to abrasive wear and long duration weed whacking. It also tends to break off at the feed-holes in the trimmer head, as they get cycled thousands of times per minute at that flex point. Whacking hard against the tall weeds bends the string a lot, and it breaks off, making you disassemble and re-feed.

Softer trimmer line wears out quicker, but tolerates the bending a lot better. Not so good when you are edging a lot of concrete sidewalk, 'cause it just doesn't last as long under high abrasion. Furthermore, the softer line tends to melt inside the trimmer head in the commercial trimmers, purely because it has too much horsepower going through a tiny contact point. Then it quits feeding, and you must disassemble and pull the line out.

Buy what you like, try many variations, keep notes on what works best and where. The little .080 string recommended for your battery powered trimmer would just fly apart if it was attached to my commercial trimmers. You little machine would be bogged down and ineffective with my .105 commercial trimmer line.

The heavier line whacks weeds MUCH more effectively than the thin line. Sometimes we load up .155 trimmer line, but that is only for the seriously overgrown weed patches. Conversely, that heavier line will beat the crap out of your landscape plants, the bark of trees, the landscape timbers, and your wooden post holding the mailbox. I recommend sticking to the .080 thickness trimmer line for most stuff.

I ordered the .095 from Dewalt. It seems about right. The 922 is quite an effective trimmer. I am pleased with it and I am very cynical.

I don't have a DeWalt trimmer, but have a Kobalt 80v. I run Husqvarna .095 square line in it. Feeds fine, good for getting greenery out of my cracks in pavement, chews through blackberries surprisingly well, and of course works fine for everything else. It's not a brush blade by any means, but I'm happy with it. I don't think the trimmer or the head are "rated" for this line, but ~7 years now and several hundred feet of line later, everything is running fine.

Same trimmer isn't "rated" for a hedge trimmer or rototiller attachment either, but has handled both just fine.

Latest posts

Back