Looking for a new brush cutter. Stihl, Husky, Echo, Honda, or ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up. I've got a few acres at the new place that I'm looking to trim up. Not so much weedy, as brushy. Vines, saplings, brairs, etc. More "wood" cutting, than "leaf" cutting. Looking for a solid brush trimmer. Dad has a Stihl that always worked well, so that's where I went to look. It seems the FS 250 gets universal love and praise, so of course it's been discontinued. I'm finding mixed results on the 4Mix models (four stroke, but premixed fuel) which have replaced it. If anyone knows where I can still snag a NEW FS250 w/ bicycle grip, let me know.

So...I'm looking at other offerings a well. Echo seems to be popular among the commercial guys. I read that Husky is quality, though I don't know anyone who has had one. I've seen a few posts here that the Hondas are good, too.

Suggestions on a durable, powerful, light (ish) weight alternative to the Stihl FS 250?

I want something that can handle a saw-blade and cut up to 2" sapling. That's why I'm looking at a heavier unit with a bike handle, vs loop style handle and plastic line. Larger than that, and I'll use the chainsaw. Brush cutting is my primary purchase consideration, with weed-eating as a secondary function.

In not much of a fan with the newer Husqvarna and Stihl trimmers. Stihls new M-tronic clearing saws are a different story. Have you looked into the Mauryama brand trimmers, they are a well made product in japan. I am always looking for older Shindaiwa trimmers like the t270, a very nice model that they no longer make. I think shindaiwa still makes a unit comparable to the FS250. Good luck

New units are obviously easier to find, but I'd be open to used unit suggestions as well. There will come a point where I'll just need to have one, whether new or used.

A traditional FS250 sounds like it would serve you well. Bike handle grips are essential for clearing work over long periods. A harness as well, but most important is correct rated protective gear. When running blades and stuff at 10k rpm blindness is a miliesecond away. Sometimes the rocks can shoot up faster than you will blink. Great tools so long as you respect them and uderstand how to use them. Faceshield earmuff hardhat combo with safety glasses underneath works pretty well, leather gloves, and study pants/chaps sometimes dust mask too.

I have experience, 25+ years ago, of running my dad's brush saw to clear several acres. I used a Husq saw with harness and bicycle handle. While I was a bit short for the harness to work ideally (I had to "lift" the saw a lot), it was definitely MUCH better than simply holding the saw. The bike handles are also much easier to use when using the saw to cut through wood, or when the saw would take a wild swing from some sort of blade entanglement.

In the years since, I've spent thousands of dollars in laser surgery on my eyes. As such, I'm VERY protective of my eyes. That certainly won't be an issue. ;)

I just bought 2 Husky 345FR's. I am very pleased with the power and productivity so far. Cuts 1-2" stuff like it's not even there. It will cut up to 6' with a little effort. I caught one of my guys cutting an 8" tree last week, that is a little much but it did it.
Beats using a chainsaw on the smaller stuff when it is thick. Time will tell if they hold up. I gave a shade over $1700 for the pair. It was hard for me to buy an "off" brand, but the comparable sized Stihl was about $300 higher each.

I just bought 2 Husky 345FR's. I am very pleased with the power and productivity so far. Cuts 1-2" stuff like it's not even there. It will cut up to 6' with a little effort. I caught one of my guys cutting an 8" tree last week, that is a little much but it did it.
Beats using a chainsaw on the smaller stuff when it is thick. Time will tell if they hold up. I gave a shade over $1700 for the pair. It was hard for me to buy an "off" brand, but the comparable sized Stihl was about $300 higher each.

The 345fr is the model I am looking at but I haven't been able to find out what guards it comes with. Would you mind telling me what guards your 345FRs came with?

Thats where the value comes in for me. It come with a medium to smallish plastic guard for the string head and tri blade, and a small metal one for the saw blade.
It also come with the second best harness system. BTW the string head, tri blade and saw blade and attaching hardware come with it. Time will tell on the longevity but they seem to be very well made. Be advised it is heavier and has a larger shaft than the stihl 130/240 do. I wouldn't want to use it all day on light stuff. It will use the same blades as the stihl which helps me keep inventory down.

Ok, the fact that is a ready to go package is very appealing. I might sub a 300mm Airecut for the tri point brush knife, though. Other than that, I can't see much worth changing over stock. I have a couple of acres that I want to tame, so heavy duty is wanted. No plans for commercial, just personal use.

A local Stihl dealer told me that the FS240 doesn't come with the blade kit. Big turn off! Besides, I am concered that 37 cc engine wouldn't do all that I wanted.

Shredder blades, an other good reason to get a 345fr. The only shredder blades I know of are being sold on Ebay but the guys here wonder about the quality. Supposedly the ones on ebay are made by Oregon. Don't know that I could prove that though. If I get a 345, I may order some and do a review. Btw, This seller has several different sizes of arbor holes.

http://stores.ebay.com/SLEequipment...es&submit=Search&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sid=81216361

I, too, have wondered why shredder blades aren't available in the US. But I son't have an answer for you.

Check into maruyama if you have a dealer close by. Nicely built units.

Get an FS240 and be happy. Don't overthink it. If you want to save a few bucks on initial purchase price and fuel over the long run for a tiny drop off in power, get a 130.

A Husky 336FR would be my second choice. A 345 is way overkill for that job.

In my line of work in Ecological Restoration, we also use Stihl 250's and the 240 R's. We do a lot of brush cutting of 0.5 - 2 inch diameter shrubs and trees. I was also looking at some other options, I like the power of the weight to power ratio of the 240 and 250 but was thinking about getting some of the 360's. But we like to keep it uniform at my company with the same parts, and same tools. So going to a 360 might cause a headache in the spare parts kits. With the lack of research I have done, I did not check to see if the parts are the same or different (pricing, size, etc.). I also wonder if it might be "over kill" and if I should just stick with the 240R.

Look for a used Shindaiwa C350 Or B45. Or even an older C35.
I've found them used for as little as $125 and they are well built commercial machines. Plenty capable of handling the kind of work you describe.
I've cut lots of brush and saplings with mine over the years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456709639.787085.jpg

The one I use is a Jonsered and it's 50cc, has ok power, bigger would be better. Has a blade with chainsaw teeth.

Back