Did I make a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonizer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We, (Michelle and I), were down at our beach yesterday and brought two saws with us as usual. She is getting used to her little toy, (MS180C), but was cutting and lost footing on a slippery rock. When she fell she kicked the chain brake on, (love those things) and was just scared. I now look back and think maybe I made a mistake buying her a saw. I intended her to have it in her 4x4 so if she went up the mountain with her girlfriends and a tree came down in the wind she could get back. I am probably being paranoid but if she ever cut herself I would feel responsible. I am thinking of taking it away from her and just giving her a bow-saw for her truck. She still loves the saw and wants to keep it in her truck. Suggestions?

We, (Michelle and I), were down at our beach yesterday and brought two saws with us as usual. She is getting used to her little toy, (MS180C), but was cutting and lost footing on a slippery rock. When she fell she kicked the chain brake on, (love those things) and was just scared. I now look back and think maybe I made a mistake buying her a saw. I intended her to have it in her 4x4 so if she went up the mountain with her girlfriends and a tree came down in the wind she could get back. I am probably being paranoid but if she ever cut herself I would feel responsible. I am thinking of taking it away from her and just giving her a bow-saw for her truck. She still loves the saw and wants to keep it in her truck. Suggestions?

She's a grown woman--it should be her decision, not yours.

Throw her back in the deep end.

Heck, I scare myself all the time and and nobody wants to try to take my toys away. :greenchainsaw:

It will be a mistake if:

1) You treat this like a big deal...therefore telling her by your actions shes like a child.
2) You bought the "little" saw for the "little" woman attitude..then she will resent you quietly for..again treating her like a child or some lesser human.
3) You bought the saw for her because you thought it would be cool for her to have a saw...and jammed your priorities down her throat...
4) She bought the saw because it was a way for her to do something with you..a sacrifice of her interestes for yours..and now its not only a sacrific but a way to make herself miserable as well.

It is just life if:

1) She bought the saw or asked you to buy a saw because it was something she decided she wanted or needed for one of her goals and objectives. (My wife buying a saw for trimming trees and brush around 10 miles of horse fence line and maintaining trails SHE uses..)
2) Along with issue one, this shows that she can survive a tough situation and move on..learning from it as she builds both skill and confidence. (my bride deciding she's tired of waiting for me and felling locust trees for fence post...and having a few interesting moments as we all do! Adventure for her in her mind and proud to tell about it)
3) You treat her like an adult AND your partner while issue 1 and 2 are taking place.

Last edited:
Good Post, Dr Phil

It will be a mistake if:

1) You treat this like a big deal...therefore telling her by your actions shes like a child.
2) You bought the "little" saw for the "little" woman attitude..then she will resent you quietly for..again treating her like a child or some lesser human.
3) You bought the saw for her because you thought it would be cool for her to have a saw...and jammed your priorities down her throat...
4) She bought the saw because it was a way for her to do something with you..a sacrifice of her interestes for yours..and now its not only a sacrific but a way to make herself miserable as well.

It is just life if:

1) She bought the saw or asked you to buy a saw because it was something she decided she wanted or needed for one of her goals and objectives. (My wife buying a saw for trimming trees and brush around 10 miles of horse fence line and maintaining trails SHE uses..)
2) Along with issue one, this shows that she can survive a tough situation and move on..learning from it as she builds both skill and confidence. (my bride deciding she's tired of waiting for me and felling locust trees for fence post...and having a few interesting moments as we all do! Adventure for her in her mind and proud to tell about it)
3) You treat her like an adult AND your partner while issue 1 and 2 are taking place.

Good Post, Dr Phil...but really, good post.

......I taught my GF how to handle a handgun!:greenchainsaw:

Mine came pre-taught. Met her at the shooting range:)

I worry about her safety (nut jobs shooting people at random) and now that she is my wife and we have children I worry about all of them. she carries and I know she can protect herself and our family.
Can't beat a strong and independent woman, the kind you can stand back to back with and take on the world. :cheers:

Yip

Throw her back in the deep end.

Heck, I scare myself all the time and and nobody wants to try to take my toys away. :greenchainsaw:

+1 here. Come and try and see what happens, lmao...

hehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

Nothin' like a few brews to take the edge off of cuttin' logs eh? :jester:

You are thinking crazy man. She did the right thing when she fell; she locked the brake up. She thought on the spur of the moment and did the right thing. You know how uncommon that is???? (me, beating you over the head with a 2x4). She should be REWARDED! You know how many women will not even go near a chainsaw? Man, buy your girlfriend dinner and a spare loop. If she can start the saw, buy her a case for the saw to keep in her truck. As for her 4-Wheeling... you do not know how lucky you are.

I tells yah... don't be a bonehead!

What I'm wondering is, was she wearing PPE? Chaps/chainsaw pants specifically. It sounds like she did as she should (other than standing on the wet rock to begin with). I'd say as long as she learned from this and isn't scarred too much she should keep the saw if she wants to. My fiance is kinda interested in running a saw, and I'd love to have her be able to help me in the woods.

You just need to train her a bit more - standing on a wet rock when running a saw is a big mistake!:jawdrop:
I don't think its a problem as long as the chainbrake is on. This thread goes fairly parallel with the long chainbrake thread that was discussed a short time ago. If a person was to shutdown their saw everytime they don't secure footing, it would make for a long unproductive day in the woods.

Latest posts

Back