Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,
Ditto on what Shari wrote. I too recently bought one of these splitters, though mine has a newer motor on it. However after mine had sat for a number of years and the ram and also the check valve were leaking badly. I could split wood but it was leaking out the ram shaft. I took mine apart, Dismantled the check valve and remover the O-Rings and brought the O-rings from the check valve and the ram to a local hydraulic repair shop. They rebuilt my ram in front of me! The seals and rings basically disintegrated in front of my eyes when they disassembled the Ram. I got a ram rebuild , two O-Rings and a length of new hose for $82.50
Mark

Thanks for that info. Ive made a few phone calls, but so far havent found anyone who will touch it. I am more than capable of dismantling the ram, but I'd rather have a shop do it so I know it's right. $100 is nothing to have a fully working splitter for under $200

I can fix just about anything. But I didn't have the proper tool to get the ram end cap to turn so I could get the spline out.
When I brought it to the shop and watched the tech rebuild the thing I was happy I'd brought it to them. He measured the gaps and came back with the proper size seals and rings in a minute. The old seals and rings basically just disintegrated once the ram was open.
Go to the highway department or a farm and ask them where they get their hydraulic equipment repaired.

I just had my carb rebuilt and it runs good now. Would a bigger motor give some more grunt than my 5 horse B&S. Motor still has some life left in it.

Does anyone here have a copy of the repair manual and IPL, I could sure use one as I think I will be needing one soon. Thanks.

Splitters

Hi

ive had a didier panther splitter that i purchased brand new in the early 70's.
Ive split over 100 cords of wood easily. This splitter has never faultered, itys been a great machine .the seal on the cylinder has finally gone and i saw on this sight that someone had rebuilt the cylinder for around 70.00 dollars
with a new seal kit.
Does anyone know where to get this seal kit,

barmason

I am not aware of any 'kit' to repair these cylinders as the Didier is no longer manufactured. Best bet is take your cylinder to a hydraulic repair shop or a farm implement dealer and see if they have parts. By the way, it's not expensive to have them do the work.

Shari

Hi

ive had a didier panther splitter that i purchased brand new in the early 70's.
Ive split over 100 cords of wood easily. This splitter has never faultered, itys been a great machine .the seal on the cylinder has finally gone and i saw on this sight that someone had rebuilt the cylinder for around 70.00 dollars
with a new seal kit.
Does anyone know where to get this seal kit,

barmason

I am not aware of any 'kit' to repair these cylinders as the Didier is no longer manufactured. Best bet is take your cylinder to a hydraulic repair shop or a farm implement dealer and see if they have parts. By the way, it's not expensive to have them do the work.

Shari

Like Shari says take the cylinder to a repair shop. More or less the cylinders are all similar inside and they were put on more than just splitters. ;)

Is it worth my time and money

OK, not to upset the garden cart or rub anyone the wrong way....But, I have a chance to purchase a Didier splitter for what sounds like a very good price...$400.....runs good, ram moves without issues...nothing seems to be leaking....My question is....Is it worth it...? I have minimal knowledge in this area but am gaining rapidly...any help would be appreciated...thanks....Paul:hmm3grin2orange:

OK, not to upset the garden cart or rub anyone the wrong way....But, I have a chance to purchase a Didier splitter for what sounds like a very good price...$400.....runs good, ram moves without issues...nothing seems to be leaking....My question is....Is it worth it...? I have minimal knowledge in this area but am gaining rapidly...any help would be appreciated...thanks....Paul:hmm3grin2orange:

Well........... good question. I bought ours around 8-9 years ago with a bad engine (knew that at the time) - paid either $175 - $250 for it (can't remember for sure - I'm getting old! :) ) and added a $200ish BS engine. At the time, new splitters were running around $1,000. The ram leaked after a few years - had that rebuilt for around $75. Right now I'm splitting around 3-4 cord per year as we are now heating with wood. Previously we split only around 1 cord per year so we hadn't used it a lot but now that has changed.

Ram speed I think is rated around 16 seconds which sounds a little slow compared to today's splitters. If you look at the 'lift job' Triptester did on mine along with the log lift he fabbed up I love the splitter in its current configuration and would have a real hard time going back to original.

I guess what I'm saying is you would be buying probably a 1970-1980's splitter for slightly less than 1/2 of a new one. Compare the features of the new models, including the height of the machine, and make your choice.

Here's the specs - I think my original spec image went missing from Photobucket:

chart.jpg

Shari

Well........... good question. I bought ours around 8-9 years ago with a bad engine (knew that at the time) - paid either $175 - $250 for it (can't remember for sure - I'm getting old! :) ) and added a $200ish BS engine. At the time, new splitters were running around $1,000. The ram leaked after a few years - had that rebuilt for around $75. Right now I'm splitting around 3-4 cord per year as we are now heating with wood. Previously we split only around 1 cord per year so we hadn't used it a lot but now that has changed.

Ram speed I think is rated around 16 seconds which sounds a little slow compared to today's splitters. If you look at the 'lift job' Triptester did on mine along with the log lift he fabbed up I love the splitter in its current configuration and would have a real hard time going back to original.

I guess what I'm saying is you would be buying probably a 1970-1980's splitter for slightly less than 1/2 of a new one. Compare the features of the new models, including the height of the machine, and make your choice.

Here's the specs - I think my original spec image went missing from Photobucket:

chart.jpg

Shari
You mentioned ram spped to be about 16 seconds...is that one way or a complete cycle.....(split and return...) Thanks for the input....Paul :blob2:

You mentioned ram spped to be about 16 seconds...is that one way or a complete cycle.....(split and return...) Thanks for the input....Paul :blob2:

Paul,

Most probably one way. Mine might be a tad faster because we have updated the engine.

Another whole topic that has been discussed throughout AS is the location of the wedge: Our wedge is on the end of the rail. If/when a split pops while being split on our Didier, it pops up & away from the operator. A lot of the newer splitters have the wedge on the ram, a few have the wedge on the rail. To each his own I would say.

Shari

Didier splitter

Many THANKS :clap:go out to Shari for emailing me a copy of the original owners manual and sale brochure! That sure helped me figure this splitter out.

I only have about 1/4" of the pin still stuck in the channel to remove. I already found a place that can sell me all the seals I need to rebuild the cylinder.

TOM:cheers:

Hey Specter,
I just registered with this site looking for info on Didier splitters. Do you think you could forword that info Shari sent you to me at [email protected]. That would be a huge help for me.
Thank you,
Tom

log splitter

Hello,
I am going to look at an old Didier splitter in a few days. It is a bit of a Frankenstein of a splitter. It has "Didier 20" on the cylinder. I am not familiar with this brand. From what I gather, they went out of business some time ago. It has a brand new 6 1/2 HP engine on it. Would this be a 20 ton splitter? They are asking 500$ CDN. Anyone have any knowledge of this company? Thanks.

Hi Ben here if you buy it ,they dont make them any more i have one and cannot understand why they dont make them any more i have had mine for 30plus years and it is still, going had to replace the motor and one hose ,I burn at least 12 cord a year and at one time i was heating a barn with a wood furnace and for about 15 yrs burned 25 to 30 cord a yr.cant say enough about it. i am now looking for brass side rails for it can any one help.TKS

Didier Splitter

I just replaced the motor on mine. Originally it had a 4 HP but I settled for a 3 1/2 (I'm frugal). The 6 HP is probably a better choice. My 3 1/2 dies when going through heavy or knotted stuff. But, I love the splitter, it does great work. My only other replacement was the HP hydraulic hose that Jake my dog chewed through. He's nuts.:biggrin:

I have LMF19 going by the chart below. Cycle time is painfully slow(about 30 seconds). Anybody know what pump would help. Seems to be a Haldex Hydraulic Pump-11 GPM 2-Stage #1001689 or a speeco pump are the primary ones availble on line(on ebay especially). Splitter is so slow I have been using a maul and will just use the splitter after I have split the "easy" would off the rounds.

Also. most of the wording on my screen at this site is in German(I think). Any clue why, it never used to be and I can't read German to try and figure out how to switch it back

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back