Didier splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just inherited what I think is a Didier labeled as Agway. I'm getting it from my grandfather and it hasn't been run for a few years. Hopefully I can get it going again.

After 3 hours of grinding, welding and drilling the new valve is installed.I start it and I'm amazed,no leaks.
I pull on the lever to extend the ram and nothing.
Push the lever into the return with the detent and it extends. :msp_mad:
It's backwards.
I knew it was to easy.
I have to swap the hard lines to make it work correctly.
This means they have to be longer
I'm going to take them to NAPA and see if they can make them longer.

Still have a couple of hours of daylight so I jump on my tractor to try and get some mowing done.It's running like crap.Now I have 2 things to work on

Well
Took the hard lines to NAPA to have them make me longer ones.
The nice counter man pulls out a book and says the 90 degree fittings are $37.50each,thats $150 for just the fittings.I say thank you but thats a lot more then I'm willing to spend.

Go to the local hardware store and pick up some 90 degree black pipe fittings,hoping to make it so I need straight hoses and fittings.
Started messing with it and put 2 90's together and find that the longer tube will fit,now I'm going to try to get the shorter to fit .If this works I'll have $10 instead of around $200 into the conversion.

Five 90 degree elbows and it's ready to go
Split some big stuff and it works well
So much easier having the detent

Just inherited what I think is a Didier labeled as Agway. I'm getting it from my grandfather and it hasn't been run for a few years. Hopefully I can get it going again.

That's the same one I have.Yours looks like it hasn't been used in a long time and could use some TLC.
These things are work horses and probably will last forever with care.
I found all the info, from these great guys on here, to get mine going and make it better.

Didier was a genius,I bet he made a ton of money with the patent

I was thinking about that mod. when I was down on my knee's fighting with some big rounds. I have a full garage and the nice thing about the Didier is how small it is

What is also nice about Triptester's mod to my Didier is that both the table and the lift are removeable and can be 'stored' under the splitter so the splitter really doesn't take up any more storage space than prior to the mod. The only 'storage difference' is that it is taller.

Shari

just bought didier splitter need info

just picker up splitter newer 6.5 hp motor cylinder leaks
cant find much info
appears to be 4 in h series
need to rebuild very handy but never worked on hydro
how difficult to replace seals?
also any info would be great
need to replace brass slides worn out any idea where to get parts?

Congratulations on your Didier find
I know there is a lot of posts in this thread but all your questions and more are answered if you read through.

Don
I can't help you as I took mine to a hydraulic shop to have repaired.
One of these good guys on this site will have the info for you.

Tom

Didier Manuals

I just picked up a Didier log splitter at a garage sale. Would not start but took a gamble on it. I was able to get it running and it worked ok for a while but then started to only work intermittently. So far I found and repaired a kicked suction line and a worn valve lever (was not moving the spool enough). Last night I tested the piston seals as described somewhere on this forum (great source of info) and the seals seem to be passing allot of fluid. The next step is to pull the cylinder apart and see if anyone local can provide new seals. I am looking for some info on how to disassemble my cylinder. My splitter was sold as an Agway and has a model number of 19S on the tag. The cylinder end has three bolts that hold the piston wiper in place. How do I remove the shaft seal behind the wiper? Snap ring? Threaded? Can someone provide a manual? Thanks for your advice.

Hi guys, was just given a Monty Ward splitter

Thank goodness I've found your forum. It doesn't run and it looks like this is the place I need to be at to figure it out. First, let me post a pic and see if anyone here can tell me what the model is and where to find the manual.View attachment 245508

UPDATE: I just finished reading every post in this thread. Wow. It seems the fastest course to getting this thing up and running is to just order the Harbor Freight Predator engine. I can see myself fussing with the engine for weeks and I need to find out if I've got other issues or not. I need to start splitting wood before time gets away from me. If anyone thinks just replacing the engine outright is a bad idea, please let me know. Also if anyone has the manual, I will be most thankful if you could send it along to [email protected]

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
Hey
Nice splitter,I have the same one.
Looking at the pic I would suggest getting a new engine,I did.It's not worth the time trying to get that one running.I put a lot of time getting mine running and it was to weak to operate the ram.
Replace the engine, change the hydraulic fluid and give it a try.
Mine leaked at the front seal and I had the ram rebuilt with all new seals.

I don't have a manual and don't think it would help much.These splitters are very simple and easy to use

Thanks bigblock. I appreciate the feedback!

Hey
Nice splitter,I have the same one.
Looking at the pic I would suggest getting a new engine,I did.It's not worth the time trying to get that one running.I put a lot of time getting mine running and it was to weak to operate the ram.
Replace the engine, change the hydraulic fluid and give it a try.
Mine leaked at the front seal and I had the ram rebuilt with all new seals.

I don't have a manual and don't think it would help much.These splitters are very simple and easy to use

Hey Guys, good thread, I am stumped about the splitter I just acquired and hopefully someone can tell me something more about it.

Label on the ram and on the beam list this as a speeco but the looks of it say Didier, a search on google brings up nothing about this splitter.

The engine mount is different than a Didier as well.

It runs good and starts on first pull, I am guessing it is a 15 ton unit.

I have read all 18 pages on here about the Didier splitters and I am wondering if they also made speeco products at one time?

View attachment 247165View attachment 247166View attachment 247167View attachment 247168

Back