Diesel Chainsaw on Ebay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one of the Norwegian designed Comets - the model B and following mostly were assambled in Sweden though - the A in Norway.

As far as I know most of the parts actually was made by Jonsereds, and the design was developed into the Jonsereds XA etc........

I would imagine that thing cuts slower and vibrates more than the two strokes of its time. I would not think they made to many of them as it would take all day to cut a 22" log at 3,000rpm then with a gear reduction. Of course at the time it was made a lot of en-ovations were made in chain saw technology. As for starting it, at 49cc I do not think it would be to hard.

Nice thing about it is when you have it under load I suspect you wouldn't have to worry about the mosquitoes. It might however limit your visability and cause your eyes to water. And you thought you were dirty before...

I drive a diesel pickup. I think I'd pass on standing next to the exhaust on that one!

Someone on here needs to buy it and give us a report.

Nice thing about it is when you have it under load I suspect you wouldn't have to worry about the mosquitoes. It might however limit your visability and cause your eyes to water. And you thought you were dirty before...

I drive a diesel pickup. I think I'd pass on standing next to the exhaust on that one!

Someone on here needs to buy it and give us a report.

Maybe it can be converted to run bio-diesel. Then it will smell like french fries when you run it. Talk about "going green"!

Maybe it can be converted to run bio-diesel. Then it will smell like french fries when you run it. Talk about "going green"!

that should make the huggers happy.....

so the comet really isn't a diesel, but a hot tube ignition that happens to run on diesel fuel then? Diesels cycle is compressing air only, then injecting fuel which ignites from heat of compression.

hot tube ignition just replaces the spark plug, but it still breathes in a premixed fuel vapor and compresses fuel + air.

still an impressive machine.
and these boards argue over 1/2 pound and 500 rpms on a limbing saw.......we have it SO good now.

that US military diesel powered Kawasaki motorcycle posted here earlier was fascinating to me. Scott Parkers diesel hydrostatic motorcycle was neat engineering, but the Kaw diesel would be way nice to have a a working vehicle.

kcj

Does anyone know if this is the model that stored propane in the handles that was used to preheat the glowplug that then allowed the saw to start? Also I heard there were ones that used batteries to heat the glow plug,I think they were the models that were sent to America for sale here.
Pioneerguy600

A friend of mine has one and as I recall he said it took about 45min to get it started. You load propane in the handle, then get the burner lit to preheat the cylinder, wait a while, then prime the pressure pump etc. etc. It will run on kero, diesel, or some other thick fuel they had back then. I don't recall all the details but it was a long involved process. The saw collectors book has a lot more info on this saw too.

I wonder what starting it is like with no decomp:dizzy:

I don't imagine it would be that bad. I have a Robin's/Subaru diesel generator that has neither a decomp or glow plugs. The only bad part is when they sew your arm back on without anesthesia.:cry:
Honestly though, it isn't really bad until it kicks you. It will certainly get your attention and you will quickly learn a technique that allows the starter handle to be pulled from your grasp when it does. Unless of course you are the type that likes to lead with his face in a fist fight.:confused:

Does anyone know if this is the model that stored propane in the handles that was used to preheat the glowplug that then allowed the saw to start? Also I heard there were ones that used batteries to heat the glow plug,I think they were the models that were sent to America for sale here.
Pioneerguy600

I believe that is correct.

A friend of mine has one and as I recall he said it took about 45min to get it started. You load propane in the handle, then get the burner lit to preheat the cylinder, wait a while, then prime the pressure pump etc. etc. It will run on kero, diesel, or some other thick fuel they had back then. I don't recall all the details but it was a long involved process. The saw collectors book has a lot more info on this saw too.

As I recall, they could be run on petrol as well, with lots of oil in it.

Latest posts

Back