Diesel Chainsaw on Ebay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The designer is Rasmus Wiig. He made the Comet using parts from Jonsereds factories. Later he designed the XA, first model Jonsered.

There was less than 1000 assembled in Norwegan saw blade factory.
Another 2-3000 assembled by Como in Stockholm.

I belive XA started their serial's were Comet left of, 4000. But I have little hard facts to support this.

The Comet and XA has propane in the handles to heat the the external cumbustion chamber, no glow plug. It is a plugged pipe that is heated til it glows. You must have support hear from propane until the engin is really hot or cools fast.
You can run them on gas, karosene, diesel, bio oil, well just about any fuel.

There are no consistance in the lettering exept for Norwegan made "A"'s and "B"'s. The "S" was initially the first series produced with magnapull as standard. The rest were optional. Fan cover of the S differ a bit from B.

I have "B", "S" and XA.

Not many have had these running. The pumps are not easy to figure out and usually the springs has lost tension.
Most rare of these would be the "M" version. Only seen one or even herd of more than one.

Last edited:
It is the propane version.

Thanks PES+ . As a young lad around the age of 4 a traveling salesman stopped in to my grandfathers farm and was hell bent on showing off one of these saws. I had seen saws started from the time I could walk and it never took all the preheating thing so it really took my attention and all I could remember was them lighting the propane and heating some part of the saw before it could be started. The fellow cut down a big dead cherry tree out back of the blacksmith forge shop and it was a slow process, then he made a few bucking cuts and that went a little better. Unfortunately we did not buy one as if we did I would own it now, my grandfather and my uncle ran McCulloch and you could not persuade them to change brands. Pioneerguy600

I don't imagine it would be that bad. I have a Robin's/Subaru diesel generator that has neither a decomp or glow plugs. The only bad part is when they sew your arm back on without anesthesia.:cry:
Honestly though, it isn't really bad until it kicks you. It will certainly get your attention and you will quickly learn a technique that allows the starter handle to be pulled from your grasp when it does. Unless of course you are the type that likes to lead with his face in a fist fight.:confused:

:biggrinbounce2: I thought maybe it would be tough to kick over due to the usual high compression ratio you see with diesel or other slow burning fuel.

Thanks Magnus; That is a great bit of history on this unique and rare saw. All the info I had ever was from the salesman during his one brief visit to the farm to demonstrate this saw.
Pioneerguy600

I did not pay attention to the reserve

I think I know the saw....I have never seen it but I believe it is not that far from me.

fyi.... i am the owner of that saw and .....YEAP!!!!!!!it does run on diesel and
the handles carries the propane gaz for the "glow plug" which is called a "trandror".......only about a thousand were made.....very rare and collectible item........:) :) :)

Alain,

fyi.... i am the owner of that saw and .....YEAP!!!!!!!it does run on diesel and
the handles carries the propane gaz for the "glow plug" which is called a "trandror".......only about a thousand were made.....very rare and collectible item........:) :) :)

Alain,

So are you the seller or buyer?

Bill

He is the seller.......but he is not all that close to me.

I know of another Comet but it is or was closer......Bebe Plain area

So are you the seller or buyer?

Bill
Alain bought the saw, Bill.

I tranclated the starter insteructions for him.
This will be a challenge!

Tändrör is a external combustion chamber heated with propane gas from the handles.

I thought I had a lead on one several years ago that was up in CA. The conversation just fell away so who knows this might have been the one. In anyevent it went to good hands,

Bill

Back