difference in bar/chain oil??!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if the "wrong" oil decreased bar life by 50%, would anyone notice?

Exactly. I have never ever noticed anything that would effect my wallet EXCEPT for the initial cost of the oil, and when Wally oil is $2-$4 per gallon, you can buy 4-2 jugs for every one jug of "good" stuff.

Tackifiers or no tackifiers, LOL.

Well, now we can end this bar/chain oil discussion with the notion that it doesn't make any difference.......... yeah right, LOL.

Sam

Probably not, but would spending an extra 3 or so dollars a gallon for "better" bar oil be justified? You would have enough money for a new bar saved after 20 tanks.

Edit: Oh I see, you go and add more after I already quoted you. I see how you operate. :cheers:

I buy pricey bars, and I would pay more for better anti-friction oil so they would last longer.

And you mean after 20 gallons of bar oil? That's more that I could use in 2 years. But then, that's about as long as I would expect a bar to last here too. :monkey:

Probably not, but would spending an extra 3 or so dollars a gallon for "better" bar oil be justified? You would have enough money for a new bar saved after 20 tanks.

Edit: Oh I see, you go and add more while I was in the process of quoting you. I see how you operate. :cheers:

Yup, 17.5K post,,,,,2 at a time! :cheers:

Thanks Andy :cheers:

I buy pricey bars, and I would pay more for better anti-friction oil so they would last longer.

And you mean after 20 gallons of bar oil? That's more that I could use in 2 years. But then, that's about as long as I would expect a bar to last here too. :monkey:

So I have been drinking tonight, my math and reasoning aren't so great. :cheers:

So it's a wash?

Not counting that stack of rim-sprockets, less fiddling with chain-tension.

It would be intresting to hear how many true gallons of bar oil goes thru a bar till it's shot,,,,and if there is a savings with the cheeper oil.

Just me, but I lean on the best I can run, the cost is secondary it seems.

So it's a wash?

It would be intresting to hear how many true gallons of bar oil goes thru a bar till it's shot,,,,and if there is a savings with the cheeper oil.

Shoer, being a scientist and all I will work this out for you. Send me 2 Windsor Speed tip bars for the 2171 and a bunch of oil and I will tell you which one is the best. Unbiased and all. :cheers:

I hand file bar rails, and will honestly say that there seems a differance in how much 'U' or knife-edge the chain will put in if you turn the oiler down too much or running drain-oil.

Drain oil does take out pumps... and really pisses me off when I work on the filthy pos that uses it.:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

So it's a wash?

I am basically admitting to using the cheapest oil made (I think) and I have never experienced those problems. My rim sprocket are not made from aluminum alloy, LOL, so I'm not sure how anyone goes through that many of those things.

I do use Stihl chains and bars or GB bars. But the oil is the cheapest that money can get and in the summer of 2006, we used Wally oil and everyone that I cut with had the same bar at the end of the year that they started with and there wasn't anything wrong with them either. I use 28" typically not some 20" bar on a 660.

I just don't see how better/more expensive oil would provide any finacial benefit to anyone who used a saw any less.

My opinion,

Sam

No way am I using drain oil for bar oil, nooooo wayyy. I use it to lube the drive chains on the crawler cranes at work.

Oh. How bout that. :cheers:

Now that cracked me up! :cheers:

Time for a shot, here's to mud in your eye!

attachment.php

:cheers:

Wow!

I have to say I am glad I found this site. You know you have a problem when a four page thread about bar oil is interesting and exciting!:clap:
:greenchainsaw:

As far as the oil goes, I think Im gonna stick with the stihl oil, but it sounds like it may be a wash when you compare the extra oil cost to the cost of a new bar....This may never be solved without a true test.

I run primarily Gold Bond oil for my bar oil and have yet to have any probs with bars or chain in over 25 years so I see no reason to change now. I also use the same bar / chain oil on my machine tools ways and they too also look great after all these years.

I've done a lot of checking around and here is how the Stihl we carry at our shop compares to what's available locally.
A gallon of Stihl for 8.99$
TSC sells Husky oil for 11.99$
Walmart sells Poulan for 7.99$
Local Lumber yard sells Poulan brand for 15.99$
Local hardware sells what looks like waste oil for 10.99$ a gallon

Husky and Stihl both seem comparable. Poulan looks like engine oil. I swear what the hardware store just repackaged waste oil, and was the color of Guinness.

I bought some TSC brand bar oil from my TSC the other day for $4.99 per gallon.

Rob

Back