difference in bar/chain oil??!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isnt worth it to me to mess around with bar oil or mix oil. I know everyone is trying to save a buck wherever they can anymore, but I keep my saws and bar/chains in top condition. Stihl oils have always performed well, so I will keep using them. its not only quality, but peace of mind.

Edit: My saws dont sit on a shelf all the time either, I use them hard when I use them, and no problems with burnt chains or bars.

Last edited:
Isnt worth it to me to mess around with bar oil or mix oil. I know everyone is trying to save a buck wherever they can anymore, but I keep my saws and bar/chains in top condition. Stihl oils have always performed well, so I will keep using them. its not only quality, but peace of mind.

Edit: My saws dont sit on a shelf all the time either, I use them hard when I use them, and no problems with burnt chains or bars.

Can't argue with that.

I use durex and I like it better than stihl oil. It SEEMS to have more takkieness than stihl. Got it on sale at bi-mart for 5.25 a gal I think

wish I could get it by the barrel:cry: :cry:

I use durex and I like it better than stihl oil. It SEEMS to have more takkieness than stihl. Got it on sale at bi-mart for 5.25 a gal I think

wish I could get it by the barrel:cry: :cry:

I use mostly Durex too. Good stuff. Same place (Bi-Mart). They make it in Portland. Maybe give them a call for barrel supply.

And that guy on another thread said that talking about chainsaws turned his date off at a bar... geez, this thread is getting pretty steamy over bar... lube. :dizzy:

Hard to beat Stihl chain oil. The best I used though was Texaco Clingtex, haven't seen it for years.

I remember when I was young my dad used clingtex and said it was the best stuff out there. I also remember him curing after Ultramar took over all the local Texaco's and he could never get it again.

if you're a firewood cutter, perhaps go with the cheap stuff.

otherwise, may as well fire up the furnace...

More oil talk

I have used Super Tech, TSC, Husky, and Do It (hardware store), others as well I'm sure and noticed some are thicker than others, some are tackier, and I think it was the Husky oil that really smelled of sulphur. I am sure that in this case the high sulphur is probably a good thing as sulphur is a good lubricant. I only cut firewood and go through a few gallons each year, spread out over a number of saws I don't notice bar wear as being significant. Using enough oil seems to be as important or even more important that what brand of oil for the "casual" user like myself.

Mark

Of course there are technologies out there that require no lubrication...

attachment.php

So I dont really want to open up the age old argument, but are there differences between certain brands of Bar/Chain Lube? I had been using stihl oil, but bought some husky oil that was on sale the other day and the husky oil seemed A LOT stickier. After I poured the oil in, I had an Oil string go from the saw, up the side of the pickup and into the box. Can I just go to Wal Mart and start buying cheap lube, or does it really make a difference?

I am not trolling here! Serious ???
I know this is an old post, but I have had really good luck with the poulan in the green can. I just went through a gallon from walmart for 8 bucks. nice and tacky, no smoking. I was researching to see if I could find something better, but heard Stihl went to some inferior product.

holy old thread revival :cry: :laugh:
i run itasca bar oil from my local co-op 8$ gallon its tacky tacky tacky but not thick or thin.
i have also ran regular motor oil either sae 30 or 40 it works fine in the summer it was new not used.
don't run used oil in your saws oiler its a nasty smelly mess and it is hard on the oiler pump.

This thread needs an update as it is now more than 15 years later. Here is the best independent review I have seen on the subject. It is an eye opener as to just how much of a difference your choice in bar oil makes. There is a clear winner between 6 common brands.

20 some years ago forum member Walt Galer told us that thin non tacky bar oil was the best. Looks like he was right.
But in reality it really doesn't matter for 99% of the guys on this site as they will never wear out a bar from normal use.
I can say when I logged I used the cheapest bar oil I could find, which was either Walmart Supertech or Cam2 from Menards. Used hydro oil in a pinch some too. Never had any bar or chain issues.
The idea of spending alot of money on bar oil is crazy to me.

Latest posts

Back