"Different" 2-cycle oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Wal-Mart to get some Poulan weed eater 2-cycle synthetic oil. I usually get Amsoil but my distributor is down with cancer. Didn't have any so thought I would research this other oil they have now, Pure Guard Universal-Mix Synthetic Blend 2-cycle oil. Came home and got on my laptop and found that it is made by Omni Industries, Shreveport, LA, makers and blenders of Stihl Oil!! How about that one!! Cheaper than Amsoil and a lot cheaper than Stihl oil at $3.97 for 16 oz!!!

just get the echo synthetic and you will be very very happy best mix oil i have used and it is cheap to but is very good stuff. :rock:

Andy what 2-cycle oil do you use?

I've been testing a few different oils. Some offer out standing film strength but burn a little dirty AKA Klotz R50, others seem have both film strength and burn clean. Motul 800 off road, Motul 710, Bely-Ray H1R and Maxima K2 all seem to work equally well. At the moment I'm running K2 in most of my saws, and I'm trying Motul 800 in a few others, both are mixed a 32:1.

I've been testing a few different oils. Some offer out standing film strength but burn a little dirty AKA Klotz R50, others seem have both film strength and burn clean. Motul 800 off road, Motul 710, Bely-Ray H1R and Maxima K2 all seem to work equally well. At the moment I'm running K2 in most of my saws, and I'm trying Motul 800 in a few others, both are mixed a 32:1.
And no excess carbon build up on the spark plugs? Very interesting!!

As long as the oil is full synthetic for air cooled engines with the following norms API TC, JASO FC/FD, ISO L-EGD, I don't care a second what name is on the bottle. I just buy the brand on sale. The oil I am using at the moment is a generic brand from a motorcycle accessory store.

FWIW Spectrum (used to, this may have changed in the last few years) blend US Echo, Shinny, Dolmar and Husky oils and Omni blended Stihl (to a Castrol/Stihl specification)
Stihl also imported some Castrol/Stihl oil from Europe at times.

i actually bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago when i bought my new fs250 and got the 6 pack of stihl ultra to double the warranty (like its gonna do anygood) but im gonna test it out to see if theres any differences in the running of my equipment

Have you tried Motul 800 Road Racing?? The bike shop was out of stock on the Off Road yesterday so i bought the Road Racing and used it all day and not that anything will grenade i'm just wondering if its as good as the Off Road for saws.

Have you tried Motul 800 Road Racing?? The bike shop was out of stock on the Off Road yesterday so i bought the Road Racing and used it all day and not that anything will grenade i'm just wondering if its as good as the Off Road for saws.

No I have not.

For the most part it's the exact same oil, consider them interchangeable. I believe the Road race oil has a slightly higher flash point, and is slightly more viscous, so it may smoke a little more, but I highly doubt you'll notice any difference.

I've noticed that the stihl ultra has a cleaning ability for older used engines. I'm curious if the dirt bike oils also have this ability?

AnyShine: You got any opinion about *if* the oils viscosity being different
that a person could (or a saw carb rather ) would show any difference
in the atomization of the fuel mix?
I'm thinking would be subtle like like using winter blend gasoline
in summer blend ambient temperatures.

my contribution to todays oil thread clusterflick

Latest posts

Back